Fuelling a high wing

stevron

Another way is to make a plug for the usual 20L plastic jerry can which has two pipes going through the plug. One pipe is connected to one of those pumps that you use to blow up inflatable mattresses. The other pipe is attached to a length of fuel line long enough to reach the tank opening. Then you pressurise the jerry can with the pump and the fuel flows out the fuel line into the tank. It has the advantage that no electrical stuff is used near fuel.

• Like 1

Macnaught do hand driven drum pumps, very few makers will Ok petrol and Avgas. http://www.macnaught.com.au/shop/item/rapidflo.

Pretty common with Air Ag guys and Heli teams working from remote strips.

I have a Rapidflo with filter and meter Id sell, havent used it for a few years but its as new

Using any other type of electric setup can be highly dangerous as these motors spark internally and vapours are everywhere.

There are a few on Aircraft Spruce which might be more what your looking for.

If using containers or drums buy a funnel filter to keep contamination down.

I use a dedicated efi pump to avoid any danger of arcing. I recall some discussion of pressurising fuel containers with air leading to the danger of the fuel container bursting. Of course a dedicated refueling rig should be the safest but some may be put off by high costs. Don

Stevron

The pump is a Grayco "Blue Devil" they are rated for the zone (i.e. hazardous area). I have pumped about 25,000 litres through mine (avgas & mogas) without any issues. A couple of photos below including the name plate.

1058340490_GraycoBlueDevil.jpg.5c75cb4ac1bc8e6993131b0615f4615b.jpg

690154326_GraycoBlueDevil-1.jpg.3e7da66ebf755e48a7215b732bb3842a.jpg

A had a hand high volume pump with a filter incorporated in the pick up (inlet) end, which fitted into a jerry can. No electricity involved. If you design the outlet pipe correctly the end will stay in the wing fuel filler fitting. It's too big to take it with you, but I usually found bowsers, en route. Nev

If I need to fill out of a container, I have a bunch of 10lt containers which makes it much easier to manage on a high wing.Cheers

Vev

I agree. I have one 10 liter container. Fill the 10 liter from the 20 liter containers then you only have 10 liter weights. A bit slower but better to manage the lift and pouring procedure.

Cheers

Mike

I use a $40 battery operated jerry can pump from super cheap auto..leave the 20ltr jerry on the ground stick the pump in and the hose in the funnel(I made a hook so I dont have to hold the hose in the funnel) switch on and a couple mins later job done..no back work,well I can lift it with a severe disc buldge so was either that or my 40kg missus would have to lift it ..yep 1/2 her body weight...strong.gif.dc81ffdb7807ef709604a09d84c59938.gif

• 2 months later...
Macnaught do hand driven drum pumps, very few makers will Ok petrol and Avgas. http://www.macnaught.com.au/shop/item/rapidflo.Pretty common with Air Ag guys and Heli teams working from remote strips.

I have a Rapidflo with filter and meter Id sell, havent used it for a few years but its as new

Using any other type of electric setup can be highly dangerous as these motors spark internally and vapours are everywhere.

There are a few on Aircraft Spruce which might be more what your looking for.

If using containers or drums buy a funnel filter to keep contamination down.

I would like to see some more info or photos and of cause costs. Email me on , [email protected] , thanks Stevron

• 2 weeks later...

Had an idea!

Get a homebrew vat, they are airtight from seals top and bottom. Hold 20L.

Put a car tyre valve in the top where the airlock usually sits, and attach a hose to the bottom held inplace with screw-turn clamp.

Connect an air pump to the air valve up top and there you go... fuel pump!

Cheers - boingk

Had an idea!Get a homebrew vat, they are airtight from seals top and bottom. Hold 20L.

Put a car tyre valve in the top where the airlock usually sits, and attach a hose to the bottom held inplace with screw-turn clamp.

Connect an air pump to the air valve up top and there you go... fuel pump!

Cheers - boingk

Sounds good to me, what fuel do you use......98 octane home brew? 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Alan.

Sounds good to me, what fuel do you use......98 octane home brew? 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gifAlan.

Ha! Wouldn't it be nice?

Fuel for the Minicab is 95 mogas with valvelube additive 1.5ml/litre added on filling. Standard books rate the A65-8 for 75 octane and recommend 80 octane or higher... and I have to run additive even with 100LL so why bother paying an extra $1 a litre for it? So far running fine on 95, even the last owner recommended it as it has less valvestick and easier starting.

Cheers - boingk