Tail Draggers and landing

I have 2 very different Tail draggers,the first my Thruster t83 single seat can NOT land 3 point..Because of the angle of attack being so high the plane in landing configuration stalls before the tail drops to 3 point so the mains ALWAYS touch first, So its always a wheeler landing plus it stops the well known thruster ground loop... Now my other plane Supercat is the oppersite,if you wheeler it in you are garenteed a hefty bounce,.but if you 3 point her in she fine,,So definatly it depends on plane.. And if flying or indourced in tail wheel you SHOULD be comperdent in both techniques. the goes for instructors too!!!! as i've seen at least 2 instuctors not 100% on the wheeler?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomo, I've ordered a new wing-suit and many cardboard boxes for you....when will you be ready ???............................................................big_gun.gif.bf32cf238ff2a3722884beddb76a2705.gif 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

Flying one of these would generate a very interesting 'endorsement'....it's not a taildragger and doesn't have a nose wheel and a very centraly mounted object would probably touch first 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif . Any ideas ???

Alan.

Guest Maj Millard

Tail-dragger for sure !!..........................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Brainless!

I would imagine similar comments were made about Orville & Wilbur, I'm glad they didn't stop experimenting because of it. In fact I know a few people that see all recreational flying as "brainless".

I would imagine similar comments were made about Orville & Wilbur, I'm glad they didn't stop experimenting because of it. In fact I know a few people that see all recreational flying as "brainless".

Yeah, I reckon Orville & Wilbur may have seen some potential in what they where doing:plane:. Where do you think this bloke could go next?stretcher.gif.b5405e56385022b0c281bce09d6ac829.gif Perhaps he could strap a skate board to his belly, that should save on cardboard anyway...........

Regards Bill

Yeah, I reckon Orville & Wilbur may have seen some potential in what they where doing:plane:. Where do you think this bloke could go next?stretcher.gif.b5405e56385022b0c281bce09d6ac829.gif Perhaps he could strap a skate board to his belly, that should save on cardboard anyway...........Regards Bill

I reckon with vectored thrust & nvg's we have a way forward.

Has anyone noticed the wheels on his back?

Yes, and they appear to be castors, must be so he can service his car or something, or maybe just so you cart him away easily while he's unconscious.

Guest Maj Millard

Lets face it this is the first guy who has done this and survived............whatever you think of it, there no doubting that it took huge kahoolies to go past the point where it was too late to use the chute...the point of no return if you like. Took big balls to fly that into the cardboard.. I'm an old skydiver who was known back then for doing the odd stunt, but this guy has impressed me no-end........................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Guest ozzie

OK back on track

Original Thrusters single seat. They had a longer tail boom before Belton hacked them down so they could fit in a cargo pod for export to NZ. These could be 3 pointed easily. The later types with the short booms including the two seaters where a lot harder if not impossible to three point with a conventional approach and flare but i did find that if you got them on the back side of the curve you could hold them off with a high angle of attack and power stall them on but it is hard to do without putting the tail on first. usually resulted in a thump and bit of a bounce.

I used to have a little display trick where i would place one main on the ground and hold the other off and roll along for a bit then change wheels for a bit, then lift off raise the nose and power up untill the tail wheel made contact, run along for a bit then try and this was the really hard part, lift the tail off without letting the main wheels touch again. It took a lot of practise to get the right power and AoA combination. You need to be really familiar with the aircraft.

ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

Re: thread #98....Sorry I mistakenly thought we were still on the batman into the boxes thread...................Maj...067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif