MAG checks

During my training mag checks (and controls full and free) were taught as part of the pre-taxi checklist along with others things like fuses, electric fuel pump check, switch setttings etc. They were also part of the shut down checklist and consequently I do them every time. If they are in the checklists there is a very good reason for them. If you don't get a rev drop when testing mags then its probably faulty and why anyone one would take off with a faulty mag escapes me. Same for controls. The consequences of your engine stopping in your car are merely inconvenient, in an aircraft they are potentially fatal. My two cents. Cheers Chris

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A dead cut check is a good idea aswel.

With the control check, I prefer to do it as your lined up. If things aren't right a wind gusts or bouncy (grass) runways or taxiways may dislodge something. Loose articles are more likely to move about and foul linkages etc while your bouncing around on the ground. Just an Idea, its saved me once in the before mentioned control binding in a Gazelle.

cheers

They will often backfire after a mag cut if you put the switches back on. Any engine can do it. You fill the muffler with combustible gas and then you ignite it by having the engine run again. It's not really a backfire it's a little explosion in the muffler ( that could split it, if it's weak, but is not likely to harm the motor other wise). A backfire is when the fuel in the inlet side explodes due to a lean mixture stuck valve etc Nev

Ah, that brings back memories of my old hoon days FH, turn the key off for a couple of seconds as I drove past the Sergeant's house, and it went off like a shotgun!

You did that too!. What a bad man you are. I had the exhaust pipe coming out on the left in front of the rear wheel. You could light up the footpath.

( now you'll think I'm awful). Nev

• Like 1

Ahhh. Can just see it now, tubz and nev cruising the streets terrorizing the locals, bell bottoms , 8 track stereos blarring, and torana's lighting up the streets as old ladies dived for cover...hehehe. made my day that has.

Ahhh. Can just see it now, tubz and nev cruising the streets terrorizing the locals, bell bottoms , 8 track stereos blarring, and torana's lighting up the streets as old ladies dived for cover...hehehe. made my day that has.

That's too modern for those guys motz - if they stalled their cars it was get out the crank handle. lol

Pud

Ah, that brings back memories of my old hoon days FH, turn the key off for a couple of seconds as I drove past the Sergeant's house, and it went off like a shotgun!

Young (then) friend of mine used to often borrow his grandpa's HK Holden and almost equally as often the muffler would fail for some mysterious reason. Grandpa got tired of these crappy standard mufflers that would never last long and finally made up his own - fabricated from 1/4" plate.... what a legend, it was indestructible then! Poor kids these days, miss out on so much.

Yes, I do runups. If the engine is warm it takes less than a minute and after taxi at least you can detect plug fouling and do something about it. Not doing it is just being lazy.

With some aircraft you can do run ups on taxi, it is up to the operator as to what they prefer. Some aircraft can't run up on taxi

Some people hate you doing dead cut checks... you learn these things after flying with a few different instructors and CFI's over time. I play it safe these days and ask before doing something. NO one ever does things the same... quite remarkable really.

By the way, those that don't fly aircraft with mixture control can disregard the whole dead cut thing! As you do it every time you turn the thing off.