What`s going on!

farri

Plenty of CPL holders have migraines and still fly ... the difference being they just don't tell their DAME. The national statistic for migraine sufferers is 5%, why do you think the national average for migraines in pilots is only 2% ... because the other 3% don't tell CASA.

Thanks for sharing David. Your statistic makes perfect sense, and really validates my thoughts about having your regular GP able to certify even aviation medicals. Who else would have a real understanding of your regular ailments, current treatments etc. But that isn't really up for discussion, just another "I wish" moment.

• Like 2

For years I had a class 1 and over that time some questionable things happened with Avmed. They change the guard there every so often but the records remain. I won't go into specifics but I was unimpressed and asked for my records. at one point. There was all sorts of rubbish comments by DAME's and speciallists there on file relating to me. I don't see why it would be any different for others.

After to and fro ing for a while They informed me they had "lost" my records. If you believe that you're a fool.

In the USA they do regard a "FAIL as something significant. and (I think) that bars you from getting the lower standard medical. That makes no sense at all. It's probably political. If you obtain anything by a false declaration then it should be regarded as invalid, but you either make THE standard or you don't. I have NOT heard that we are going to adopt the US procedure, and I hope we don't. Just to correct David, I did not complete my last medical as i got to the stage of just having enough of being caught by the beaurocracy. so I didn't procede. In fairness in this case it isn't Avmeds fault. it was the medical system.

Some speciallists think they have to sign something saying you will NEVER die, whereas it is only a matter of a standard being reached. Nev

• Like 1

I would be interested to see if there are any projections on current PPLs with a current Class 2 who will excercise the option to go with a RPL.

Whilst I see some appeal with this option, it would make my NVFR rating redundant, and I would be closely checking on any other further limitations before heading to a RPL.

Could be interesting with Angel Flight. As an existing Angel Flight pilot would they accept pilots with a RPL flying missions? A pretty fair proportion of AF pilots are at the mature end of the spectrum, and what impact would a good number of AF pilots choosing to fly RPL have on their ranks?

Guest Crezzi
Could be interesting with Angel Flight. As an existing Angel Flight pilot would they accept pilots with a RPL flying missions? A pretty fair proportion of AF pilots are at the mature end of the spectrum, and what impact would a good number of AF pilots choosing to fly RPL have on their ranks?

Wouldn't only 1 pax limit the number of Angel Flights ?

Cheers

John

Interesting question naremman,

In my case, I would be interested to know what CASA's view would have been as a result of my migraines. I could not retain my Class 2 medical but was fit to hold a NSW HR Truck license.

So would CASA have allowed me to continue to fly the Citabria under an RPL? My understanding is that I could, in which case an RPL is quite attractive, I don't have any need for a NVFR or CTA and could live without both, I just want to fly VFR Xcountry and do aerobatics.

I thought they had to operate with a CPL with some exemptions. I don't think they will use the RPL. Nev

PPL with 250 hours in command in the min criteria Nev.

Guest Andys@coffs

Im havent played that game but always assumed that in general its country to the city and back....wouldnt CTA be a problem at the city end ie Bankstown or Parafield etc etc

There probably won't be, neither will they be needed, because the majority of RPL's will be taken up by 'full' PPL's who cannot/or don't wish to, meet the Class 2 medical standard. I'd think it highly unlikely that a pilot would undertake the entire PPL theory, plus the full PPL flight syllabus - and then settle for an RPL instead of a PPL. Seems a total waste, and that's what I'd advise any intending starters.Therefore, the RPL will simply become a repositry of medically unfit PPL's, who are accepting the 1 pax condition because they want to keep flying, no matter what. In time, it will die a natural death because of the many restrictions.happy days,

But of course, like RA-Aus, they won't be able to carry more than 1 pax (unless etc. etc.) but will be able to fill up the plane with all sorts of stuff including luggage and the odd slab. If they fly with a full PPL or higher Pax in the RH seat the passenger load goes up to 4POB.

RPL is something that RA-Aus and members should keep in focus as it may permit liberal changes in the way we are "licenced" and the sorts of planes we can fly.

There are both crossovers and parallels between RA-Aus, PPL and RPL and we should be prepared to enjoy the diversity this brings - where would we be if we didn't have Pizza, Laksa and meat pies.

If RA-Aus pilots are well trained and educated there should be no fears about doing PPL studies. The big problem is that very little formal articulation between an RA-A certificate and PPL/RPL exists, although some training organisations cater for RA to GA training well. All hours in RA count to GA although there will be some GA flights where competencies will need to be demonstrated and the PPL exam isn't something that isn't important to all pilots - including the airlaw. Even flying a new plane is educative and, sometimes, fun. I do have to get my chequebook out frequently and apologise for the abuse it receives when I fly GA, an important consideration

Getting PPL/RPL isn't for everyone but some car drivers figure that riding a motor bike or pushbike is a logical extention to being out there having fun or just getting from point A to B in a better way.

No-one HAS to get a PPL/RPL and I can't see that having a whiteboard about RPL down at RA-Aus will cost us much in terms of either time or money either.

050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

• Like 1

Like that Col.

Medically unfit PPL's is a "harsh" term and not appropriate really. The original criteria for aircrew medicals is straight out of military concepts and arguably too restrictive for the relaxed requirements of what an RPL is allowed to do. Since the requirement is exactly the same as the one for the RAAus certificate and operate in the same airspace, are some/all of the RAAus pilots "medically unfit" also.. Nev

A damn site thinner buddy ...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

we might be thinner but we would be stuck with boiled tripe, boiled potato, boiled cabbage, and boiled pumpkin outback.gif.91986d60389f6b0a565fa0f2980da0a8.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

I can remember sitting at the table when a youngster, cold slimey lambs brains in font of me, not allowed to leave the table until I'd eaten them and my father glaring at me for as long as it took to have the battle of wills....I never did eat them....but I sat there for most of a long night.....

Andy

And did you do the same with your own children?

"Eat your Laksa or you don't leave the table!"

Dodo

PS cold laksa is probably as unappealing as cold lambs brains

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs
And did you do the same with your own children?"Eat your Laksa or you don't leave the table!"

Dodo

PS cold laksa is probably as unappealing as cold lambs brains

Yeah I did....but it wasnt anything as exciting as that stuff it was just vegetables...any vegetables. At 14 she still wont eat any vegetables at all....I keep hoping that one day her taste selection will expand beyond the doz or so foods she will eat but so far not so good....

I decided quite some time ago that I could worry about it, or just let time cure it........ One day my wife will only have to prepare a single meal type per meal....but not yet

Andy