Preflight Checks, What do you find?

I was doing a pre-flight check on the 160 this morning and when I checked the oil, I noticed something partially melted over number one cylinder. Upon removal, it turned out to be a length of clear plastic, not unlike a ribbon of glad wrap. I checked the air intake as well. This is just some of the junk that blows in from the adjacent land fill.Bob

Did a google search on "plastic bag crashes aircraft" There has been a major crash of an a/c as a result of plastic bags. In fact a small piece of tape brought down an airliner. It covered the static vent and all the instruments went wild at night IFR. The guy who washed the plane forgot to take it off and the preflight check did not reveal it.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was the snake in the engine bay? and what was over temp? I dunno if civvy ones are different but ours only have gauges for engine oil temp, transmission oil temp and TOT . I've just been trying to figure out how a snake in the engine bay could cause any of these to overtemp.

F%$# if I know mate, you would have to ask the pilot that.That is what he told us.He landed, opened the cowls, pull out said dead snake.Started up and took off.

Maybe the snake and the overheating were two separate events.

Could have been I guess,It has been a long time since I last worked on Jet engines.And I only worked on the P &W TF30.And that was only a line level.I was a aircraft technician.But realy a Airframe fitter. Maybe it was near a fire wire when it was cooked.(I dont even know if a Bell jet Ranger have them or not).If they do, then maybe he got a Master caution engine bay fire. He wasnt very specific.Either way, he flew away for another day.

Could have been I guess,It has been a long time since I last worked on Jet engines.And I only worked on the P &W TF30.And that was only a line level.I was a aircraft technician.But realy a Airframe fitter. Maybe it was near a fire wire when it was cooked.(I dont even know if a Bell jet Ranger have them or not).If they do, then maybe he got a Master caution engine bay fire. He wasnt very specific.Either way, he flew away for another day.

B206's have a "firewire" along the top of the cowl only, and will give a "FIRE" indication.

How long ago did you work onn TF30's? I was a gunnie on pigs in the late 80's at 1SQN.

I'm very disappointed in this thread.For a start we haven't had the possum and snake stories........

Ok Turbo, How about the bloke up in Dawin who just lifted off whe a snake came out of the instrument panel! I think it was earlier this year. He returned to Darwin safely, but the snake was never seen again. You wouldn't want to fly that plane again! BobPS. We should all reach in behind the instrument panel and check for snakes as part of ou pre-flight!?

We should also check in our planes for possums. If you find one -and can post the story on this thread- you'll make turboplanner's day. 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

I nearly poisoned myself once after a day welding galvanised pipe. Couldn't get any air into my lungs in the middle of the night so these days I usually lightly grind the dirt, rust and gal in one operation, then sand, or out with the oxy and put in a new beam.

Occupational asthma is well described with welding - you can get sensitised to fumes from flux, aluminium, nickel, chromium etc - reaction can either be immediate or several hours later.

B206's have a "firewire" along the top of the cowl only, and will give a "FIRE" indication.How long ago did you work onn TF30's? I was a gunnie on pigs in the late 80's at 1SQN.

Feb 1990 till april 1998. 482Sqn, 501 Wing. 501 Avionics pavetack

Were there any 'stand-out' ones worth sharing?

They have all been recorded to RAA.I dont want to say too much specific .Being a public forum.We live in a small world.No individual has done anything wrong or anything.

Feb 1990 till april 1998. 482Sqn, 501 Wing. 501 Avionics pavetack

Ok, I was posted out Jan 1990. You would probably know quite a few of the guys that were across the road though, I imagine.

Ok, I was posted out Jan 1990. You would probably know quite a few of the guys that were across the road though, I imagine.

We would buddy, I reckon. I have forgotten a few names since then but. Andy here from Coffs was also there around the same time.

Occupational asthma is well described with welding - you can get sensitised to fumes from flux, aluminium, nickel, chromium etc - reaction can either be immediate or several hours later.

I read somewhere the oxide from welding galvanized iron is good for you and even used for medical purposes-only that it is "irritating". Maybe I read too much

They have all been recorded to RAA.I dont want to say too much specific .Being a public forum.We live in a small world.No individual has done anything wrong or anything.

You won't hear the end of it now. How is the flying in Siberia?

Thanks metalman 2. Boat trailers are rusty, dirty and galvanized. Quite often you can't clean much. Are there welding rods that work better than the general purpose "on special" ones I am using?

Try and get yourself some good quality rods, Im a boilermaker and do a fair bit of welding with a stick and you will notice the difference between cheap rods and more expensive quality rods a good GP rod should be perfect for doing V downs you really do need the steel to be clean tho or it will spit and spatter and just make it harder for you especially if your beginning, If welding gal definetly grind it back to bare metal will weld 10 times better and you wont get burnt or have to breath in the nasty gal fumes. Good luck its a skill that you have to perfect with practice but quality rods and clean steel will help a lot

OK, I respect that. I hope you're having a great weekend.

Try and get yourself some good quality rods, Im a boilermaker and do a fair bit of welding with a stick and you will notice the difference between cheap rods and more expensive quality rods a good GP rod should be perfect for doing V downs you really do need the steel to be clean tho or it will spit and spatter and just make it harder for you especially if your beginning, If welding gal definetly grind it back to bare metal will weld 10 times better and you wont get burnt or have to breath in the nasty gal fumes. Good luck its a skill that you have to perfect with practice but quality rods and clean steel will help a lot

Thanks Bacon, I'll get new rods. I am not a beginner but I am beginning. Used to fly in Kingaroy near you. Brought a Pawnee for 100 hourly to Dalby once. Good runways around there-probably funded by Bejelke Peterson way back. He used to take unofficial control of the govert jet that flew him around. Had a prang once. Then there was the cerfew he imposed in Qld-no public gatherings more than so many people. All he had to do is grow a moustach and yell Hio Hitler-which he probably practiced a lot.

I have another one which is just a simple flat tyre-but a big nusance especially if you are miles from help. I have thought of taking along some canned goop that goes into your tyre and seals up small leaks. But you would have to take the weight of the a/c off the tyre before it will go in. It will fill up the tyre with enough pressure to "get you home".Don't store it in your cockpit in case it thinks you have a flat tyre when you're cruising at 5000'.

Hope this keeps the ideas coming in, besides I'd like to see 2000 hits on this thread.typing.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif

Hi Sapphire,

That green gunge is excellent - I have added some to all 3 tyres after getting a slow puncture in one, and they have been fine since that. It was recommended by a guy who was, until recently, a Qantas maintenance engineer, and his mates who fly out of a rough strip all use it and report far fewer flats....

Cheers

Neil

The other day i was going to go for a flight in my Drifter and found some broken strands of wire on my top wing wires, Had to can the flight get some new ones made up and fitted them up the other day all good now

I have another one which is just a simple flat tyre-but a big nusance especially if you are miles from help. I have thought of taking along some canned goop that goes into your tyre and seals up small leaks. But you would have to take the weight of the a/c off the tyre before it will go in. It will fill up the tyre with enough pressure to "get you home".Don't store it in your cockpit in case it thinks you have a flat tyre when you're cruising at 5000'.

Hope this keeps the ideas coming in, besides I'd like to see 2000 hits on this thread.typing.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif

I like the idea but where would you store it instead? Or, would prevention be better than the core and just fill up all three tyres with this stuff?

BTW: which brand did you find successful?