Slow site response

rgmwa

Does anyone else have problems with long response times on the site. My computer is less than 6 months old with a cable broadband connection, but it typically takes 20 seconds from the time I click on a forum thread from the main screen until I can start scrolling through it. Closing the thread to go back to the forum screen take almost 10 seconds. My work computer is even slower.

rgmwa

Does anyone else have problems with long response times on the site. My computer is less than 6 months old with a cable broadband connection, but it typically takes 20 seconds from the time I click on a forum thread from the main screen until I can start scrolling through it. Closing the thread to go back to the forum screen take almost 10 seconds. My work computer is even slower.rgmwa

All good here rgmwa.

Pud

All good here rgmwa.Pud

That's weird Pud. Two completely different computers, and the work one is connected to a serious network. Yet it counts down about 180 items as it opens a thread. Beats me!

rgmwa

Guest pookemon

Have a look at the anti-virus/security software you use at work vs home. Sounds like the one at work is a little slow at getting through it's scans. Try disabling it (if you can) and seeing if that makes a difference.

Have a look at the anti-virus/security software you use at work vs home. Sounds like the one at work is a little slow at getting through it's scans. Try disabling it (if you can) and seeing if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip, Pookemon. Could be the security software possibly, although it's only this site that is slow. No problems with any other forums such as VAF. And although my computer is slow, the work computer takes at least twice as long, and it too only has a problem with this site.

rgmwa

It sounds like your PC isn't caching the items thus it is downloading the same things every page instead of pulling them up from your PC.

I have Optus Cable and it is pretty much instant display for me (using Firefox). What ISP and browser are you using?

The server is in the US and Pud would be the furthest away from it (WA -> Syd -> US -> Syd -> WA) and he isn't being impacted so it sounds like it is localised to your PC, your Internet Connection, your ISP or something the missus has done to your PC to frustrate you so much that you will get off the PC 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

Same problem here, except longer times to wait! Using satellite "broadband", Windows Explorer. Has done this for months, now. Have tried to find what this Cache business is about, but no joy. The count down is from about 179 items. Likewise, other sites don't do this. ???????

Is it all pages or just the first one when you come to the site?

Usually just the first thread that is opened after going to the site, although occasionally when changing to another thread

Ian,

John's problems sound exactly the same as mine, and I'm in Perth, same as Pud. I'm using IE both at home (Windows 7) and at work (XP). ISP at home is Iinet. Work computer is connected to the office network (global company headquartered in the US). Don't know the details but I'm told we have mega-bandwidth.

rgmwa

Ok, what I will do to test some scenarios is set the site up on another domain in its vanilla state...this means just the forums with the forum software set to nearly its default. I will get you to test it then and let me know if the problem still exists...if it doesn't then it is obviously some other software that I have running on the site...could be an addon, security monitoring/logging, crons that could be running etc...will advise when I have done this however it will take most of today to do it.

Ok, what I will do to test some scenarios is set the site up on another domain in its vanilla state...this means just the forums with the forum software set to nearly its default. I will get you to test it then and let me know if the problem still exists...if it doesn't then it is obviously some other software that I have running on the site...could be an addon, security monitoring/logging, crons that could be running etc...will advise when I have done this however it will take most of today to do it.

No problem, Ian. Doesn't sound as though it's a widespread issue, and I can live with it, but it just seems odd. The old site didn't do it. I'll give it a shot from home when you've set it up.

Cheers

rgmwa

Thanks 80knts...I really think that it is localised to a couple of users, and possibly to some others that haven't said anything, perhaps even left...so I need to get to the bottom of it but it could be a needle in a haystack to individual PC setup which is no good as well as you shouldn't have to have a certain PC setup just to use the site.

When you say "old site", do you mean the site software we were using just over 1 year ago?Do you still have the same problem if you go to http://www.aviationenthusiasts.net/ register, login and use that site?

Yep, it was OK about a year ago. I'll try the aviationenthusiasts site when I get home tonight.

rgmwa

This was the same issue I had with the site when I first joined. Satellite (1 Mbit) connection from the middle of the middle of nowhere in particular was very slow with the same issue of the "downloading 168 items" and the "hang" that ensued until it had downloaded all items, that prompted me to ask about a "lite" version of the site being available about 4 weeks ago.

This was the same issue I had with the site when I first joined. Satellite (1 Mbit) connection from the middle of the middle of nowhere in particular was very slow with the same issue of the "downloading 168 items" and the "hang" that ensued until it had downloaded all items, that prompted me to ask about a "lite" version of the site being available about 4 weeks ago.

I am suffering the slow downloading problem on this site as well as returning to the previous page. I tried the aviationenthusiasts.net/ link and had no problem going forward or back.

Likewise, Ian

I've just tried the "aviationenthusiasts" site, and there's no problem with delays.

Thanks for your efforts - I had raised this issue with you some time ago, and you had put it down to the satellite internet I use. (or have to use, as there's no alternative available here) I've only stuck my head up again when I read rgmwa's post and discovered that I am not alone!

Guest Howard Hughes

About 1 second for me to switch between pages and my Boradband connection is rated as D- on 'speedtest.net'.

As good as I get from other sites.

More info just discovered - When I use the "next" button to move to the next page of a thread with more than one page of posts, I have to wait while the counter winds down through "downloading X items" where X starts at about 179. Just the same as when first logging on and reading the first post of a thread. Hope this helps with the diagnosis- hopefully just something about my computer setup that I know little about!

More info just discovered - When I use the "next" button to move to the next page of a thread with more than one page of posts, I have to wait while the counter winds down through "downloading X items" where X starts at about 179. Just the same as when first logging on and reading the first post of a thread. Hope this helps with the diagnosis- hopefully just something about my computer setup that I know little about!

Same here...

rgmwa