HELICOPTER CRASH JASPERS BRUSH

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Motz

Thinking of you and your people for all that you tried to do, and of those who perished for all that they achieved in their lives.

Blue skies and no dud landings, guys...

Best

kaz

Motz, my deepest sympathy goes out to all of you who were involved with the accident and also to the families of the deceased.

I can`t say I know how you all feel because I don`t , but I can say, I do know how it feels to have to deal with a fatal aircraft accident.

A guy who was a student and friend of mine when I was instructing and obtained his AUF/RAA pilot certificate in my Drifter, crashed his Gyro here on the property and didn`t survive the accident.

When any of us do the best we can, we can`t do any better at that time.

May you all find peace.

Frank.

Motz, all our care and support to you Liz and others who put their best foot forward. You were very brave people and the poor souls numbers were up. Very hard to live with sometimes. Make sure you take advantage of any help offered in terms of counseling and support.

Thank you all again. I can't tell you the difference even a little bit of suport makes. Ive had numerous calls from forumites aswel as strangers who just wanted to offer support.

My heart goes out to the family's of the men, and i would like to think that at some stage in the future i could contact them and some how assure them we all tried our best to save them.

I dont know why, but its keeping me awake at night worrying that the families will think bad of me for not doing more. Is probably silly, but none the less, its bugging me.

Things are starting to settle down, tomorrow we will be removing the wreckage from the scene, hopefully after that we can start to get some resemblance of normality back.

Im sure the ATSB will release a preliminary report quite soon, as they have quite a lot of evidence to work with, including video, and 8 witnesses, most of whom are pilots.

The investigators have a pretty good idea where to focus there attention so hopefully sooner rather then later something will come out that can be used to help educate pilots and prevent

this sort of thing happening again.

Thanx again you mob..:)

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

Don't over analyse it, Motz. You can't go back in time and change anything. Hindsight is a curse in this sort of situation and I'm sure that anyone in your situation would be suffering self doubts. I believe it is all part of the aftermath of such a very unpleasant experience. Use the counselling help available. You need to talk it out and realise that you did what was possible at the time.

Motz, sorry for not contributing earlier, my heartfelt sympathies go oy to everyone at Jasper's, your comments about everyone running to help we're spot on, be proud of what you did and know this was not a fight you could win but the victims and their families will always in their spirits know what you did.Chin up mate!

Our thoughts are with you all.

• Like 1

Let me echo the sentiments here Motz. The courage and cool-headedness shown by you and your staff in the face of danger and tragedy was exemplary, but not surprising coming from the sort of person we've come to know and respect on the forums and chat. Best wishes as you, Cory and others involved work through the trauma and sincere condolences to the families of those lost.

Peter

• Like 3

Motz,

Can I just say with pride, yes pride i have an association with a hero, YOU, sure you may not see it that way but look at the facts, the accidents disturbs your sleep and you are keen to contact the family too, it shows how so much you care. You took control of a life threatening situation and although the final concussion was not good, there were no extra casulties thanks to your direction and control, I call that being a hero. Within a community there are always heros lurking, it may be anyone totally unexpected within that group, when the chips are down these people come to the fore. So Motz what did you do, came to the fore and put your self at risk and used anything and everything available to try to come to a good conclusion, I think that is the description of a hero.

Bob.

• Like 2

Chin up and shoulders back Motz.

Most of us weren't there, so we don't know for sure, but from what we're hearing, you and your team did the best you could with what you were dealt.

Nobody can ask for more than that.

So chin up and shoulders back Mate. It may seem callous, but you're a good man and it's what we expect of you.

• Like 2

Hi Motz, just wanted to echo all the comments made here. I don't know you personally or the exact circumstances, but your posts on this site have given me a good impression of the sort of person you are, and I am absolutely sure you did all you possibly could, and you should be commended for your bravery. I am also sure the families of the unfortunate casualties believe you did all you possibly could too. When your time is up, it's up.

As for the crass, unfeeling piece of scum who made that comment about "offenders" he will get his just desserts one way or another. I think he has done more to harm his "cause" than anything else.

Time will dim the pain, and I hope all of you who were there will soon be able to get on with enjoying life and aviation again.

Best Regards

Neil

I dont know why, but its keeping me awake at night worrying that the families will think bad of me for not doing more. Is probably silly, but none the less, its bugging me.

What more could you have done Andy? You did the best you could and that is to be honoured, including the others involved.

All the best to you and your staff.

• Like 1

Yes, both these guys led extraordinary lives, and alot of what they did was dangerous. Thats what makes it all the harder to come to terms with as the accident was almost as simple as a dynamic roll over. Not quite but almost. When you read of some of the narrow escapes both of them had from seemingly 'real' dangers, it hammers home how carefull we all need to be. There is no such thing as a quick little flight, every flight needs the same attention paid.

Thanx again to all who have expressed suport. Its time to suck it up now and get on with it. Ive attempted to contain the bullsh!t on some other aviation forums aswel as in the media.

The video will not be released for public consumption. We feel The learning benefits from the outcome to the investigation will suffice.

I spoke to The ATSB this morning and they have assured me this investigation will be a quick one to be resolved, due to many things, the video, the amount of witnesses and the fact almost all were pilots.

We all will be attending the funeral in Melbourne next week, and we are hoping this will give us all some closure.

All our thoughts are with the families now..We have done all we can at this end. Ret urfed the area and laid a small stone and a plaque so the familys have a place in the future should they want it.

Cheers lads and thanx again..

This is a very sad event to say the very least. Take some time and check Mike's website.http://mikedegruy.com/

Ozzie, Thank you so much for the link.

I havn`t had time to look at all of the web sit but what I have, has realy impressed me.

Is this one of the men in the accident?

Frank.

My heart-felt feelings go out to all concerned at Jaspers over this sad situation, over which, it was not humanly possible for those closeby, to have more control over the situation.

Sadly, even had essential services been close to hand, the outcome may have not been much different.

To Andy and the others who did all that it was possible for them to do, try to sleep with the knowledge that you did just that, and no one could ask for more.

My thoughts have also been with friends who departed just prior to this catastrophe, who must have been in shock on hearing the very sad news minutes later, but having lost their phone numbers, have not been able to contact them to offer a little support for he shock that they must have endured on hearing this tragic news.

Today, Saturday 18/2/12 .... I'm sitting here in my study, just on the other side of Mt. Coolongata near to Jaspers Brush Airfield .... I'm a bit off colour gain today and so, I'm just taking it steady .... But!!! I'm listening, ------- I'm listening on 118.850 Mhz and I'm hearing radio traffic from aircraft operating out of Jaspers Brush ---- I'm hearing Aircraft flying over my roof, I'm hearing Liz and others up in the sky ..... and, it dawned on me, that a new dawn has now arrived at Jaspers and, the darkness of a tragic event is slowly lifting away and, --- we as flyers and pilots have once again returned to our rightful place, high in the clear blue sky we love.

It is truly beautiful to know such valiant men and women.

• Like 10

Hard to respond to that thoughtful and perhaps painful reflection. I have had a lot of friends die in the last few years in aviation accidents. My response is "Is it all worth it" Most of it would have been preventable in "ideal" circumstances, but why would we expect ideal circumstances to exist just for us. We do engage in a dangerous sport which is totally unforgiving of any mistake where it is crucial to positive outcomes. That is the nature of aviation. It always was and always will be. You do have to move on at some point. If it disturbs you , do something else., because you have to protect yourself from grief, but remenber we all die one day and some have never done anything challenging so live lesser lives, although they may be longer. Nev

• Like 2

In the aftermath of such a disaster it's at least gratifying to read so many posts encouraging counselling, debriefs and contact points for these services. Too many try soldiering on and eventually find it returns to bite them bigtime. Maybe this could be a topic for RAAus mag - don't ever recall reading one?

My sincere condolences to family, friends and witnesses.

• Like 1

I encourage any discussion on the value of debriefing and counselling following a traumatic event. I know you guys will remain strong and that you can draw on each other for strength when it gets a bit tough. My thoughts are with you all. You know where I am if you need anything. Rach.

• Like 4