May Magazine Edition

youngster

I got my Sport Pilot mag today, which was a little light on anything interesting and very heavy on random pictures from Natfly.

The headline stood out the moment I picked up the magazine: "A perfect Natfly weekend". Didn't a couple perish just a few minutes after taking off from Natfly? I can find no mention of the incident in the mag. I completely understand that we dont want to dwell on the negatives (not that a fatal accident is a mere "negative"), but surely we can't just pretend that it never happened?

On a less weighty note, the headline was backed by a picture of a paddock, some wispy smoke from a plane doing aerobatics (which can't be done by RAAus aircraft), and some fluoro orange safety barrier stuck up on a star picket. Not exactly inspiring stuff.

I haven't received my copy of the magazine yet. I would like to know who won what award this year. Did they post all winners this year? I wasn't at the Awards Dinner and haven't been able to contact the guy in charge of the awards. I have heard that 2 awards were given to VH- registered aircraft. My aircraft was also judged only by 1 judge (not 3 as most were) and it was there all day Fri and Sat. - . They wanted to encourage the 95.10 catergory this year and there was little there for the Rag n Tube people. 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Funny, I got my mag yesterday, and although I haven't read it cover to cover yet, it struck me as having a good range of articles. In fact, I thought it was one of the best yet. Everyone's different, I guess. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

There is mention in Jill's Pilot Talk section about the trike accident.

Regarding the awards, the way that I read the categories, the VH aircraft that got one of the awards was in the VH award category... "Most outstanding... [for] VH registered aircraft". No problems there. The Bolly Props awards on the other hand. I had our aircraft in for judging, and in hindsight, it was a waste of time, as it really didn't fit into any category offered: 2-seats, non-tecnam, metal wings, non-jabiru, no flight into temora, not an innovative design, rotax engine, not a trike, and it wouldn't win concourse anymore. Won't bother entering that again.

• Informative 1

MOV5D8_0001.jpg.ca92e5a57c062e89c138dcbff104453e.jpg yeh I found a bit light on interesting articles,and I didn't take long to throw in the draw.. I think they should stick to raa planes on the cover,could have got a nice shot of a line up of raa reg craft at natfly. like a pic of my fellow 95:10 fellers.,.

Maybe it just me but I find the magazine more focused towards newstands sales than the interest to RAAus members

Full of adds and glossy pictures with not many interesting articles concerning our light aviation interests. Personally I dont think a magazine produced for the public newstands can have articles in it relating RAAus business for members only and we seem to missout on being informed whats going on or being negotiated in our interests.

I think if possible I would forego the magazine as it is for a $70 reduction in my licence fees

• Like 3

Ladies and Gents......I gave up on RAA ever having anything technical in their magazine a long time ago and joined the EAA and subscribed to Kitplanes magazine for less than $100 a year. I receive both magazines at the same time as every other member around the world and they are packed full of goodies. To try to replicate what the EAA has is like trying to reinvent the wheel. If your looking for technical articles, stop wasting your time and join the EAA. You wont regret it!

In my opinion, RAA is trying to please too many sections and should be concentrating on what it was formed for in the first place, fun and economical flying.

Scotty

• Like 5

I think that it also boils down to "Who" (members) are prepared to contribute to the mag and write some articles.Just my two cents worth.

Alan.

yeh agree we may be getting slack,I may have to write somthing

• Agree 1

Good articles from anywhere are always good. The magazine has a cost and if the newsagent sales are high instead of it being a cost to members it subsidises the show. It also has the potential to bring in new members.

RAAus does seem to be about trips etc and not very technical or builder orientated. If members want more of this then make your views heard. I am not sure the membership want it.

EAA or SAAA are much more orientated that way. I am only a social member of SAAA now, as the fees went up a lot (for older folks) a year or two ago, but they have chapters who run a lot of things autonomously and I am in chapter 20 which is pretty active.

The "Tony Bingelis" books on just about everything on building, would still be useful and available from EAA. Nev

• Like 1

I havent a problem with the mag on sale at newsagents allthough the articles could be improved.

But I do think an insert (included only in the members post outs) with a report of what happening within our organisation maybe our elected board members could report on what they pushing for and how they are representing their members in their area. Seem to hear from them when they want to be elected then once elected nothing!!!!!

Just food for thought

• Like 2

Just finished going through my Latest edition and yes, I was a little disappointed in the photo content.

As mentioned, the cover was just a patch of blue with a GA plane doing things we are not allowed to do (how does the newstand public perceive that?)

Then there is the 'centrefold(?)', a 60 year old GA plane with a lot of empty blue behind it?

I guess the Antique Aircraft Association is going to give us equal space and put a Jabiru in their next centrefold !008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Personally, I'm not a 'people' person, and tend to like looking at pictures of aeroplanes, but I guess it's good to show that there are people involved with flying, as such, I liked the shot of Ben McGuinness and his Waiex heading Arthur Marcel's article.

This showed him and his aeroplane, not just the tip of his prop.

I wont complain about the advertising as it pays for the magazine, and tends to show a wider variety of aircraft than the articles.

I was a bit confused however by the small image of the silly convertible flying machine amongst the letters to the editor, try as I might, could find no letters, articles or comments regarding it?062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Just a page filler I guess?

All this aside, I suppose we (I) really can't complain if we (I) haven't put in any articles ourselves....unhappy_composer.gif.d3e9355e1a45a47f19d6ae0bef8b2e30.gif

• 1 year later...
Just finished going through my Latest edition and yes, I was a little disappointed in the photo content.As mentioned, the cover was just a patch of blue with a GA plane doing things we are not allowed to do (how does the newstand public perceive that?)

Then there is the 'centrefold(?)', a 60 year old GA plane with a lot of empty blue behind it?

I guess the Antique Aircraft Association is going to give us equal space and put a Jabiru in their next centrefold !008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Personally, I'm not a 'people' person, and tend to like looking at pictures of aeroplanes, but I guess it's good to show that there are people involved with flying, as such, I liked the shot of Ben McGuinness and his Waiex heading Arthur Marcel's article.

This showed him and his aeroplane, not just the tip of his prop.

I wont complain about the advertising as it pays for the magazine, and tends to show a wider variety of aircraft than the articles.

I was a bit confused however by the small image of the silly convertible flying machine amongst the letters to the editor, try as I might, could find no letters, articles or comments regarding it?062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Just a page filler I guess?

All this aside, I suppose we (I) really can't complain if we (I) haven't put in any articles ourselves....unhappy_composer.gif.d3e9355e1a45a47f19d6ae0bef8b2e30.gif

Great album of photos - you are certainly very capable and ingenious builder!