Flew my first SOLO today

Just want to say a big thank you to all at Jaspers Brush Airfield and the South Coast Recreational Flying Club for making my lifelong dream become a reality and getting closer to that certificate!

It would be difficult to be in better company.

• Like 9

Not much to say other than the time just flew past me. Seriously, circuit felt 20 times faster :)

Had a little bounce on my first attempt and I initiated a go-around just to calm the nerves.

2nd attempt was great with "3 touch and goes in 2 seconds" (quoting Motzartmerv here) and made a decent full stop landing.

Still grinning, baking, and smiling at the moment :)

I have the next 10 days available for flying so should be able to get my certificate soon.

• Like 7

Guest Maj Millard

Hey you just have to love an instructor who's turning out compenent, and happy new pilots !.... our sports' future depends on it .........................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

If the plane went 20 times faster with Motz out of it, he doesn't need any more cake. It only goes twice as fast when I get out. Doing a go round is a good trick. I did that on mine. Probably the hardest manoeuvre of the circuit. The Chipmunk flared totally differently with no-one in the back seat. Quite a lot of trim difference and it caught me ( we always did three pointers cause they are sort of easier.) Again don't tell anyone that and you can make out that you are a gifted pilot , later on, when you fly a taildragger. Yeee Haaa. Nev

• Like 1

I can't claim this one. One of my senior instructors has had rocketing from the beginning. I just watch ;) ... He comes from a strong aviation background so it's good to see he is sticking with it despite many setbacks... Today for example there was a fatal road accident right at the turnoff to our field. The road has been closed all day. While its a setback to us we have to remember that 2 families lives are ruined. Is a reminder for us all to be careful over the holidays, even on the drive to the airfield which is statistically far more dangerous than the flying.

Cheers and be safe:)

• Like 4

Well, Motz is the CFI and Super King Air (SI) is my instructor who took me all the way from my TIF in October to my solo. (With Motz lurking in the background)

Nope, I would have bounced even if Motz trained me all the way. bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gif The nerves had a big part in that go-around decision and you need to be ready to focus on anything unforeseen. It just felt the safest thing to do then.

I can't argue with Your decision since I have admitted to doing the same thing. If you have any doubts as to the safety of the arival go around and try for a better one. Sounds like you are going fine, Rocket thing. Nev

Guest aussieaviatrix

Congratulations!! isn't it just the best feeling??? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Yeah, I was taught never to be ashamed of going around -- if it doesn't feel right, there is no reason why you HAVE to put the plane on the ground......so good on ya :)