HELICOPTER CRASH JASPERS BRUSH

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it was an R44, quite a nice one, we taxied out past them before they departed, when we arrived at YWOL 15 mins later, we were told it had crashed with the loss of the crew. quite a shocking and nauseating feeling really.

also sadly, it came down right in front of the clubhouse witnessed by the usually crowd there as well as a few younger children..

at the moment Andy, (motz) and Liz are quite shaken up and needing our support.

• Like 2

Thanx Rob.

Probably shouldn't be posting yet, im still quite shaken. I would say that the ATSB will have an answer to what went wrong very quickly, they have been provided video of the accident.

Basically something went terribly wrong as it was lifting off. The tail struck the ground and then flipped upside down. The fire started instantly, and by the time myself and Cory had extinguishers on it, it had taken hold. Unfortunately both crew were still inside. I honestly did my best to get to them. But the fire was too hot, and flarring badly. Once the extinguishers were spent all we could do was keep people away.

It was an horrific thing to see happen. Please give a thought to the family's, aswell as my staff, Cory, Liz, Alex and chad. Everybody did their best. The feeling of hopelessness was pretty overcoming.

• Like 12

Motz I feel for everyone involved. I've seen my good mate crash his plane and trapped in there I felt hopeless to get him out but luckily he survived. My heart goes out to you all. I'll never get over it but time certainly helps to dull the vision left in my brain. Talking to friends helped me mate. Gundy

Andrew, you and your staff did all you could with what resources you had available, and no-one could have done more. My condolences to the families and friends of the deceased, and my deepest admiration for your courage in the face of overwhelming adversity.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

You can only do what is possible Andy. When the outcome is bad don't take the whole weight of the event upon yourself . It's beyond your control. You did all that could be expected of you. My thoughts are with you all. These are down times for all of us . Nev

• Like 2

The details of the accident sound too awful to think about right now. I agree with dieselton, you did all you could with what you had available. Even if a fire truck was available, I doubt they could have put the fire out in time to save the crew. I just hope they didn't suffer. A couple of us were flying back from the south coast and decided to go by jaspers for a touch and go. As we arrived over head we were told the airfield was closed due to an aviation incident. As we departed we could see the horrible scene below. My sincerest condolences to the families and may the victims rest the in peace.

Bluey

Guest Maj Millard

I know you all did your best down there motz, these things are set to test us on occasions. It wasn't their day unfortunatly, but don't feel it was your fault alone that they didn't make it.

Thanx Rob.Probably shouldn't be posting yet, im still quite shaken. I would say that the ATSB will have an answer to what went wrong very quickly, they have been provided video of the accident.

Basically something went terribly wrong as it was lifting off. The tail struck the ground and then flipped upside down. The fire started instantly, and by the time myself and Cory had extinguishers on it, it had taken hold. Unfortunately both crew were still inside. I honestly did my best to get to them. But the fire was too hot, and flarring badly. Once the extinguishers were spent all we could do was keep people away.

It was an horrific thing to see happen. Please give a thought to the family's, aswell as my staff, Cory, Liz, Alex and chad. Everybody did their best. The feeling of hopelessness was pretty overcoming.

Sorry you had to go through that mate, that would be terrible, try not to blame yourself and wonder if you could have done something differently, things will improve as time goes by.

Regards Richard.

I'm a long way removed from the incident Motz, so I don't know what happened or how you handled yourself. But I have a fair idea of what sort of person you are from the well thought out posts you contribute here, you obviously have respect from the people who know you, and certainly from me, as a fellow forumite. Given this, I'm sure you did all that was possible in the circumstances prevalent during this tragic event.

I've found in my previous life as a volunteer ambulance officer, that after a stressful call out it was very beneficial to sit down with anyone involved, and if possible, someone who was not involved, and talk through the events. This will reinforce that what you did was all you could have done given the circumstances at the time. It will also give you the opportunity to talk about your feelings at the time with people who were involved - it's a great way to debrief.

All the best Motz, to you and Cory, and the others involved.

My sincere sympathy to the families who have lost loved ones.

RIP

Pud

• Like 2

Agree with what Pud has said regarding the hot debrief. Sometimes called CISM (Critical Incident Stress Management), its very necessary and hopefully if you contact the emergency services they can provide advice on gaining access to a mediator.

My thoughts are with you all and please remember talking about it with others involved, however painful, is an important part of the healing process.

Stay safe

Phil

What a shock, you can only do what you can do at the time, no less no more, it may sound hard but that's it, there is no good in saying "if only ", there just wasn't, it may sound hard and harsh but that is how life is anyway, as was offered by others Motz, call any time. You really should talk to someone it is a critical incident and if you contact the fire fighters they have someone trained in critical incident debriefs that would be local to you, it's free and that person can debrief your whole team and in fact all that were there on the day. In my previous life i did critical incident debriefs every week so know that they help.

Bob.

• Like 1

It is unquestionably to credit of every person at the accident scene, that all that could have been done was done; there was nothing more that anyone could possibly have done; the catastrophic wreckage site speaks volumes about this unsalvageable situation.

You all have nothing to reproach yourselves about; you did all you could do and all that was humanly possible to do. Please understand, none of this was anyone’s fault it was an unforeseeable horrible accident. Our sympathies and our sincere condolences go out to the families of the two deceased persons, may the dead now RIP.

In turn, we must now turn our attentions to life and to the full happy recovery of all who witnessed this sad accident and, all those who were or are somehow involved.

We must rightfully focus on our cohesive efforts to rebuild and re-engage within our beloved sport, hobby and joyous pastime in being “The Very Best of Pilots” and in our taking once more to our place, high in the clear blue warm skies …. we valiant happy few; - we must once again, - Reach For the Sky!

You know my phone number; I’m here for you if you need me, just call.

Wow. Guys. I can't tell you how much support we feel frOm your cOmments above. I'm sincerely touched.thankyou all.

My team and I are currently assisting the atsb and the police, and a rolling debrief sessiOn with a councilor has been going on for a couple if hours. Interrupted briefly by one of the local residents that felt the néed to attend the airfield and make the following statement to several atsb and police.

" oh, wouldnt it have been better if one of the offenders ( local pilots) crashed and died, it would prove our point."

This statement was made in the presence of sone who witnessed the accident and attempted the rescue.

At this point in time I was questiong humanity, how could a persOn apposed to the airfield ( a member if the anti jsapers brush airfield action group) turn up to a crash site and attempt to use the tragic deaths of two abiators as sone sort of weapon in a political campaign. I was beside myself with grief and anger after hearing this statement.

But then I open this website an read the encouraging words and advice and I realize that our community is a tightnit bunch of good blOkes ( and girls) I thank you all for evrything.

When I recall the events of yesterday I do have a sence of pride in my staff, the image burnt into my brain is of All of them running towards, not away from an exploding helicopter with zero regard for their own safety. Its a scene that will stay with me for the rest of my life and I am trying to gain comfort from the fact that all of my guys through evrything they could into trying to save the crew.

Guest davidh10

A really bad situation, Motz. One nobody ever wants or imagines they will encounter. I'm glad you and all others involved are getting good support.

Chin up. Time and talking about it will help. Sounds as though everyone did what was possible. As you say, there is a degree of pride that everyone did do whatever they could to assist, albeit that the situation was obviously beyond the available resources.

As pilots, we all know and understand the risks of flying, but accept on balance that it is a pretty safe past time. Still, just as on the roads, horrible accidents do happen from time to time.

My best thoughts and prayers for all involved.

Guest Maj Millard

I know the type Motz...lower than a snakes belly in a wheel rut !...........we had similiar problems with neighbors at an airfield in the past. We had one turn up at a council hearing with telephoto lens photos of us pissing around the back of a hangar !! ............and tried to make the point that we didn't have toilet facilities, which we did. I mean who hasn't ducked behind the hangar for a quick 'nervous pee' before hopping in the cockpit ??!!! Old habit from way back ,...Low I say.....013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Wow. Guys. I can't tell you how much support we feel frOm your cOmments above. I'm sincerely touched.thankyou all.. Interrupted briefly by one of the local residents that felt the néed to attend the airfield and make the following statement to several atsb and police.

" oh, wouldnt it have been better if one of the offenders ( local pilots) crashed and died, it would prove our point."

This statement was made in the presence of sone who witnessed the accident and attempted the rescue.

At this point in time I was questiong humanity, how could a persOn apposed to the airfield ( a member if the anti jsapers brush airfield action group) turn up to a crash site and attempt to use the tragic deaths of two abiators as sone sort of weapon in a political campaign. I was beside myself with grief and anger after hearing this statement.

Andy,

My heart goes out to you and everyone else that was there who witnessed this tragic turn of events.

Don't be at all hard on yourselves as obviously you all tried the best to save the souls onboard the aircraft, I say look at it this way you could all have stood back and not attempted anything as many would do in the situation that confronted you.

But you didn't you used what tools you had at your disposal at the time and put yourself in some serious danger trying to save other human beings.

You should be commended for your actions and bravery.

Regarding the Mr or Mrs R Sole that passed the above comment, they are the lowest form of scum in my opinion, how could another decent human being wish the death of an aviator or more so a local aviator and fellow human is beyong belief.

What goes around will come around not that I wish any harm on them.

You just should of given the induvidual a right turn Clyde it would have been worth the charge and you probably would have got away with it in a court of law under the circumstances.

Keep you head high and be proud of what you and your mate tried to accomplish even though the odds where far against you.

In my opinion you's both are a heros.

Regards

Alf Jessup

• Like 1

Motz and crew that were present. I've been thinking about this one most of the day. In my previous life I was a Policeman and saw some horrific scenes. From what I can tell you guys have sadly joined the club. Rest assured we are all thinking of you and the familys, and your family because it will have an effect. Do talk to your friends about it (over a beer if you drink). Do go through your actions in your head but remember that what you did was the best action at the time. And the likely hood of a different outcome would be minimal.

If you are struggling see a cousellor. I have and sometimes it can help. Best of luck and from what I see and read you should consider yourself and assisting crew Hero's.

Jim

• Like 1

Motz,

Been thinking about this a lot and reading the comments... trying to find the words to say something that is of use.

I have spent some time chatting with the Jaspers Mob... and I have formed the opinion that what you are doing down there deserves our utmost respect. You guys are a Squadron... You are the Squadron Leader. The scene as you have described tells me that you guys are going to be OK... No one among you is alone with this... You have set a shining example.

It is ironic... You guys could go work in a Coal mine and earn 3 times the money most instructors are earning... You are all there because of a passion... It shows.

Thanks. And condolences to the Family's of the Deceased.