Foxbat curiousity

If I had the money I would buy one... Good vis, easy to fly and one of the largest luggage weight. I have a friend that owns one and have flown it a few times on some long trips. The view in the Foxbat is great and lots of room... Go for a flight in one as I am sure you will love it. They are very well built and reliable with the Rotax motor.

Can't go wrong with the foxbat

• Like 2

If I had the money I would buy one... Good vis, easy to fly and one of the largest luggage weight. I have a friend that owns one and have flown it a few times on some long trips. The view in the Foxbat is great and lots of room... Go for a flight in one as I am sure you will love it. They are very well built and reliable with the Rotax motor.

Can't go wrong with the foxbat

yeah, ive done a bit of research on them and they surely seem like a great aircraft, as you said the vis and space is incredible and i would love to have a fly in one to know if its the right plane for me. i cant seem to find a fault in them yet so they seem amazing. thanks for the help!

Guest Howard Hughes
The visibiity down is good but actually scared me a little! I suddenly realised the ground is there! But nice to land on grass, you don't feel the bumps.

Everything is nice to land on grass!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I'm not really a fan of them, but that's just me... the engine is a Rotax 912 so plenty of reliability there.

Easy to fly, vis is good as some have already mentioned, however that creates it's own drama's on a hot sunny day! And they're expensive! If I had the choice between a foxy and a Sav S I'd go the Sav...

• Like 3

I'm not really a fan of them, but that's just me... the engine is a Rotax 912 so plenty of reliability there.Easy to fly, vis is good as some have already mentioned, however that creates it's own drama's on a hot sunny day! And they're expensive! If I had the choice between a foxy and a Sav S I'd go the Sav...

so i guess this is a good opportunity for me to ask you what sort of aircraft you would reccomend? but yeah they have there pros and cons.

I have a Foxbat....new this year ...done about 30 something hours in it now.

Got the tundra tyres and big tanks.(112L).

I would consider it the perfect first aircraft for a low time pilot like me.(especially with the big tyres) A very forgiving aircraft.

Handles those not so perfect landings with ease.

Tough and strong. Very very easy to fly. If you can't fly a foxbat, you can't fly anything, lol.

Cruise is quite slow....100kts is flogging it hard(with the tundra tyres). I sit on 70 to 80 enjoying the view and not pushing the rotax too hard.

Getting 16 to 18 LPH. Fitting the cold air intake soon, so should be getting better fuel economy/power I think.

Stall at MTOW is around 32Kts.......

60Kts on base, 50Kts on final (1 stage flap) and it lands easy .... and uses bugger all runway.

Really like the yokes and centre throttle (brake lever on throttle handle). I've got long arms and centre stick A/C are not comfortable to me.

320Kg empty and 600 MTOW......leaves a lot of useful carrying capacity.

Plenty of room for a big bloke like me...

I would think it a good training aircraft also due to its very docile handling..and good visability.

The "looks" are what you might call agricultural....Definately not a flashy type.

You might call it a 4WD aircraft....strong and built for a purpose..

Seems to be alot of these in WA....

Regards,

R J Mitchell

• Like 4

I have a Foxbat....new this year ...done about 30 something hours in it now.Got the tundra tyres and big tanks.(112L).

I would consider it the perfect first aircraft for a low time pilot like me.(especially with the big tyres) A very forgiving aircraft.

Tough and strong. Very very easy to fly. If you can't fly a foxbat, you can't fly anything, lol.

Cruise is quite slow....100kts is flogging it hard(with the tundra tyres). I sit on 70 to 80 enjoying the view and not pushing the rotax too hard.

Getting 16 to 18 LPH. Fitting the cold air intake soon, so should be getting better fuel economy/power I think.

60Kts on base, 50Kts on final (1 stage flap) and it lands easy .... and uses bugger all runway.

Really like the yokes and centre throttle (brake lever on throttle handle). I've got long arms and centre stick A/C are not comfortable to me.

I would think it a good training aircraft also due to its very docile handling..and good visability.

The "looks" are what you might call agricultural....Definately not a flashy type.

Regards,

R J Mitchell

A nice summary D-U.

I know i'll get crucified for this but I find it hard to go past a fleet of 4 Cherokee 140's for the same price as a Foxbat. Heck you could have two fully refitted and repainted Archers for the same price...

• Like 5

I have a Foxbat....new this year ...done about 30 something hours in it now.Got the tundra tyres and big tanks.(112L).

Regards,

R J Mitchell

it sounds like a aircraft im very interested in haha

When the time comes, and it will, I'll move on to something sleeker and faster.

But at the moment I enjoy an aircraft that moves at the speed of my "flying" capacity. It's not an aircraft that gets "away" from you.......plenty of time to workout what your doing......

Base price is about that of a 230 Jab I think.....but it might be an apples/oranges comparison......like a 4WD Vs sedan....

Being a Rotax, the engine hours should match the airframe hours for quite some time, if you know what I mean...041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Priced a Brumby low wing with Lycoming........now that price did freak me out.....

To quote the web site: ............ production running at around 80 aircraft per year. As at early 2012 there are over 650 A22s flying in 70 different countries in the world – including over 90 in Australia.

For an aircraft that has been in production for more than 15 years, there are very few service/safety bulletins.

The Euro/Aussie dollar has never been a fantastic exchange I guess which is a downside...

The injected Rotax is now a factory option...

Hello mAgNeToDrOp. Yes, that's my A/C in the hangar at Bunbury. Must get those doors finished.....LOL.....

Regards,

R J Mitchell

• Like 1
  • More 1

When the time comes, and it will, I'll move on to something sleeker and faster.But at the moment I enjoy an aircraft that moves at the speed of my "flying" capacity. It's not an aircraft that gets "away" from you.......plenty of time to workout what your doing......

Base price is about that of a 230 Jab I think.....but it might be an apples/oranges comparison......like a 4WD Vs sedan....

Being a Rotax, the engine hours should match the airframe hours for quite some time, if you know what I mean...041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Priced a Brumby low wing with Lycoming........now that price did freak me out.....

To quote the web site: ............ production running at around 80 aircraft per year. As at early 2012 there are over 650 A22s flying in 70 different countries in the world – including over 90 in Australia.

For an aircraft that has been in production for more than 15 years, there are very few service/safety bulletins.

The Euro/Aussie dollar has never been a fantastic exchange I guess which is a downside...

Hello mAgNeToDrOp. Yes, that's my A/C in the hangar at Bunbury. Must get those doors finished.....LOL.....

Regards,

R J Mitchell

Well i have just passed my flight test and i am 15 and my father is doing his licence aswell, so we are looking at different aircraft and like you said it would support my level and his level of flying so would be a very good aircraft by the sounds of it and yes a very reliable motor haha ;)

When the time comes, and it will, I'll move on to something sleeker and faster.But at the moment I enjoy an aircraft that moves at the speed of my "flying" capacity. It's not an aircraft that gets "away" from you.......plenty of time to workout what your doing......

Regards,

R J Mitchell

I'm surprised at the popularity of the A22/Valor/Foxbat in Australia: 90 from a world-wide total of 650 represents 14 %.

By way of contrast, there are only 4 in New Zealand. I spoke to one of the (then) four owners a year ago and he was v-e-r-y happy with his aircraft. He used to own either a Piper or Cessna and sold that to buy an A22. He reckons the A22 was an absolute pleasure to fly. He also claimed the Foxbat had STOL-like characteristics and he was able to take off from his farm strip in one-third the distance compared to his previous plane.

• Like 1

It is pretty much a STOL aircraft. Thick high lift/ high drag wing with full length flaperons.

One notch of flap (out of two) slows it down plenty.

I should say the underside of the wings and elevator/rudder are fabric covered. The rest being Aluminium with a steel tube frame around cockpit.

Best climb and glide are 54 Kts from memory...

• Like 1

He also claimed the Foxbat had STOL-like characteristics and he was able to take off from his farm strip in one-third the distance compared to his previous plane.

I can see there would be less heart thumping after this, after I did a paddock take off following some light rain where the Cherokee stuck to the ground like glue, and for the first time I had to assess a shut down point.

• Like 1

so i guess this is a good opportunity for me to ask you what sort of aircraft you would reccomend? but yeah they have there pros and cons.

It's a pretty hard question that, as it really depends on what you want to do with it. Fun around the farm, touring, practical, robust etc.... I've flown many types and still haven't really settled on an all rounder favourite yet. Other than maybe the C206... but that's not RAA!

One of the aircraft I was most impressed by would have to the the Rans S7 Courier, here's a quick video I did of a flight in one.

However I do like side by side seating for those times when you're travelling with a good friend etc... so that's the only thing that's holding me back from saying it's one of my 'most' favourite aircraft! But definitely one of my favourites.

• Like 1

It's a pretty hard question that, as it really depends on what you want to do with it. Fun around the farm, touring, practical, robust etc.... I've flown many types and still haven't really settled on an all rounder favourite yet. Other than maybe the C206... but that's not RAA!One of the aircraft I was most impressed by would have to the the Rans S7 Courier, here's a quick video I did of a flight in one.

Side by side seating also makes proposals a bit easier 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

• Like 1

One of my favourite flying videos features a Foxbat . Its probably a little boring for most people but i love it,cruising low over a beautiful landscape no music playing just radio calls and bit of a running commentry.

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

The Foxbat is the type of aircraft that gets my pulse going. I mean great viz, the right engine up front, and the ability to pretty much land anywhere in the right hands.

Being an aircraft engineer by trade and an active L2, I do need to take more than the usual note of service bullitens however.

No aircraft is perfect unfortunatly, and most have some degree of minor, or major defects that appear as they go through their service life.

The Foxbat is no exception and has had some problems with cracking in the tail/elevator areas, nose leg problems and possible main undercarrage leg problems. The supplied prop also only has a life of 500 hours, even though it looks great and is fitted with nice LE metal protection.

Like I say the design is great, and owners love them, however I would be making myself very familiar with the applicable service bullitens, and following any manufacturers' recomendations if I were looking at buying one ...the applicable SBs can be viewed on the RAAus website.................................................Maj...062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif