The Morgan Motor Glider

slartibartfast

Our new workshop will be a development centre for new aircraft and working on cosmetic's on existing ones. A range of gliders from simple car topper simple home built of planes and of course all the gliders will be self launch.

One surprise I have had lately is that if a wing is 1"thicker it is the same drag as the hole fuselage ( 15m)

• Informative 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you the best in your endeavours Garry.

Just make sure you get he right advice, follow the procedures to the letter, make sure your build quality is the best possible and hopefully you will get some redemption and the support you need.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

There is a new 13.5m class of glider, I have been going over some glider design books, and making a 1/4 size model to do some testing on a new design. It will be a self launch and avaible as plans or parts. As a glider is a lot more involed than a power aircraft it wont be out next week. L/D around 38-1

Another glider as a car topper cheap to build of plans 11.5m and light and of course self launch ( can be RAA rego ) with a brigs and stratton motor, or anything else you want to fit.

100kg pilot load and 280kg MTOW. We recon 1 ltr of fuel and go flying for the day when the lift is on. Plans would include glass or wood construction for the wing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Managed to post the photos but didn't know how to post the email text which came with the photos. Alan.

Hold your left click button down while transversing the text (it will highlight), right click anywhere on the highlight, left click "copy", open the reply box here, right click anywhere in the reply box and choose "paste" with your left click.

• 1 month later...

Garry, (or other approved Morgan Aeroworks spokesperson, or even an unapproved guy who knows something!)

how's progress with the self launch gliders going?

I see in the GFA magazine they are trying various methods to increase membership especially thinking of the next generation of pilots. An Australian built self launch glider may just be part of the answer

The glider is almost ready for paint, and the panel is painted and ready for wiring, again working on it is slow with other work needing to get out.

Design progress on the 13.5m class glider, after listing to other people comments, will be 15-18m. and looking at a 2 seater 20-23m two seat high performance self launch, it has to be a carbon spar to get the 620,000 lb load, but to my surprise

$1500.00 for the carbon fibre and the metal spar for the touring glider cost $3500.00 double the cost. more and more gliders are being built with motors and this is the way we need to go. no plans for gliders have relay been available science fibre glass come of age in the 60s, as production gliders are made out of moulds. I aim to made available plans for glass gliders with out moulds, but still will have a sandwich skin to get the stiffness required.now it is a toss up of a 18m single or a 20m+ two seater which you can build for 20k and 40-1 + L/D every one i tell about it says i cant do it but as a material cost and a lot of time you can do it, and it could change the out look on gliding.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Had an email recently from Gary Morgan (He was in New Zealand) advising that the new Motor Glider will be at Natfly; he also sent the latest photos but I had forgotten how to put them on this forum from an email so I forwarded the email to Ian. Gary asked me to do it but Ian hasn't responded.???

Alan.

Alan Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing the photps of the finished aircraft. I actually called in and Gary showed me the motor glider and his stable. I was impressed with what aircraft he has designed and made and the time and information that he explained to me. He is a great knowledgable guy. The first flights will a pleasure after all his hard work.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Camel,

no, those are not the ones. There are seven photos.

Alan.

PS If there is anyone who can get these photos onto the forum from an email, please send me a PM with your email address and I shall forward it onto you. Gary has asked me to put it on the forum but I haven't been able to do it. Help guys.