New Dash Layout

Mr Mal

OK guys I am looking for some informed opinions as I dont have enough experience to call mine "informed". I am in the process of replacing the wiring and dash layout in a Sierra 100. I have the following:

Xtreme Mini EFIS - Tach, Fuel, EGT, CHT and Oil press/temp

Air Speed Indicator

Vertical Speed Indicator

Turn Coordinator

Altimeter

Vertical Compass

Garmin 196

Now the question is on the layout and what would be the best layout - analogue flight gauges on the left bank, Efis Left bank, analogue central with compass and gps on right etc etc ...... so many choices so I thought I would surf the net for pictures and ask for your opinions and experiences on what you have found works. I am looking for a functional layout that meets the usual requirments of "the right gauges in the right place in case things go wrong".

Look forward to hearing from you!

Mal

Hi Mal,

I went thru a similar process last year when I was designing my panel. See picture. I teneded to keep things standard as much as possible. So I have flight instruments on the left side, basically as a six pack configuration, then gps, radio and Xponder in the centre stack with engine instruments on the left. Everything is located logically and can be seen from the left seat. Try and keep those instruments that you refer to frequently in front of you as much as you can. keeping instruments in standard locations also helps when you transition from one aircraft to another.

Good luck with it and love to see a pix of the final panel.

cheers

redIMG_1806.jpg.5f5b05fbdb4e8d5ffe0ac88e40baeb90.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the layout I chose for my panel. I copied this from the layout of the Beechcraft Baron. I figured Beechcraft probably spent a few $$$ researching the layout and sinci I had the same layout in my sim it looks familiar. I find now that I'm flying with it that I don't have to move my eyes very far to scan all the important stuff

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back guys - they all look awesome. Having thought the three over plus others on the net my plan of attack is to cut some ply board mock ups and bolt them in and sit and stare at them.......

Scott - how did you go about getting the panel cut? I am thinking measure it up and send it to a water jet cutter for making into a CAD drawing and cutting it out.

Mal

A fly-cutter works well to cut the circular holes. Just make sure you clamp the piece down firmly, use a slow speed in the drill press and plenty of cutting fluid.

rgmwa

That looks impressive RGMWA, how did you do the square sections?

I'm embarrased to say I can only claim credit for the less impressive round holes, the two small rectangular ones and some of the drilled holes. The big cutouts were pre-cut by Vans. Left side is mag switches and ignition, large hole is Skyview, centre stack is switches/fuses, radio, ASI and alt. Right side from bottom is intercom, ELT switch, clock and vertical card compass, far right is glove box. The transponder and A/P are controlled from the Skyview panel. Rectangular hole above the Skyview is for a slip indicator. (Skyview has one, but I like the old fashioned variety). The clock is a refurbished 8 day Elgin off eBay that came from some military aircraft. Don't really need one of course, but it looks nice and the mechanical clock saves connecting up more wires and potentially running the battery down. (Anybody want a nice Mitchell electric clock?). The square holes were drilled, cut with a Dremel and finished off carefully with a file. They came out OK.

Here's a picture of a standard RV-12 panel. I've relocated the ELT and intercom on mine.

rgmwa

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back guys - they all look awesome. Having thought the three over plus others on the net my plan of attack is to cut some ply board mock ups and bolt them in and sit and stare at them.......Scott - how did you go about getting the panel cut? I am thinking measure it up and send it to a water jet cutter for making into a CAD drawing and cutting it out.

Mal

Mal: I drilled it with holesaws and then deburred the holes. To get the alignments exactly right I used my milling machine. This could be done as well by hand, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I just happened to have the machinery.

Rgmwa - the electric clock running the battery flat is the least of your worries with a screen THAT big!!! :)

Scott that is a nice machine to have at your disposal ...... Makes my drill press look rather poverty pack - went looking for hole saws today and not a single 80mm saw to be found.... Planning and execution sounds to be the key here.

Wiring harness is in, 16 wires for egt and cht, oil pressure and temp - all running through a nice 31 pin DT connector ( locates and twist locks making it easy to rund through the bulkhead). Complete rewire of engine bay turned out to be easier than additions.

Thing I am finding is that this is giving me intimate knowledge of the aircraft which is always pretty good.

Guernsey - is your aircraft a Sierra? If so do you have a bubble canopy or the wrap around? The bubble canopy is on the list of things to do, first finding one will be the trick....

Bubble canopy (Morgan Aeroworks makes all of his canopies and can customize one for you) see attached photos. Ours is a factory built Sierra with a Jabiru 3300 6 cylinder engine.

Alan.

1076074852_Morgans1.jpg.50c15c081e4ca9d46d4ffb6b6f74265d.jpg

1796564650_MorganS2.jpg.6714086c9b1dd5fadee049c2e74e8c3c.jpg

1002542201_MorganS5.jpg.458b2ad550893ed7dbfd1fffbcf08252.jpg

The quoted price without carton etc is $500 door to door. Which is expensive when compared to an American canopy maker who can do one delivered to the door from the states for $870 - $480 of which is freight and box. Trick is I would need to have a clue about the dimensions he requires.

Another option is to complete all of your mods except the canopy, do all your testing & then make along flight south & fit the canopy at the factory. You will get expert advice and assistance & the $500.00 saved can be used for the trip.

• Like 1

Great idea KG - thought of that but the week off work (as a good pilot always plans to get stuck by weather - especially when going to NSW:augie:) then equals big dollars..... catch 22....... and like everything to do with this aircraft ... I want it now:drool:

• 3 weeks later...

As requested guys some pics of the dash work in progress..... prep and painting required. The switch panel on the right is still up for grabs if anyone can show me a good looking one (I LIKE RGMW's one....). GPS dock coming in from the states so that will be cut in when it arrives and two switches requried for ignitions but pretty much getting there.

IMG_0500.jpg.3f883c6d685d2901e740449afc8c0744.jpg