HELICOPTER CRASH JASPERS BRUSH

Thanx guys. And thanx Owen, ive always said your a wordsmith mate..

We are all trying to move on, which for the most part is working. Just every now and then something pops up that ticks things off again.

Like Nev said, if we are involved in flying long enough then we are bound to be touched by tragedy and I certainly have before, although to be only feet away from a fellow aviator when he dies, and feel the helplesness, is something I would not wish on anyone.

But I have to say, we have all banded together, we were a tight bunch before this and now we have a new, albeit tragic, level to our friendships.

As Owen said, the props are turning (when its nort raining) and we wont allow our flying spirits to be broken.

Thanx Rach, you and owen really helped us through.

cheers

• Like 3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear from you Andy. There will always be some of it there. All we can really do is strive for a safer environment, ( which seems sterile and boring perhaps). Point is, there are too many people I know, and by extrapolation others would know, dying in their flying pursuits. Nev

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidh10
The ATSB have released their preliminary findings from the investigation.http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/3545490/ao-2012-021_prelim1.pdf

Yes. Interesting. I read it the day it was released. Looks like we await the final report to see if a potential cause is suggested.

I wonder if this occurrence will prompt many R44 owners to hasten their fuel tank upgrade, as per the Service Bulletin 78? and ATSB's action to send this preliminary report to all R44 owners. While the other occurrences quoted in the report would suggest that the risk is low across the entire fleet, if you happen to be in one that is involved in an accident that is subject to a fuel tank rupture and resulting fuel fed fire, then the chances of survival seem rather low from that cause alone.

Again it would seem to represent the strange human outlook on risk management. It is well worth investing in a lottery ticket, but not worth acting on a service bulletin before the mandatory compliance date, where that represents a possibly similar (or more likely) chance of a serious or lethal outcome. Generically, something for everyone to consider.

Yes David. We had some lawyers out from the USA this week. They are representing clients who were badly burnt ina dynamic rollover and post crash fire in an R44.

Both horribly burnt, but survived.

Im not aloud to say too much (had to sign an agreement with ATSB) but there is NO WAY id ever put my butt in an un modded (fuel tanks) r44. The moment that rotor struck the ground, the contents of the fuel tank emptied into the back seat, already alight.

The rotor gear box has a fuel tank on each side of it. All that energy has to go somewhere , and in this case it sent bits of the gearbox straight into the fuel tank.

The high energy vortex created by the rotor does not just dissapate the moment the rotor stops, it continued for a long time after, forcing air into the fire. Perfect conditions for the rapid spreading of fire, fuel mixed with

high energy ram air. Still shots taken from the video show clearly a mini tornado of fire wrapping around the mast and entering the cabin.

If you know anyone operating a robbo, please, tell them to get the modd done...ASAP

Guest pookemon

I can't believe the 2004(?) Safety Notice mentioned in the ATSB report - All people travelling in R44's should wear a fire suit, gloves, helmet etc.

OMG

• 1 year later...

The final ATSB report is out:http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2012/aair/ao-2012-021.aspx

I would classify the trigger, reaching to close the door as Human Factors - something for me to take away. I've taken off with a Cherokee hatch unlocked and blowing a gale, reached across at maybe 200 feet above the strip and yanked it shut. Could easily have been me.

Yea tubz. Human factors alright. robbo

Now the official report is out I guess i can shed a bit more light on what happend.

The guys in the chopper were there a few hours earlier to set up for the filming. I was helping them with the seating as I didnt like the way the camera man was sitting half out of the chopper with the camera on his lap, mainly because he looked very 'stuck' in his position and leaning heavily on the pilots seat. we worked out a better way for him to transit to the shoot location and then he could set up to film, it was the takeoff and landing at jaspers i had concerns with.

I was standing with the pilot when he took a phone call from the location crew, and he said ' i will need 11 minutes transit, one minute to get redi and airbourne, so give me 12 minutes warning before i have to be there'.. At the time i thought man, one minute to load up, pre start check, engine warm and run, and then takeoff.. bit rushed, but he was a commercial pilot and obviulsy knew what he was doing, and I was not there in any official capacity, only being the gracious host.

So when the call did come, some 1 and half hours later, they were loaded and had the thing started in seconds.. A brief run and then it lifted off.. The pilots door was seen opened (not by me) and his hand shot out to grab it.. At that moment the choppa sat on its tail rotor and then pitched wildly forward and rolled over.. Other than the blades going all over the place and digging huge clumps of dirt up, it was a soft accident, no real impact damage. Myself and several others were not succesful in getting the pilot out before the fire got to him. The camera man was deceased instantly. (IMHO)

Human factors as you say tubz was the biggest lesson we all took from the days events. Both front doors were actually left open, not just the pilots. Im not going to point fingers in a public forum, it could happen to anyone. But we now have a small stone with an inscription marking the spot where it happened. We all taxi past this stone before every flight, and I always without fail, use it as a reminder to take my time, check again, and do it right. The consequence for complacency can be unspeakable.

ps. I was recently awarded (undeservedly) a commendation for bravery for trying to get the pilot out. I didnt do anything that my instructors and other members didnt do, so I accepted it on all their behalves. Ive never seen bravery like that from my friends, running towards a burning, popping, exploding wreck with no fear of their own safety. Its a memory I will have forever and im so proud to call them all my friends.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 2