Broken Hill

Compulsion

Thinking of flying my J170 to Broken Hill from Gawler after I finish my Navs around new year. Any tips or advice? Information on flying into Broken Hill airport. How far to town from the airport and how can you get into town for accomodation? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

H

Thinking of flying my J170 to Broken Hill from Gawler after I finish my Navs around new year. Any tips or advice? Information on flying into Broken Hill airport. How far to town from the airport and how can you get into town for accomodation? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Hot time of year up there...I heard 44 the other day. Take water. Lots!

Big airstrip and even the dirt cross-strip is 1000m long. Tie down on the grass outside the Aeroclub or to the east of it. There is BP avgas but no mogas.

Great place to visit and some lovely folk in the Aeroclub. Very nice town with good eating places. I use a taxi which isn't all that expensive when there unless I can find some kind soul to give me a lift. It's about 6km into town.

Don't forget there is an RPT service so you need an ASIC and maintain a good listening watch. Langwell Station homestead and airstrip is about 50 NM south and you can't miss it for all the old vehicles, tanks, tractors and GKWE sitting there in the station tip. I bogged the Auster in the red sand there!

http://www.popularaviation.com/photoGallery/6902.jpg

Kaz

PM me if you like and I will give u all the local goss . We love visitors at our aero club and even have very cheap affordable accommodation

• Like 1

Stayed at the aeroclub accomodation a few months ago when I was passing through in the Xair. Great, cheap accomodation with the use of the clubhouse facilities. Taxi into town is the go, a little far to walk. Very friendly folk at the airport. Yes, you will need an ASIC. Fuel is available. Highly recommended place to visit.

Stayed at the aeroclub accomodation a few months ago when I was passing through in the Xair. Great, cheap accomodation with the use of the clubhouse facilities. Taxi into town is the go, a little far to walk. Very friendly folk at the airport. Yes, you will need an ASIC. Fuel is available. Highly recommended place to visit.

Robinsm. Thanks for the recommendation . We do try , and we really do welcome all visitors .

BPN

Secretary

Aero club of Broken Hill

Guest Howard Hughes

Whatever you do have a steak at the restaurant that sits atop the slag heap!

Best steak I have ever had, bar none!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

In the old days I used the NDB but when I flew back from Bundy via Broken Hill in my Jab, I just used a GPS. I figured if that failed, just follow the ranges down. Going via Renmark might seem a long way but it only adds about 20 minutes flying time (ignoring anytime on the ground at Renmark) 210nm Gawler to Broken Hill, 235nm via Renmark. Between Morgan and BH it is pretty remote and barren, littered with the bleached white bones of aviators who were not prepared.

The country is rough, with a lot of scrub, but there are smooth claypans and Station airstrips.

The biggest issue in that country is the need for a lot of water on board. If you get the aircraft down, and it's all quiet except the "tinking" as the engine cools, the magnitude of the place strikes you. Survival rate on foot is not high, best to stay with the aircraft for shade and water, as we saw with the recent Mootwingee fatality (about 80 km NE of Broken Hill.

For a first trip, following the wide highway sounds good.

The local ultralight people have their own strip some miles to the north of Broken hill at Stephens creek (I think thats it). You wont need an ASIOC there and see if one of the members can run you into the Hill from there.

Morning J170. looking at OzRunways it looks like real tiger country from Renmark to Broken Hill. Did you stop in at the hill and did you have an ASIC card. can't see me getting one between now and January.

Yes, Darryl and I stopped for fuel, coffee and donuts. Spent about an hour there and no ASIC. Didn't seem to have any need as the gates were not locked. The ASIC is a complete joke, but I won't go into the details...

• Like 1

Been a few times to Broken Hill, Great aero club, couple of dongas for cheap accommodation and comfortable, pizza shop delivers to aero club too, don't worry too much about asic as if you can make contact with someone there they can get you on the field if they have one, there was a guy who worked in the maintenance shop next to aero club and he sorted the aero club accommodation for us, great bunch of friendly people there. Practice x-wind landings, they get some good wind there, years ago I encountered a real strong wind that I will remember for life, the flying doctor was on the ground and I asked for the most suitable runway and he said it was between both, he said " what are you in ? " I said " a Cessna 172 " he said " good luck " , it was a little more than luck how I landed but I can assure you I rate every x-wind against that one and I may never fly in that condition again. Take water and food as there is a lot of nothing on the way. One trip to Broken Hill for a week and two trips have been returning from WA and departed Port Augusta for Broken Hill and then to the East Coast.

Encountered over 20 knot x-wind at Port Augusta and that was very easy and not really worth mentioning compared to what was at Broken Hill.

If your into art or something special go see the LD Man, ask someone there where it is (or google it) and fly over at around 3500 ft, you will like it. Good Luck !

Interesting, how did you go finding MoGas from goulburn to broken hill? Do many of the aerodromes have mogas or did you find another way?

I am lucky that I can use either mogas or avgas in the 582. I used an aerorefuellers card at Temora for avgas, I walked into town with a jerrycan on a small trolley that I carry in Ivanhoe and refuelled at the local gas station. (its only a 20min walk into tpwn at Ivanhoe)., and used avgas from the bowser at broken hill. I have a full set of carnet cards I carry with me. I landed at packsaddle and topped up from the mogas pump at the roadhouse and refuelled with mogas at cameron corner. Still able to taxi up to the bowser there as well. Same in reverse. (griffith takes a carnet card as well).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hoping to fly to Broken Hill now at Easter. Fly up Friday and stay for the weekend. I will only go if the weather is looking good. Still a lot of learning needed on my part yet.

Shouldn't you be going to Temora for NatFly and attendant entertainment? augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Hoping to fly to Broken Hill now at Easter. Fly up Friday and stay for the weekend. I will only go if the weather is looking good. Still a lot of learning needed on my part yet.

Circle the airfield as usual before landing, pick out the windsock, read the large plastic sign alongside which will probably say......

All gone to Natfly, help yourself to coffee in the Club Room. See you next time. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif.

Alan.