First lesson done.

Av8ta

Just completed my first lesson, my countless hours in microsoft flight sim must of helped, took off, flew around and landed unassisted. I'm absolutely hooked now. Flew a Tecnam p92, beautiful little plane. One down, never ending learning to go. Looking forward to more flights, two more lessons this coming weekend.

• Like 1

Edit: Just completed my first lesson, my countless hours in microsoft flight sim must of helped, took off, flew around and landed unassisted, instructed but basically unassisted. Instructor was as excited as me. Fantastic aero club, fantastic instructor, fantastic dream come true. I'm absolutely hooked now. Flew a Tecnam p92, beautiful little plane. One down, never ending learning to go. Looking forward to more flights, two more lessons this coming weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, and ayavner I'm flying out of Latrobe Valley, excellent club, quite social and very welcoming. I plan to get my raa with xc and nav and later on move over to ga and maybe push right through to my commercial. At the moment though I'm just gonna enjoy the experience. Haven't been well for a couple of weeks but good now and flying again tomorrow. Hope second flight goes as well as the first.

Completed my second lesson, which we concentrated on straight and level flight. Bit bumpy up there but not to bad. Completed take off and landing unassisted again, very excited and loving it. Why didn't I do this sooner?

Just completed my first lesson, my countless hours in microsoft flight sim must of helped, took off, flew around and landed unassisted. I'm absolutely hooked now. Flew a Tecnam p92, beautiful little plane. One down, never ending learning to go. Looking forward to more flights, two more lessons this coming weekend.

Onya Av8ta! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I trust you'll have many more enjoyable flights!!

Completed my second lesson, which we concentrated on straight and level flight. Bit bumpy up there but not to bad. Completed take off and landing unassisted again, very excited and loving it. Why didn't I do this sooner?

Many of us have asked this question!

Congrats mate...I've been flying RC model and flight-sims (not MS) for years too so getting through the initial bits were pretty easy. Unlike you though, i had to work through my bad flight-sim landing habits - apparently just getting it on the ground isn't good enough in real life ;). Also as you've probably found, it's quite different getting the real feedback and actually having to think about things going wrong is quite a novelty!

Ak

• Like 1

Hi

Congrats mate...I've been flying RC model and flight-sims (not MS) for years too so getting through the initial bits were pretty easy. Unlike you though, i had to work through my bad flight-sim landing habits - apparently just getting it on the ground isn't good enough in real life ;). Also as you've probably found, it's quite different getting the real feedback and actually having to think about things going wrong is quite a novelty!Ak

HI AK, yeah I have flown r/c on and off since I was about 11 years old, I have found that flying in real life is a bit easier than the sims in one way, you get that feedback and sense of speed or lack of, and you can just feel what's going on so much better. Just gotta get my licence, sell my boat and purchase a plane.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Third lesson complete. Bit windy, was a bit nervous but I managed to perform my first crosswind takeoff and landing and I'm three for three, unassisted on all lessons thus far. Lesson went well we were focusing on level turns and did a few climbing and descending turns as well. Very excited about the crosswind landing, it was interesting with the amount of input changes you have to put into the controls to keep it level and it was a lot of fun. Still enjoying the journey not focusing on the destination (acquiring licence) just having fun getting there. Instructor is the best, no pressure, not cocky, just likes flying and he's a top bloke with a great sense of humour. I said when we got up to about 2000ft that I was a little uneasy with the wind but getting used to it and he replied "just bloody fly the thing", so I did. For those who are interested i'll keep you posted with my progress. Cheers.

Thanks everyone, and ayavner I'm flying out of Latrobe Valley, excellent club, quite social and very welcoming. I plan to get my raa with xc and nav and later on move over to ga and maybe push right through to my commercial. At the moment though I'm just gonna enjoy the experience. Haven't been well for a couple of weeks but good now and flying again tomorrow. Hope second flight goes as well as the first.

I think many start out with that ambition, but few achieve it

Flying models and sims can make a great deal of difference. You know how the controls work and the aircraft attitiude and speed management. Persons who fly simulators exclusively tend to fly them better than pilots with a lot of recent stick and rudder because the seat of the pants input is not there to throw you off. Once you get motion simulators while not perfect they are so good that you can just jump into the real plane and fly it after you have done the full course. Nev

• Like 1

Forth lesson completed. Ascending and descending, good lesson, i was a bit up and

down though!!! :) my takeoff was my best yet, dead straight and nice lift of into smooth ascent. Lesson was fun, played around with some thermals around 5000ft at idle for a while, that was really cool. Practiced returning to airfield at correct descent rate to arrive at just above circuit height to have a look at field before joining circuit. My landing could have been a bit nicer, I turned in a little short on my base leg and ended up with a short final leg and landed a little further down the runway than normal, but I've been told that it's not a case of IF you do a bad landing, it's WHEN. I haven't had any lessons in takeoff and landings yet so I suppose I'm going alright, ha ha. Onwards and upwards, more lessons=greater knowledge=safer flying=more enjoyment.

• Like 1

Never, ever, ever, never use the term ascending. It sounds too much like descending. Always use climbing and descending. Keep up the training, it only gets better.

Good point. I stand corrected. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Another lesson completed, climbing and descending turns. Spot on weather, perfect sunshine, wind came up a bit but not to much. Lesson went well. I performed my first touch and go which was a highlight for me, once you have your ticket you probably get over them but I loved it. My takeoffs are pretty good now, my landings aren't perfect but their not rough just not that polished but I'll get there. Next lesson is stalls and then I'm onto circuits, looking forward to trying some stalls, have no fear of them on a simulator, worst case is i hit the reset flight button but we'll see if im as relaxed up there in the real world without a reset button! :)

• Like 1