RFDS Pilot on drugs while flying!!!!

J170 Owner

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes but you seemed to imply (based on a TV show) this was official USAF policy / action by their superior officers "they were given....". That's where the myth starts as opposed to "some took...." which some most probably did, lots of junkies about. Thankfully you say they kicked out the ones they found.

Yes but you seemed to imply (based on a TV show) this was official USAF policy / action by their superior officers "they were given....". That's where the myth starts as opposed to "some took...." which some most probably did, lots of junkies about. Thankfully you say they kicked out the ones they found.

It WAS official US Airforce Policy to issue Go/No Go Pills and is extremely well documented. Their have been court marshals based upon pilots getting too trigger happy and blaming the Pills.... US Airforce spokespeople have defended the "Official" practise publicly... It has been described as the "Gold Standard for Anti-Fatigue" by US Airforce Colonel Peter Demitry, Chief of Airforce Surgeion Genearals Science and Tech Division....

Where did you get this idea from Gnarly Gnu? They don't hide it.

• Like 1

I said they where given because that is exactly what happened. They where given the drugs by USAF Medical personnel.

I said they where given because that is exactly what happened. They where given the drugs by USAF Medical personnel.

...and the USAF medical personnel probably purchased the opiates from the Taliban in Afghanistan.

• 3 months later...
Have a read of this....http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/royal-flying-doctor-service-pilot-passed-out-at-controls-later-tests-positive-for-drugs/story-fndo1qgd-1226520737157

If this story is true the pilot should be named and shamed and given a length of rope and a chair. I simply cannot believe that somebody would be so stupid. (Then again, maybe it's normal and I'm too old to understand?)

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/4118299/ao-2012-147_final.pdf

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

From the information in the report, it would seem that the RFDS were justified in terminating the pilot's employment as his behaviours made him unsafe. However, I also feel for the guy.

As a young fella I believed I was indestructible and while studying a science degree full-time I also worked night shifts and put in a few all-nighters of the partying variety as well. At one stage I was loosing the plot due to lack of regular sleep but couldn't see it at the the time. Luckily a thumping chest infection with pneumonia knocked me off my feet for a while, so I got a chance to get plenty of rest. Only after a few months had passed could I look back and see the cause and effect of poor lifestyle and deterioting health.

If the pilot was suffering from regular sleep deprivation and the anxiety etc that can accompany it, it is quite likely his decision making was significantly impaired. Really needed someone else to tap him on the shoulder and say he was unfit to fly before he got to this point. Who should do this and how would it be detected? I don't know.

It's also pertinent to ask why he was flying that sector when he had been reporting "significant sleep disturbances" for 4 days prior to the incident.

What pressures did he experience that made him operate the flight rather than take a break ?

Maybe his manager should have been the one to tell him to go home and catch up on his sleep ?