Jabiru engine make excellent paperweights

motzartmerv

Ahhh yea.. The quality just oozes. Lost more time yesterday and today due to an intermittent total electrical failure. The engineer pulled the dash out and a handful of wires came out of their crimp locks. Apparently on an entire loom the wires were not crimped, just jammed into the crimpers. Must have been a Friday arvo job.Factory built, 24 rego'd. Can see a couple of jabs entering the market soon..

What can I say other than WOW! How can this sort of error pass through? I know we are all human and make silly mistakes but this is big I believe. Whos checking on each others work?

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

The potential here is huge and very dangerous. An inflight, in-cabin electrical fire, or total power failure with what that may entail. Standard proceedure in the industry is to do the 'pull test' when crimping. At the very least all Jab owners probabily need to pull their dashes, and check if this is just a one-off...Obviously not a great deal of quality control going on somewhere !..................................................Maj...

Yea maj. The first thing I thought of was the 15 year old girl we sent solo the other day in this acft. We do train for flap failures etc but to be honest I'm not sure how she would have reacted had smoke or even a bad smell started fillin the cockpit.. Fuses are only any good if the wiring is good.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Well this is a 24 registered aircraft Motz.........what the ?......................................................Maj...

Yes.. And, was bought brand spanking new, and te paperwork on the radio and transponder showed they were second hand units. Reconditioned and stuck in the aircraft. The owner demanded a new radio, which they supplied, AND charged her for. ;)

Just stand back an let the quality woft over you...

• Like 1

The engineer pulled the dash out and a handful of wires came out of their crimp locks. Apparently on an entire loom the wires were not crimped, just jammed into the crimpers. Must have been a Friday arvo job. Factory built, 24 rego'd.

Hey Motz,

I hope there will be a deffect report on it's way to the RAAus Tech Manager re this. Without official reporting RAAus cannot act upon continuing poor quality like this.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

CASA now require in their regs that all major defects be reported, either by the person finding the defect, or the person supervising the maintenance. You can actually be fined brownie points for not reporting one.......see below:...............................Maj...034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Civil Aviation regulation 51A: Reporting of defects in Australian aircraft: Major defects.

(1) This regulation applies to major defects:

(a) that have caused, or that could cause, a primary structural failure in an aircraft;or

(b) that have caused, or that could cause, a control system failure in an aircraft; or

© that have caused, or that could cause, an engine structural failure in an aircraft;or

(d) caused by, that have caused, or that could cause, fire in an aircraft.

(2) If a person connected with the operation of, or the carrying out of maintenance of, an Australian aircraft discovers a defect in the aircraft, being a defect of a kind to which this regulation applies, the person must report the defects to CASA immediatly.

Penalty : 50 penalty points.

Guest Crezzi
CASA now require in their regs that all major defects be reported, either by the person finding the defect, or the person supervising the maintenance. You can actually be fined brownie points for not reporting one.......see below:...............................Maj...034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

RAAus aircraft are exempt from all of the airworthiness requirements of Part 4

Cheers

John

Well this is a 24 registered aircraft Motz.........what the ?......................................................Maj...

And this is an aircraft, not a set of disc harrows.

Where did Australia's "aircraft standard" go to?

I heard of an issue where the incorrect prop bolts were used - Too high tensile rating and were prone to fracture. It appears the 6 main crank bolts have fractured, would only need one or 2 to fracture. They are pretty tight and have detailed process for use of Loctite. Needs heat to remove old adapter. Rare to hear of this sort of issue on a 6 cylinder

The prop flange adapter is a separate piece, the ones Ive seen fitted to new engine are all very short and needs swapping to longer version for every application Ive seen (including Jabiru aircraft).

I know old Jab's had terrible wiring practices I thought it was improved. Wiring inspection is in annual inspection list?

Just one crook quickcrimp can render whole electrical system failure, With the servo operated flaps, landing without them would be key training. They fail regularly and are a regular inspection item.

RAAus aircraft are exempt from all of the airworthiness requirements of Part 4Cheers

John

I thought with the exemptions came some stipulations in regard to ongoing maintenance and monitoring of alternative standards for Ra-Aus Operations....

Guest Crezzi
I thought with the exemptions came some stipulations in regard to ongoing maintenance and monitoring of alternative standards for Ra-Aus Operations....

Indeed so - CAO95.xx mandates that the aircraft be maintained in accordance with the appropriate Technical Manual.In the case of RAAus, section 4.3 contains the requirements for defect reporting

Cheers

John

Guest Maj Millard

You guys are just a bunch of Jab bashers !!.....should be ashamed of yourselves. !!.......................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 028_whisper.gif.c42ab2fd36dd10ba7a7ea829182acdc1.gif