Please test new server

Admin

Hi All

I have finished setting up and testing our new server but I would like to hear your opinion if you think it is an improvement over our current server.

I have installed a copy of this site on it for you to give it a try...it is at http://www.recfly.com.au/ and you can do what you like on that site as it will be completely deleted in a couple of days...if, and only if, you think it is performing better i.e. faster to load, faster submitting a post, faster overall etc, then we will move this site over to the new server that is here in Australia and drop the US one.

BUT please note that it will take a little browsing on that test site before your own cache builds up and you get to see its full performance.

So please, go to http://www.recfly.com.au/, log in, play around and let me know if you find it any better then the performance here...thanks

Hmmm...not good if only 2 people say it is faster and no one else comments...do I leave the site being hosted in the US?

I couldnt really notice any difference in load times here in Qld. Maybe the western states would benifit more by the sounds of it.

Pete, if you already have a reasonably quick connection I doubt you will see much difference...I am on Optus Cable with the premium speed pack so I can download a backup of all the images on this site (1.4gig zipped file) in about 2.5 mins, so with that speed I don't notice any difference at all which is why I depend on the comments by others to really know if they are better off or not...because I can't tell without manually throttling my connection and even then it wouldn't be a realistic scenario

it goes good, can you set the new server's database up to slave to the old one?

That will completely slow down the site for those that use it on the new server and an extremely bad move that opens itself up to extra issues...it is currently planned to migrate the whole site over to the new server this Friday night...testing the migration shows a 6hr job and about 30mins for DNS propagation (for me anyway). Yesterday I moved a site that I am working on over which took 15mins for the site and I had to wait about 30mins for the DNS so I could see it again (http://www.beautytherapistnetwork.com.au/). Today I will be converting the enthusiasts site over to Xenforo and migrate that. Jackaroo (www.jackaroo.com.au), my personal site, was the first to move over which was just a DNS and email system and that also took about 30mins to propagate the DNS (for me).

After today the only site left to migrate over will be this one...the biggy!