Howling Crosswind

moy71

The strongest crosswind I've landed in is 25-30 kts, but it was in a plane with a high wing loading. Would't do it in a grasshopper. Looks like he impressed his girl-she knew all about crosswinds

Dunno about everybody else but I think the vid is a bit of a wank.He could have rolled down the runway and taken off with a combination of the into the wind wing low too counter act some of the Xwind component and crab.I used to fly x winds like that many years ago until I was taught different.It is a crock, the old crabbing.Especially in a high winger. Seriously, get out of that habit.Too many aircraft have had damaged U/c by Peeps getting the old kicking it straight on round out wrong.No need for it.Especially from a high wing a/c.

The large amount of crab necessary to track on the runway centreline shows the amount of X-wind. The rest of the vid doesn't illustrate much.

You ARE meant to maintain runway centre on climb out.

Wing down and or crab are an option on approach,, but on the departure a wing low will affect climb performance if held that way for more than a brief period after lift-off. This is the beginning of the turn/crab into wind manoeuver. You would already be holding into wind aileron so a small adjustment to that.flows into the after lift-off turn

One aspect of crosswind take-off technique that I have NEVER seen mentioned on this forum is the need to make a more positive rotation/break from the ground on lift off, to ensure the plane doesn't sink back onto the surface because there will be a lot of sideload on the U/C that would tend to lift the upward wing, which you don't want at all. Nev

• Like 2

the story behind this episode is that the Alaskan communities are so remote that it is inaccessible by road. the girl was actually going on a prom and was picking up her date. she hired the plane as a limousine to pickup her date in the nearby village. the pilot shown is not a regular on the show, but to be able to fly these alaskan conditions really amazes me.

..... One aspect of crosswind take-off technique that I have NEVER seen mentioned on this forum is the need to make a more positive rotation/break from the ground on lift off, to ensure the plane doesn't sink back onto the surface because there will be a lot of sideload on the U/C that would tend to lift the upward wing, which you don't want at all. Nev

I was taught to positively hold the aircraft on the ground until a little faster than normal rotation speed and then lift straight off so there was no risk of sinking while drifting sideways. It means getting the aircraft up onto the windward main and holding it there wing low until rotation.

kaz

Then you were taught correctly Kaz. I have never heard the technique mentioned on this forum. It works on all types of aircraft in principle. ( as You know)

The very lightweight planes should stay in the hangar on those days. They wouldn't be safe if not tied down when stationary. Nev

I was taught to positively hold the aircraft on the ground until a little faster than normal rotation speed and then lift straight off so there was no risk of sinking while drifting sideways. It means getting the aircraft up onto the windward main and holding it there wing low until rotation.

Yes I was taught that also, very relevant for towing gliders, on a stiff crosswind - which is usually the case when at the gliding field!! you're running along on one wheel till you get the correct speed up for a positive gentle break away. The thing to think about there also is, if the glider pilot doesn't correct for the crosswind enough or does something it can jerk you back and if you haven't positive climb out speed on it can drop you back on the ground! A lot happens on those take offs!