Canberra Times Editorial

Chrism

Hi Folks,

Two editorials appeared in the Canberra Times, 10th and 14th Feb promoting the proposal for a 2nd airfield. They were written by the secretary of the CRAA.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/opinion/editorial/general/why-canberra-needs-a-second-airport-urgently/2450737.aspx

and

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/opinion/editorial/general/second-airfield-for-canberra-is-no-flight-of-fancy/2454336.aspx

Hope those links work. Please take a look, and feel free to write letters to the editor and/or politicians if you agree! Political apathy needs to be overcome!

Thanks for those links, well written articles; actually the most sensible thing I've ever read in The Canberra Times (AKA The Communist Times) I think. It's a shame there is no suitable airfield for RAA / GA in the area or even just over the border in NSW.

Thanks for those links, well written articles; actually the most sensible thing I've ever read in The Canberra Times (AKA The Communist Times) I think. It's a shame there is no suitable airfield for RAA / GA in the area or even just over the border in NSW.

Next time vote Ian Baker for Prime Minister. He'd fix things if anyone could.

He'd have shopping centre car parks made into landing strips, and Kmarts changed to "Clear-Prop" outlets.

Whhoooo Hooo!025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

• Like 1

Well how about that, I've been commuting to Canberra quite a bit and occasionally pick up a free copy of the Commie Times for a giggle and just never realised is was part of the busted-ass Fewfacts stable.... you could buy the whole show if you have a spare buck ft.

• 2 weeks later...

The website does appear to be re-organised, so if the links are not working these should now

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/opi...a-second-airport-urgently-20120209-1t97o.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/opi...rra-is-no-flight-of-fancy-20120213-1t9mg.html

Otherwise, search in the CT site for "David Edmunds" and they should come up.

Chris

• 1 month later...

The articles all speak of doom and gloom at Canberra Airport but the view is quite blinkered. They keep mentioning no flying training down that way but that's not true at all. See www.canberraaviation.com.au - been providing training down there since January 2011.

I'd love to see an RA-Aus friendly airport in Canberra though and do not envy these guys the mountain they've chosen to climb.

Links worked fine for me just now! Barry will be pleased to have their support or vice versa. Won't take a genius to work out where Nat-fly will be held if this proposal gets up, can't get much more conveniently located to Canberra than Canberra, and stuff the rest of you!

Well how about that, I've been commuting to Canberra quite a bit and occasionally pick up a free copy of the Commie Times for a giggle and just never realised is was part of the busted-ass Fewfacts stable.... you could buy the whole show if you have a spare buck ft.

A couple of decades back, it was unofficially dubbed the Red Rag Chronicle. I wonder if anyone still refers to it by that name? 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

I am also surprised to hear that it is part of the FewFacts empire, along with the SMH and The Age.

Why comment about supposedly bad ones. Is there a good one? I stopped buying newspapers years ago. It's not news... It's their views. Nev

Sadly, many journalists write about matters in society of which they know little or nothing. That is why much of the news is so very one-sided; at worst, they start to assume the appearance of opinion pieces.

Therefore, I prefer to read informed opinions on the aircraftpilots/recreationalflying forum from people who do know what they are talking about.

I'm probably one amongst many frustrated Canberran aviators. Political apathy is here to stay for a little while longer- perhaps we need a benevolent dictatator for several years to cut through middle management, safe political decisions, environmental impact statements etc. The recipe to derail any development these days calls for a pinch of vocal irate resident, or endangered cockroach.

Why not bypass the political process. Any interest out there in a private syndicate, airpark on periphery of Australia's capital, recent study demonstrating upwards 5pc return? I'll put my deposit on a hangar site if someone can organise it for me please......

• Like 2

Journos respond to a bit of empathy - take them out for a beer and explain what it is all about. Instead of your 3rd cousin's nephew why not invite a journo for a flight.

On another note, Tim Flannery and John Doyle are doing a traveloque on the ABC about going up the great dividing range and there will be some scenes involving trikes. A prospectively good show

Two on the Great Divide ABC TV 7:30pm Sunday 22 April