Mystery Mayday Call

Guest Maj Millard

Heard nothing here Pud........................................................................Maj...

I would have thought that for this month only, every call would be a MAY DAY call.067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gifAlan.

I suppose if it was 1st April we could call it an April fools day joke...

Seriously though:smash pc:054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

The problem is, it is probably someone with access to an aircraft radio (owner/relative). Reason enough for a lockable isolation master switch to be fitted for all electrics, and a lockable canopy where possible.

I would love to see a "selcall" type arrangement that flashed up a fixed radio identity number (like your computer ethernet network card) on your radio display whenever you PTT, that could be cross referenced to an owner, like a GA "squawk". The technology exists as does the ability to store hours of digitised audio data with ID number and GPS positions in real time on every radio in every aircraft (like a black box, but actually inside the radio).

If you utilised GPS timing data you could triangulate between airborne sources of the same information (time delays to start of audio) to establish a search point, even if the radio was not a GA comms radio built into an aircraft.

• Like 1

Might of been someone training who just happened to press the transmitt button by mistake during a simulated forced landing ??Alf

I did hear rumour about a mustering gyrocopter crash, BUT mind you only a RUMOUR

I suppose if it was 1st April we could call it an April fools day joke...Seriously though:smash pc:054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

The problem is, it is probably someone with access to an aircraft radio (owner/relative). Reason enough for a lockable isolation master switch to be fitted for all electrics, and a lockable canopy where possible.

I would love to see a "selcall" type arrangement that flashed up a fixed radio identity number (like your computer ethernet network card) on your radio display whenever you PTT, that could be cross referenced to an owner, like a GA "squawk". The technology exists as does the ability to store hours of digitised audio data with ID number and GPS positions in real time on every radio in every aircraft (like a black box, but actually inside the radio).

If you utilised GPS timing data you could triangulate between airborne sources of the same information (time delays to start of audio) to establish a search point, even if the radio was not a GA comms radio built into an aircraft.

The technology is available so it's clearly possible.

However, how often is there a real need for this? Additionally, what will be the upgrade cost to every plane owner??

The technology is available so it's clearly possible.However, how often is there a real need for this? Additionally, what will be the upgrade cost to every plane owner??

The technology is cheap enough to do it easily. It wouldn't be that difficult to make retrofit kits available.

Phased in over 5 yrs, and mandatory with next panel overhaul and in all new registrations?

You've only got to need it once....what price a life?

It could be yours.............

The technology is cheap enough to do it easily. It wouldn't be that difficult to make retrofit kits available.Phased in over 5 yrs, and mandatory with next panel overhaul and in all new registrations?

You've only got to need it once....what price a life?

It could be yours.............

Like everything else in life, there's a cost for safety. I was wondering damkia, how much would a retrofit be? Also, is there some sort of world standard for this so that one country would not be out on a limb??

I'd go with the student mistakenly pushing the PTT while practicing - I've stopped short myself a few times when learning radio calls.

As for an identifier... why? To stop people stuffing around or making mistakes? Next thing they'll start getting lax on their calls, assuming people will know its them due to the encoded radio information.

I vote no for a radio encoder, and yes to fitting an transponder or ELB to your craft.

- boingk

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose if it was 1st April we could call it an April fools day joke...Seriously though:smash pc:054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Yes the technology exists.

IMPLIMENTING it is another story.

Who would pay for it?

To apply the above idea would cost a lot of money and time.

(It will probably be done and sent off-shore to India)