Jabiru engine make excellent paperweights

motzartmerv

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a Kangaroo dog having a sh$t!

They're good dogs them 'roo dogs. A bit of a hand full at times. But good handlers get outstanding results. I guess it's only to be expected that those who don't (perhaps even can't?) handle them, are going to say horrible/unkind things about the beasts...

059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif poking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif

Now THIS is a 1920's undercarriage![ATTACH=full]18442[/ATTACH]

Looks a bit like a lovely Pietenpol undercarriage?

The one I flew was hand made, every bit of it -

189016_1310198571817_5425458_n.jpg

When those funny taildraggers were about the aerodromes were all over fields. You landed into wind on grass, without brakes and the tower had flashing and steady lights to speak to you. Men were men and the women were glad of it. (So the story goes). These days if a girl is in love with a pilot, they will probably have that in common. ( so the story goes)...Nev

• Like 2

A lycoming 0-233 in a jab is a bit too heavy ( we have already looked at doing it!) particularly in a J230 where your empty wt is already pushing 380kg with the Jab engine, another 30 kg plus a probably heavier prop and you have a very limited aeroplane. Keep it light and keep it simple. Want to do an engine swap?Fitted with a c/s prop it will perform every bit as well with a 912S as it does with a Jab 3300 engine and about the same wt(maybe 5-10kg difference). Just my 2 cents worth. Tom

Guest Maj Millard

Saw A pietonpol at a big airshow in the states. For braking he had a brroomstick mounted on one side of the fuselage, hinged in the middle like a lever. He just grabbed the top of it and drug it on the ground !...Seem to be enough as he was taxing on tarmac. When ready for takeoff he just streamlined it along the side of the fuselage......................simplicity !!!.........................Maj...041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Some people never really graduate to a kangaroo dog taking a [email protected] at Turbos' stable for instance, every bloody one of them training-wheel equipped !!!......................................008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifpoking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif

Guest Maj Millard

My one real brush with a true avaition legend !!!!...............taught me how to fly taildraggers !!!!!!...............................008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Some people never really graduate to a kangaroo dog taking a [email protected] at Turbos' stable for instance, every bloody one of them training-wheel equipped !!!......................................008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifpoking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif

That's because I get plenty of practice doing circles and swapping ends on the race track, but on the bucket list I do have a visit to Egypt to see the pyramids, Dodge City and maybe even a flight in one of those old taildraggers.

• Like 1

My one real brush with a true avaition legend !!!!...............taught me how to fly taildraggers !!!!!!...............................008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

You're kidding, right? You were taught to fly tailgraggers by Bob Hoover?... WOW!!! But that'd be SERIOUS bragging rights, wouldn't it?

Yee bloody har,We'd all learn to land like a cat peeing on glass if'n we had to land with that gear, by crikey...

It is a lot stronger than it looks. Apparently it is a similar or same design as was used on the Jenny all those years ago. All hand made and the same as what is going on my Pietenpol.

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1

So you reckon a 912 will perform OK on a 600kg J230?

914 perhaps but thats a different animal with different costs and problems. A new one of those with good CS would be quite expensive Id guess.

The the Lyc might be a good thing under VH. 700kg MTOW.

Whats the cost of a new Lyc 0-233?

So you reckon a 912 will perform OK on a 600kg J230?914 perhaps but thats a different animal with different costs and problems. A new one of those with good CS would be quite expensive Id guess.

The the Lyc might be a good thing under VH. 700kg MTOW.

Whats the cost of a new Lyc 0-233?

Not sure on the Lycoming ,I'd guess in the mid 20 k, but if you get the TBO( or more) compared to an out of warranty failure at 3-400 hours they will look pretty cheap really. A 3300 Jab is around 18k, If it lasts 600 hours then you would have bought three by the time the Lycosaurus is on condition,,,,doesn't sound like a cheap option really!

Because of variations in the manner in which engines are

operated and maintained, Lycoming can give no assurance that any individual operator will achieve

the recommended TBO.

Continuous service assumes that the aircraft will not be out of service for any extended period of time.

Refer to latest revision of Service Letter No. L180 if the aircraft is to be out of service for a period of time

greater than 30 days

Engine deterioration in the form of corrosion (rust) and the drying out and hardening of

composition materials such as gaskets, seals, flexible hoses and fuel pump diaphragms can occur if an

engine is out of service for an extended period of time. Due to the loss of a protective oil film after an

extended period of inactivity, abnormal wear on soft metal bearing surfaces can occur during engine

start. Therefore, all engines that do not accumulate the hourly period of time between overhauls

specified in this publication are recommended to be overhauled in the twelfth year.

It would be interesting to see how the Lycoming engine would last in the same operating environments as the Jabiru engines [low hrs or longer durations between flights]

Guest Maj Millard

No Wayne, Bob didn't teach me to fly taildraggers, I was just dreaming.......I reckon I learnt to really fly watching him do his thing at the Reno Air races over a few years however !.........the man was just so smooth with his flying style, a great inspiration indeed.........Cheers Maj...107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

I believe the 912S will perform in a j230 better than most people think, I regularly take off using only 100hp with the 914 J400 with the family on board, performance is at least as good if not better than the Jab powered aircraft. If you can wait a few months we will have a j200 with a 912S flying and all will see that is really is a viable alternative. I have heard of one already done but unfortunately I have not spoken to him personally about the conversion I would like to though. Tom

• Like 1

A reduction gear and a bigger prop will help. Also you have the possibility of a constant speed/ variable pitch with the Rotax. If you want to carry 4 people I can't see you doing it with under say 140 hp unless you ahve a BIG wiug. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes
Can see a couple of jabs entering the market soon..

A Bristell RG would make a nice replacement!

A few years ago It was accepted that the 4 cyl Jab was making 85 HP on test. Since then the ignition has been retarded and the cylinder either lengthened or a shim fitted at the bottom. These mods would reduce the power output. I don't know what figures Jab say they make with the latest version. Unless the engine makes the stated revs on take-off it will not have the power that it is rated at. I have never had any reason to believe that Jabiru have overstated their developed horsepower figures.. Nev

peeps?

Torque is measured on a dynomometer

Horsepower is Torque multiplied by rpm

Once you have the torque of an engine from the dyno test you can calculate the horsepower at a given rpm with a hand held calculator.

When you open the throttle and set it at a given rpm, you will know what the horsepower is based on the dyno test.

Of course if you installed a $50 Chinese Tacho the power could be anything.