Vernier throttle

Yenn

I have fitted a vernier throttle to my under construction RV4, but now my Technical Councillor is suggesting that it will no be safe as you have to push in the knob on the throttle to move it either way. Not a problem adding power as it is all in the same direction, but could be to reduce power.

I can remember flying 182 Cessnas with this type of throttle, but my TC cannot.

Does anyone here have any experience with these throttles?

I've definitely seen it on pitch controls, can't recall seeing it on a Cessna throttle. I'll check out the local Cessna population when I get the chance.

Check the Wicks and Aircraft Spruce catalogues, they may vernier throttles and seeing them listed might jog your TC's memory, or at least convince him they are an acceptable piece of kit, especially for a home-built.

• Caution 1

My Evektor Sportstar s fitted with a vernier throttle and is very good I have no complaints. the aircraft is also used for training, whilst teaching students landing approaches it is essential that the instructor uses throttle as the student gets use to an approach as should a quick input of power is required it is difficult to move their hand to push button and apply power after initial approach training it is possible to give them the throttle too, in saying all that I like the vernier throttle for teaching too as it teaches the student to make fine adjustments on approach and result in good landings. I believe most Sportstars are fitted with a Vernier throttle.

Wish I had one on the Jab.

Only used once on a Carlson Sparrow home built and was very impressed by the rotating feature for revs

As I remember a palm push gave full throttle and a thumb and palm gave idle

Phil

I have fitted a vernier throttle to my under construction RV4, but now my Technical Councillor is suggesting that it will no be safe as you have to push in the knob on the throttle to move it either way. Not a problem adding power as it is all in the same direction, but could be to reduce power.I can remember flying 182 Cessnas with this type of throttle, but my TC cannot.

All the Beechcraft Bonanzas and Debonairs I have flown had vernier throttles.

....Mick

I don't know if all SportStars have the same vernier throttle problems as the two I have flown, but I am not impressed with what I've seen on those two.

During descent, closing the throttle by pressing the lock button and moving the throttle fully rearward does not close the throttle completely. The RPM can be reduced another 300 - 400 RPM by winding the vernier to the left. Trouble is though, if you wind it too far, it'll sudenly "click over the cam" and increase the RPM by about 600 RPM. Which can be a tad more than annoying during the flair, as an example...

037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Howard Hughes builds the best damn throttle in the world IMO... Not sure if they can be fitted to other aircraft but I reckon the old T-bar setup as I have seen in a Lightwing is perfect and the best in function compared to the Jab, Texan and Sav alternatives I have flown with... all of them variations on the twist for tension push pull type. The Lightwing throttle just seems to stay where you set it and requires no fiddling to adjust tension.

My (ex) Beech Debonair had full vernier controls for throttle, mixture and prop. Never had a problem with them and the vernier makes it easy to make incremental adjustments. It seems to me that the fault Wayne T.Mathews refers to may be an isolated case as it never happened to me in the ten years I owned DYT. Go for it ... if I didn't need to fit dual throttles to the Morgan Sierra, I'd be looking at vernier for that project. John.

The thing to remember with the vernier throttle and the rotax Engine is that with 2 carby's there is a strong spring force wanting to make it slide quickley open if you press the button and the friction is not firmley on, it can result in an uncontrolled T/O at full power

I was going to ask what the powerplant was. The "Bing" carb is strongly loaded to open and with 2 of them I think I would stick to a simple push pull with a friction lock. A quadrant at the side is the best as far as I'm concerned ( with a friction lock). I don't know any multi engined set ups with vernier adjustments to pitch or throttle ( physically impossible to engineer it) so if they get away without it, why go there.

The dual throttle set-up really complicates things so a central single throttle is the simpler solution there, if it's an option. Nev

Facthunter wrote:

I don't know any multi engined set ups with vernier adjustments to pitch or throttle ( physically impossible to engineer it)

If I recall rightly, the first Cessna "push/pull" aircraft, the 336, had a whole set of individual vernier controls which would have been quite unwieldly to operate. The later version, the 337 Skymaster had the more conventional quadrant controls. John.

Not your average "Twin". Perhaps one should have been behind the seat for recognition. The idea os alright in theory but when you are at the most critical phases of flight where power changes need to be easy and quick, they are no help. ( more a hindrance) Nev

The Warrior I flew a couple of weeks ago had a throttle that didn't have the twist function, but still had the button which you needed to press to move it in or out. It would be easier once you're used to it, but I wasn't really a fan of having to make sure you push in the button before you make any sort of power change at all.

Thanks for that info fellers. I think I will stick with the vernier and quote any doubters about Beech using them. I have once flown a Jodel with one and it was not a problem, but of course you must be aware of the differences. Vans recommend a quadrant setup, but I did not want to go down that path, it relies on friction locks.

G'day Yenn I've just installed a Vernier Throtle in my Sav and I love it. I went away from the standard Savanah Throtle to a Mcfersion style friction and didn't like it as the carb springs are to strong. It keep creeping to more Throtle. I spoke to McPherson while at Oshkosh last year they do have softer springs available. I like the idea of small adjustments. The vernier Throtle doesn't take much time to get used to. As I'm going to reduce power for landing I use my thumb. As most people are aware my Sav only has one Throtle as it only needs one Pilot. And I used a splitter which I brought from Spruce which it works great to both Carbs. Gundy.

I don't know if all SportStars have the same vernier throttle problems as the two I have flown, but I am not impressed with what I've seen on those two.During descent, closing the throttle by pressing the lock button and moving the throttle fully rearward does not close the throttle completely. The RPM can be reduced another 300 - 400 RPM by winding the vernier to the left. Trouble is though, if you wind it too far, it'll sudenly "click over the cam" and increase the RPM by about 600 RPM. Which can be a tad more than annoying during the flair, as an example...

037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

I have never struck this problem but many GA pilot nearly forget to push the button and I stop them pushing and that is probably what ruin the throttles in the ones you have flown. Also when returning to idle pull out then winde back to idle then on a fraction as if it is wound back hard it is difficult to push the button and apply power.

• Informative 1

I have used a vernie throttle a few times and had no issue with them. Found the trick is use the screw function for most power changes unless you're looking for a large RPM/Manifold change (such as T/O, Climb to cruise etc...). When a large change was needed I would do the majority by pushing the button and then the final tune up adjusted back on the screw. Same with landing, did most of the adjusting right from final on down with the screw function.

No probs at all, and not really dangerous.

• Helpful 1

Guest turk182
Thanks for that info fellers. I think I will stick with the vernier and quote any doubters about Beech using them. I have once flown a Jodel with one and it was not a problem, but of course you must be aware of the differences. Vans recommend a quadrant setup, but I did not want to go down that path, it relies on friction locks.

I fly an aircraft with one and absolutely hate it, I find if I want add a bit to soften a wheel landing it's just annoying and as someone else posted if you pull it all the way out you still have a few hundred revs to deal with, in fact I love the aircraft in every way except the damn throttle !

I have fitted a vernier throttle to my under construction RV4, but now my Technical Councillor is suggesting that it will no be safe as you have to push in the knob on the throttle to move it either way. Not a problem adding power as it is all in the same direction, but could be to reduce power.I can remember flying 182 Cessnas with this type of throttle, but my TC cannot.

Yenn, if you intend to use the RV4 for formation - and how can you resist - then avoid vernier lock throttles. Under the rules of the US Formation Flight Inc, the FAA accepted body managing all RV formation flying, it is unacceptable to have a vernier lock throttle when conducting formation flight. I'd second this. It's a safety thing. happy days,

I STRONGLY ( I don't usually shout) support the last two posts. There is a safety aspect to this. See my post #12. Not appropriate where the throttle is a primary control. Needs quick Guaranteed response. Whether it's fitted to Beechcraft and some Cessna's is not the issue. WHICH aerobatic planes have it?. It can jamb and it could be distracting. nev

• 1 month later...
G'day Yenn I've just installed a Vernier Throtle in my Sav and I love it. I went away from the standard Savanah Throtle to a Mcfersion style friction and didn't like it as the carb springs are to strong. It keep creeping to more Throtle. I spoke to McPherson while at Oshkosh last year they do have softer springs available. I like the idea of small adjustments. The vernier Throtle doesn't take much time to get used to. As I'm going to reduce power for landing I use my thumb. As most people are aware my Sav only has one Throtle as it only needs one Pilot. And I used a splitter which I brought from Spruce which it works great to both Carbs. Gundy.

Hi Gundy,

Are you able to supply any info and suppliers on the Vernier Throttle and splitter you fitted.

Cheers

Hadyn

Hadyn I've pulled it out because I want to get a Formation endorsement and I believed in another post they weren't good for formation which I agree with. I'll probably sell it now. Gundy

• 3 years later...
During descent, closing the throttle by pressing the lock button and moving the throttle fully rearward does not close the throttle completely. The RPM can be reduced another 300 - 400 RPM by winding the vernier to the left. Trouble is though, if you wind it too far, it'll sudenly "click over the cam" and increase the RPM by about 600 RPM. Which can be a tad more than annoying during the flair, as an example...

My Sportstar vernier throttle is suffering from the same problem that Wayne describes above. Does anyone out there know if there is a fix for this? Any help would be appreciated.

My Sportstar vernier throttle is suffering from the same problem that Wayne describes above. Does anyone out there know if there is a fix for this? Any help would be appreciated.