Plane crash Fraser Coast RIP

Guest bluespot

OK just informed of the following:

Power lines run east west pilot approached from south heading to strip. People standing under power lines as aircraft approached hit some turbulance and sink. This dropped him into the power lines. Aircraft 'tripped' up when the gear hooked the lines. It took some effort before they parted and the aircraft slammed into the ground several hundred meters further along.

Looks like the aircraft was his C182A that has been converted to a taildragger. Powerlines hooked main gear.

We will leave the rest to the investigation.

According to the Perth Now report he was conducting a low pass over the Christmas Party group and giving them a wave before landing, and mustn't have seen the powerlines.

I was out that way today, and asked at the scene where the power lines were and what had happened to cause the crash. I was told the same thing, except there was no intention of landing at the time. The runway was much further down the road. This was a low pass with a wing wave, resulting in heavy powerline contact shearing off a wing resulting in an immediate left turn and into the paddock across the road from the Flame Lily site. The gusty wind may also have had something to do with it. Powerline arching and spilling fuel would have started the fire.

That's how it all currently appears to be now anyway. The power lines were the standard 7-10m height, so a very low pass.

• 1 year later...

ATSB final report released:

What happened

On 17 December 2012, a Cessna 182A aircraft registered VH-SGB, impacted with electrical powerlines that ran alongside a parachute drop zone at Burrum River, Queensland. The pilot was planning to attend a Christmas function at the drop zone and was flying to an airstrip located about 1.5 km to the north. After contacting the powerlines, the aircraft was seen to climb and continue to fly for approximately 500m before the right wing separated from the aircraft. The aircraft subsequently impacted the ground and the pilot was fatally injured.

Safety message

A minimum height of 500 ft AGL for flight over non-populated areas is promulgated for very long standing safety reasons. Pilots who choose to fly below this height without an operational reason to do so are exposing themselves, and any passengers that may be on board, to an increased risk of striking powerlines, many of which are difficult to see from the cockpit of an aircraft in flight. The circumstances of this accident highlight that risk.

http://www.atsb.com.au/publications/investigation_reports/2012/aair/ao-2012-170.aspx

Open the pdf file to read the full report.

• Like 1

.........and power line grids in country areas have increased exponentially since the 1970's. Around the populated districts you can virtually count on a powerline somewhere across every property, most of them near invisible single wire lines, as state power companies have managed to service virtually every country house, and often surrounding sheds which can be half a kilometre away.

• Agree 2

.........and power line grids in country areas have increased exponentially since the 1970's. Around the populated districts you can virtually count on a powerline somewhere across every property, most of them near invisible single wire lines, as state power companies have managed to service virtually every country house, and often surrounding sheds which can be half a kilometre away.

True, Turbs. This seems to be one of our biggest hazards. We can't fix human nature, but maybe technology can help keep us out of trouble. Surely some bright spark can come up with an ap. that detects the EMF from powerlines.

• Caution 3

Near 'invisible' is correct. The 1st line of defence defence you have with powerlines is to make a 360 overhead - at relatively slow speed - (C182 - 75-80kts) - never below 300ft - and look for poles, pole shadows, light reflection off wires, stays off posts, pumps on/in dams or creeks, and gaps in treelines. Often, you'll only see wires for about 30 degrees of the 360 - when the light is just right. When you do a low level endo it's one of the major awareness subjects.

happy days,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Nor have I, this guy was killed by power lines at 29'6"

Going into private strips can be a hazard ,( even when your not doing a beat up) a mate took me up on a hill near his place just after I flew in to show me the pwr lines, I was well above them but due to the terrain I fly a pretty tight 500ft circuit and the valley was just next to his strip, thing is even parked in his ute looking right at the lines you could hardly see them ,too hit them you would've been ridiculously low , but not if doing beat ups was your thing!

I knew this guy , very sad but it brings it home that pilots rarely get hurt while doing the right thing, mistakes happen ,but often it's behaving badly when things go wrong

Matty

• Agree 3

Going into private strips can be a hazard ,( even when your not doing a beat up) a mate took me up on a hill near his place just after I flew in to show me the pwr lines, I was well above them but due to the terrain I fly a pretty tight 500ft circuit and the valley was just next to his strip, thing is even parked in his ute looking right at the lines you could hardly see them ,too hit them you would've been ridiculously low , but not if doing beat ups was your thing!I knew this guy , very sad but it brings it home that pilots rarely get hurt while doing the right thing, mistakes happen ,but often it's behaving badly when things go wrong

Matty

You'd be surprised at the number of pilots undergoing a BFR who dive straight down to 50ft agl for a 'strip inspection' of a paddock when asked to perform a precautionary search and landing. No overhead 360 at 300ft to checkout the possibility of powerlines - just down we go and across that paddock as fast and low as they can manage! I wonder where on this earth they learnt that, because it's a surefire way to end ones' career. happy days,

• Agree 6