Aircraft Section...Your Thoughts?

Admin

The current Aircraft Section seems to be to complicated for users to add aircraft into the list so I am looking at redoing it.

What are your thoughts on what you would like to get from it, what would you like to use it for, for what reasons would you go to an Aircraft Section etc etc etc.

This will give me some guidance on how best to create a dedicated Aircraft Resource Section for you and what it will contain that will assist you.

Your thoughts are appreciated

opinion on good and bad points..

Definately not...as this causes all sorts of problems and I am going to say this, starts the bashing of certain aircraft.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it gets way out of hand to the extent it needs moderating.

A help section for the aircraft that you are after would be good, but any "bashing" will be automatically deleted.

-Linda

Guest Howard Hughes

How about a standard format which only details the specifications of the aircraft? Cruise speed, number of seats, range, cost, options, etc...

How about a standard format which only details the specifications of the aircraft? Cruise speed, number of seats, range, cost, options, etc...

This...020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Include the amount of hours to build, average weight of airframe (+/- engine), available engine FWF packages.

Basically the ability to compare FOR YOURSELF what suits you, your circumstances, and your budget, without the usual slanging match erupting. I would welcome comment as long as they are FACT based, "My XXX weighs 319kg empty with a Jab 3300 motor and fast glass panel, and cruises at 112Kt at 23l/h", enabling a judgement to be made for the individual as to suitability. Any other comments should result in a suspension from the forum (Draconian, but necessary - keep it fact based and leave the questions and slanging matches for general chat.).

Would it be possible to embed excel spreadsheets? (x3? = "trikes", "low and slow", and "conventional 3 axis", and 2 for engines, "2 stroke", "4 stroke"). This would be a worthy addition to enable a "mix and match" of engines and airframes. Yes, the information is available, but it is scattered all over the internet. It would be useful to have it all in one place.

Definately not...as this causes all sorts of problems and I am going to say this, starts the bashing of certain aircraft.Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it gets way out of hand to the extent it needs moderating.

A help section for the aircraft that you are after would be good, but any "bashing" will be automatically deleted.

-Linda

Yes, definitely stick to emphasising positives. I don't want to see a testosterone-fueled Ford versus Holden stoush happening at this Forum.

• Like 1

I have often thought that a comprehensive suppository of information is what's missing on this site.

It definitely needs to be a reference section where people can go for information on the particular aircraft. As such, we don't want to see 'bashing' of any sort, but certainly impressions, based on fact would get an airing, so to speak. It could be a fine line sometimes and could take some astute moderation at times.

As some of you know, I have been involved in restoring a Thruster from virtually scratch and it would have been a very big help to find most of what I needed in one place. It would be good to have Tony Hayes's material in such a reference section.

My idea would be for material to be submitted by individuals for a particular aircraft section, and the submission/information would be 'vetted' by a panel to see if it would be worthy of inclusion.

Sections for each aircraft type could include....

1) Original manufacturers documentation and performance specifications, POH etc. Include different models here.(This section could have legal/copyright connotations I know)

2) Flight tests.

3) Suppliers list of various materials and parts. Not all aircraft manufacturers still exist so this section would include details of suppliers sourced by individuals building/rebuilding an aircraft.

4) Builders blogs.

5) Forum for the type, similar to what we now have - maybe you could transfer the threads for the aircraft type into this new section Ian.

My thoughts anyway.

Pud

I have often thought that a comprehensive suppository of information is what's missing on this site.It definitely needs to be a reference section where people can go for information on the particular aircraft. As such, we don't want to see 'bashing' of any sort, but certainly impressions, based on fact would get an airing, so to speak. It could be a fine line sometimes and could take some astute moderation at times. See Point A

As some of you know, I have been involved in restoring a Thruster from virtually scratch and it would have been a very big help to find most of what I needed in one place. It would be good to have Tony Hayes's material in such a reference section. See Point B

My idea would be for material to be submitted by individuals for a particular aircraft section, and the submission/information would be 'vetted' by a panel to see if it would be worthy of inclusion.

Sections for each aircraft type could include....

1) Original manufacturers documentation and performance specifications (A) , POH etc. Include different models here (Listing model year changes through the life of the model - A) .(This section could have legal/copyright connotations I know)

2) Flight tests (B) .

3) Suppliers list of various materials and parts. Not all aircraft manufacturers still exist so this section would include details of suppliers sourced by individuals building/rebuilding an aircraft (A) .

4) Builders blogs (B) .

5) Forum for the type, similar to what we now have - maybe you could transfer the threads for the aircraft type into this new section Ian.

My thoughts anyway.

Pud

Pud,

Most of what you want is already there. (Using you Thruster example).

I think the idea is to get "Point A" up and running with simple details in a standard format that can be used for comparisons. All chit-chat and individual thoughts on aircraft go into "Point B" (In your case the current thruster subgroup)

Point A http://www.recreationalflying.com/directory/

Point B http://www.recreationalflying.com/forums/thruster.41/

I see the "Aircraft" tab (Point A) as being a reference, and the individual (current) subgroups of "Ultralight and LSA Aircraft Usergroups" (Point B) being for discussion. By all means move relevant information across, but in an edited factual form by a moderator only. The only access to Point A should be through a moderator, with all normal users blocked from uploading.

My 2 cents worth..

Oh, and I think you will find it is a "repository" not "suppository". I'll let you Google it.......042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif

How about something like this...

When clicking on the Aircraft menu tab item you see this:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/categories/recreational-flying-aircraft.154/

Click on an Aircraft Category you see this:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/libraries/recreational-3-axis.155/

Clicking on an Aircraft within the category you see a single page with info about the Aircraft PLUS a tab across the top for discussion...the Discussion is actually a thread within a forum. As an example you can go to the forum thread and see the discussion on the Aircraft PLUS the details about the Aircraft...see the thread here:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/jabiru-j230.43020/

NOTE...ALL of the above is still work in progress and will be deleted as it is used just as an example.

• Like 1

As long as it's got a suppository I'll be happy hehehe 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifPud

Sometimes even a spellchecker can't help you............

Sorry about that, but I am a Registered Nurse amongst other things and must admit to almost soiling myself when I read that original post.

• Like 1