Constructing a grass strip

biggles5128

I have decided to put a strip on the farm at home. As can been seen from the photo, the area is basically level , however as this paddock has been previously ploughed and then seeded and returned to pasture there is small hips and hollows down the selected site. I have considered running the grader down the strip to just take off the high spots, another thought would be to either plough over and over or rotory hoe then drag smooth with mesh or similar.

Clearly I need the grass to grow back quickly and thick. Has anyone faced a similar situation and if so, what did you do and what was the end result??

IMG_0972.JPG.99521b52b685a9e79db8f4be9785caef.JPG

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have decided to put a strip on the farm at home. As can been seen from the photo, the area is basically level , however as this paddock has been previously ploughed and then seeded and returned to pasture there is small hips and hollows down the selected site. I have considered running the grader down the strip to just take off the high spots, another thought would be to either plough over and over or rotory hoe then drag smooth with mesh or similar.Clearly I need the grass to grow back quickly and thick. Has anyone faced a similar situation and if so, what did you do and what was the end result??

I'm not sure if you're in a high rainfall area. But one way to promote thicker grass to cushion the landings is to use quite a bit of nitrogen-based fertiliser.

I have decided to put a strip on the farm at home. As can been seen from the photo, the area is basically level , however as this paddock has been previously ploughed and then seeded and returned to pasture there is small hips and hollows down the selected site. I have considered running the grader down the strip to just take off the high spots, another thought would be to either plough over and over or rotory hoe then drag smooth with mesh or similar.Clearly I need the grass to grow back quickly and thick. Has anyone faced a similar situation and if so, what did you do and what was the end result??

Just looking at your picture first thought would to run a grader blade to level off as much as possible in doing that I would put a slight fall on both sides for water run off. See what grass grows back you might have to sow some grass seed in places, but from your picture it looks like you have a good growth happening in your soil.

Cheers

Thanks for the replys, yes we are in a pretty good rainfall district, generally drought proof most of the time. My first thoughts were to run the grader over it which seems to be by the posts a good idea, I just wanted to make the right choice and be educated by others experience. I think that getting the grass to grow back may not be much of a issue, with good seed and fertiliser and allow the sheep to graze on it to ease the cost of mowing. (The cattle are a bit heavy footed and could bugger the strip when wet). 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif Cheers to all.

Thanks for the replys, yes we are in a pretty good rainfall district, generally drought proof most of the time. My first thoughts were to run the grader over it which seems to be by the posts a good idea, I just wanted to make the right choice and be educated by others experience. I think that getting the grass to grow back may not be much of a issue, with good seed and fertiliser and allow the sheep to graze on it to ease the cost of mowing. (The cattle are a bit heavy footed and could bugger the strip when wet). 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif Cheers to all.

You are correct biggles, cattle are a problem so I will do the right thing and not land on your strip with my Guernsey Cow until you have a bitumen runway.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Alan.

• Like 2

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Depending neighbours that might complain (if you have any) your Airstrip could well be a "test plot of grass, rectangular"

Do nothing to the paddock, just get one of these.

1326096850_Bush_plane(Small).jpg.74fb8a0852f7010b035f3289e5163ef7.jpg

Kiwi.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Definately the best to grade it with a slight fall off to the sides. Then tow a sheet of mesh behind a car to level and pick up any small sticks.

I then seeded mine with a 40 to 1 mixture of Siberian Millett and Couch seed.

Strip1.jpg.f8f8cbf2f41a0be67e8052bc593468b6.jpg

Strip2.jpg.7e2cdb4c8acd2a28128f41600622c013.jpg

Strip2a.jpg.c4e7fb3a6f4cb983604a818671a89d5f.jpg

Strip3IMG.JPG.17c1e4201f4eebb391862717a3261668.JPG

• Like 5

Definately the best to grade it with a slight fall off to the sides. Then tow a sheet of mesh behind a car to level and pick up any small sticks.I then seeded mine with a 40 to 1 mixture of Siberian Millett and Couch seed.

Very interesting flyhi, did you have to install any drainaige in the channels which were created on both sides ?

Very interesting flyhi, did you have to install any drainaige in the channels which were created on both sides ?.

No it just drains away naturally. I have taken off one morning after 50mm of rain overnight in a GA aircraft. (AA5B)

• Like 1

Flyhi, your strip is a credit to you, appreciate the pics, it seems that this is the way to go. I would like to put C172 tyres on the J however this is not possible under the rules, at least in Australia. If I can obtain the same result as Flyhi I will be more than happy.

I've been looking into this for some land I own outside of Goulburn.

I'd reckon a good moderate grading for a ploughed field would do it, and then plant some hardy grass such as Buffalo... or that matted kinda broadleaf stuff they use on sports ovals thats tough as hell and drought resistant.

If you can talk to a local landscaper they would be able to give you a good idea. Essentially you're after a sportsfield surface.

Personally, I love those big tyred hoon mobiles that seem so popular in Northern America. Would love to do an RAA version!

Cheers - boingk

As someone with no experience of earthworking, could one of you explain what is involved in 'grading' a field ?

Does this require serious earthmoving machinery, or is it something your local farmer could do with his tractor and some attachments ?

I live in a rural area, so there are plenty of farmers around, but before I ask them to do anything, I'd like to know what's involved.

Thansk.

If you can establish grass all over that will be a good thing. Obviously you have to mow it. If the grass wears away in some areas you will get extra erosion there and will have to repair the low parts. I had a grader (tractor towed) on my vineyard and it really levelled the surface well. Do it after rain. Lethbridge has grass strips. I think they topdress the surface. Nev

Gentreu - Basically you get a big thing with a tilteds blade on it, a bit like a large razorblade for the ground - and tow it over the ground you need graded with a tractor. It levels out imperfections and provdies a nice even surface to work with.

Cheers - boingk

I've recently gone though this process and l think what you need to do depends on what you want to fly. l fly tail wheel and did no grading or drainage or sewing. l just moved a fence, dug a few rocks out and slashed the grass. but by all means the more you improve it the better.

As someone with no experience of earthworking, could one of you explain what is involved in 'grading' a field ?Does this require serious earthmoving machinery, or is it something your local farmer could do with his tractor and some attachments ?

I live in a rural area, so there are plenty of farmers around, but before I ask them to do anything, I'd like to know what's involved.

Thansk.

A grader will do a better job than say a blade behind a tractor or a dozer because the blade sits midship between front and rear wheels which are further apart than a tractor thus ironing out more of the ups and downs... at least thats my experience anyways.

I've recently gone though this process and l think what you need to do depends on what you want to fly. l fly tail wheel and did no grading or drainage or sewing. l just moved a fence, dug a few rocks out and slashed the grass. but by all means the more you improve it the better.

Will be operating tri gear out of there, mainly the Jab 230.