RAA Pilot Certificate + First Aircraft!

Best week ever for me... I got my Pilot Certificate in the mail and also managed to buy my first aircraft, a Gardan Minicab:

I've made a deposit and will be taking delivery Monday after finalising finance. She flew very nicely and I'm sure she'll provide many enjoyable flying hours.

At some point I'm planning to do a decent trip up North somewhere, but for now I'm just going to be cruising around and getting used to her. Once I finalise everything of course!

Cheers all - Enoch

PS: Thanks again to everyone who helped me out in my 'hour builder / tourer wanted' thread.

• Like 9

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, should have mentioned that, gosh! Shes a Gardan GY-201 Minicab.

The design originated in post-war France after a national initiative for a light aircraft 'for the people', and was type certified in 1949. Initial production was 22 factorybuilt aircraft, with the design later being offered as plans for homebuilders. Initial model number was GY-20 but the 201 had several improvements such as split flaps and better gear leg design. They won numerous design and performance awards throughout the 1950's and by all accounts are a good personal craft. Engine is usually the venerable Continental A-65, often upgraded to an A-80 for improved performance.

Seating space is comparable to a C150, with leg and headroom enough to not be cramped for a 6ft+ pilot such as myself. There is a parcel shelf immediately behind the seats with a few square feet of space for luggace etc. Cruise (solo w/full fuel) is 75~80kt @ 15lph on the A-65 and fuel is on the firewall, totalling 65 litres.

Cheers - Enoch

• Like 1

Congrats on a good purchase, they are a beaut little aeroplane.

I hope your not going to fly it with that bent prop.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

PS Happy birthday for next week....not a bad birthday present eh.

• Like 1

Best week ever for me... I got my Pilot Certificate in the mail and also managed to buy my first aircraft, a Gardan Minicab:

I've made a deposit and will be taking delivery Monday after finalising finance. She flew very nicely and I'm sure she'll provide many enjoyable flying hours.

At some point I'm planning to do a decent trip up North somewhere, but for now I'm just going to be cruising around and getting used to her. Once I finalise everything of course!

Cheers all - Enoch

PS: Thanks again to everyone who helped me out in my 'hour builder / tourer wanted' thread.

Enoch:

012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif Congratulations on your Pilot Certificate 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif. It's also nice to hear you've got your own set of wings! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif Enjoy!!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! It does, indeed, feel good.

I took delivery today (despite some bank bungling) and thankfully have her safe and warm in a hangar out at the field for the week while I organise more permenant lodging for her.

Hopefully I'll have everything sorted in a few days and I'll be able to start flying her!

Cheers - Enoch

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! It does, indeed, feel good.I took delivery today (despite some bank bungling) and thankfully have her safe and warm in a hangar out at the field for the week while I organise more permenant lodging for her.

Hopefully I'll have everything sorted in a few days and I'll be able to start flying her!

Cheers - Enoch

You must have a good financial adviser!

No mate, just work hard haha... the bank f***ed up my loan application so now I need to get backdown there tomorrow morning and fix it. Pretty irritating.

Cheers - Enoch

No mate, just work hard haha... the bank f***ed up my loan application so now I need to get backdown there tomorrow morning and fix it. Pretty irritating.Cheers - Enoch

Does *** = oul ?

Banks have a habit of doing that. My son-in-law applied for a business loan with extensive documentation at the beginning of last week. When he enquired about the progress on Thursday he was asked to come in to the branch. They told him that all the documentation went missing, including the initial application form, and that he was required to submit a whole new application. They f**led up big time! He was far from impressed 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif as you can imagine.

Good work Enoch. Great feeling getting your paper to fly and your own set of wings.. Looks pretty nice and I love the in flight variable flexi prop! will help to get clear of the long grass on takeoff 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I had problems with the Bank also.. Took a month to get the loan funds due to one mess up after the other... Gone are the days you get good service I'm afraid. Service is more like winning somthing. I get all happy when on the odd dealing whe I get it... How mad is that?

Just about to get my plane up and running after its sign off in the next week or two... It's better than a promise from your wife on your Birthday 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Mardy

Certainly seems a few of us have had banking troubles... why cant they just do their job well?

As for promises and bithdays... the girlfriends mad for it haha... that and flying! Does it get much better? :grin:

- Enoch

On a more serious note... I found that the propellor fitted (although free of any visual defect) was originally fitted whilst 'on condition'... in 1969! 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

Whilst I'm not overly worried about the powerhouse A-65 rendering the cuurrent prop to splinters, I've still gotten onto an Aussie mob who do CNC-machined, wooden laminate propellors. They're called 'Ark-Tech' and responded quickly to an enquiry I sent them, also providing a reasonable quote.

Has anyone had any experience with these guys?

Cheers - Enoch

Certainly seems a few of us have had banking troubles... why cant they just do their job well?As for promises and bithdays... the girlfriends mad for it haha... that and flying! Does it get much better? :grin:

- Enoch

Now there's an interesting post, in the last line did you mean the girlfriend is mad for it (girlfriend's) mad for it, or did you mean girlfriends meaning lots of them. YAHOO!

Alan.

Guest nunans

Keep your pants on Alan, I'm sure you must be jumping to conclusions, when Enoch says "that and flying" he must mean shopping and flying! probably for two new pairs of shoes that'll never get out of the box or a new handbag or three new tops and a skirt....

That sounds much more realistic of the women I know, Then again I am married.

No, just the one girlfriend Alan haha... shes great! She does enjoy shopping, but not generally just for the sake of it. We met about 6 months ago and get along very well. My womanising days are pretty much over; I had enough at university, what with the ratio being about seven to one and all!

Anywho, today I got my cross-country endorsement for RA and am slating my tailwheel endorsement on the Minicab for tomorrow. After that I should be able to take her on a few local flights... and later on a proper trip somewhere. Can't wait!

Cheers - Enoch

• Like 1

On a more serious note... I found that the propellor fitted (although free of any visual defect) was originally fitted whilst 'on condition'... in 1969! 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gifWhilst I'm not overly worried about the powerhouse A-65 rendering the cuurrent prop to splinters, I've still gotten onto an Aussie mob who do CNC-machined, wooden laminate propellors. They're called 'Ark-Tech' and responded quickly to an enquiry I sent them, also providing a reasonable quote.

Has anyone had any experience with these guys?

Cheers - Enoch

Occasional poster Harwis owns Ark-Tech and I've seen a couple of his props. VERY NICE. Made from very light, German Teak if memory serves me correctly.The finish is superb. One went on an airboat and the other on a plane. He has a huge range available and all you have to do, is give him a call, then wait for it to be made to your specifications. Good prices as well I think.