Trainee Pilot - Tooradin (YTDN) Victoria

TurboJetta83

Hello Everyone,

I've just started flying training with Aus Air Services (Tooradin Flying School) at Tooradin Airfield (YTDN). Finally undertaking my boyhood dream of becoming a pilot.

Just want to express that this is a fantastic site and place rich with valuable information. I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning from all the experienced (and similarly new) pilots within this community.

Happy Flying,

Jack

• Like 2

Welcome Jack,

I learned to fly at Tooradin, It may take a little longer to learn due to constant crosswind.

The crosswind become reassuring after awhile and I find landing straight into wind harder.

In your profile aircraft is J170, What aircraft are you having lessons with, J160/ J170.

The J160 floats less on hot days.

Ron

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I'm getting the feeling that I'll be contending with cross-wind landings rather frequently. Oh well, the more experience the better.

Gareth, you're a little bit ahead of me - glad you're loving it, I'm certain that I will be too. I already am!

Ron, my first lesson was in the J170. I'm not sure if all my training will remain on the J170, or whether I'll have some lessons in the J160 also.

Cheers,

Jack

Guest davidh10
...I'm getting the feeling that I'll be contending with cross-wind landings rather frequently. Oh well, the more experience the better.

You will end up a better pilot than those who constantly shy away from cross-winds and then get caught at an aerodrome with no into wind runway, often with a poor outcome.

As you progress past solo, take the opportunity to fly in all sorts of (safe but challenging) weather conditions while you have your instructor on-board to guide you.

Congratulations on commencing fulfilment of your dream.

Welcome Jack,

There's a lot to be said for learning in a crosswind... When I went for my initial license check (a long time ago now), my instructor was sweating it wouldn't be a calm day, for he'd not been able to show me how to land in calm conditions... And I'm still saying a lot about it.

022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Gday Jack,

Good strip to learn at. Cross wind 90% of the time (book early flights initially) Right & Left circuits & a cross grass strip for engine out practice.

Have fun

H

Guest pookemon

Welcome Jack. We've got 3 runways here at Ballarat - all of them Crosswind! The other day I had to take off with nil Crosswind - and it just felt weird! I find Crosswind to be seriously good fun - so by the sounds of it, you'll have a ball!

Good luck with your training!

EDIT: I just had a look at Google Maps - what a great part of the State to be flying! I love where the Heli pad is. :)

Hey Pookemon, and thanks for the warm welcome.

I know Ballarat Aerodrome - visited it (by car) several times. I've got some family who live nearby in Beaufort. I'm looking forward to visiting them down the track, flying into YBLT. Should shave off a couple of hours travel time when the day comes.

Tooradin's surrounds certainly are very picturesque - a good thing I'm only 20 minutes drive from the airfield too. :)

I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into some good cross-wind ops... However, the weather this weekend doesn't look favourable for flying at all... Might have to wait another week... Damn!

Guest pookemon

You could even fly into Beaufort (Raglan Airport) - though it's not quite as big as Ballarat. :)

Weather wise this summer has been pretty ordinary. Wind, wind, wind and more wind. Plus the occasional bit of fog (!?!) and storms (with wind). I'm looking forward to winter!

my first lesson was in the J170. I'm not sure if all my training will remain on the J170, or whether I'll have some lessons in the J160 also.Cheers,Jack

Come on Jack! Be a devil!...When you get sick of Jabing, have a go at some real flying.... Try the Drifter! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Oh, By the way! 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif.

Cheers,

Frank.

Hey Pookemon,

I had a look at your build log site... What a fantastic setup you have there - and it looks like the Karatoo is coming along nicely. Is that a 4 1/2" reflector telescope I can see in the back of your workshop?

I hope the build progresses positively.

---

And hi Frank and Kaz,

Frank, I've got plenty of time to eventually try my hand at the drifter. It looks like a very visceral way to fly. :D

Just need some good weather so I can actually continue my training! ;)