Technology leaving me behind

gooneybird

They are a great asset to have I use Mine in the car. Plane motor bike do every thing from banking to eBay navigation is spot on oz runway is great just play with it and u fine it is easy to use once u download it all u need is subscription U have access to every thing to back up your flight bag ! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

They are a great asset to have I use Mine in the car. Plane motor bike do every thing from banking to eBay navigation is spot on oz runway is great just play with it and u fine it is easy to use once u download it all u need is subscription U have access to every thing to back up your flight bag ! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

one thing about the ipad compared to the older gps is the screen size and clarity. A 3x2 inch screen [grey scale] in the dazzleing sunshine,very hard

It can be 3G and still need an external GPS. They have to have cellular to have a GPS. I have just bought a Bad Elf GPS 2200 With Bluetooth to remotely connect to my WiFi only IPad with Oz Runways so I can put the GPS in the best position for reception in the cabin. - It runs really well!.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

thanks guys for the feedback. My Ipad doesn't have next G as I use wifi at the house so I guess I need to get a simcard. Interesting Bob Biggles hasn't used external gps even in remote areas.

The bad elf gps and garmin glo both read well, but I guess thats business. Does the 3G Ipad get both the usa and russian sats (not dead sure of my facts there)

thanks guys for the feedback. Does the 3G Ipad get both the usa and russian sats (not dead sure of my facts there)

GB

I have an IPad2 and believe it utilises the satellites owned by the USA (GPS ). I also believe the the IPad mini and the IPad Retina Display utilise both GPS and GLONASS , which should give a faster and more accurate fix .

Bob

Biggles,

Flying to Natfly last year we were in friends Sportstar using his IPad on my lap it lost signal a couple of times along the way so I thought it would be an asset when I got mine.

Hongie,

I may be misinformed but my info is WiFi only is just that. If you can install a SIM card you have cellular software which includes a GPS. Tell me if you think I am wrong and then tell me why I cannot get my WiFi only Ipad ( it is supposed to be 3G/4G capable)to work without the external GPS. by the way it has nowhere to install a SIM card.

P.S. all input is welcome!!.

Gooneybird, you may indeed have a 3G iPad, and if you do, you do not need a sim card installed to use gps.

I spose the easiest way to tell would be to look at the side of the unit opposite to your volume controls and see if there is a sim card tray.

• Like 1

Biggles,Flying to Natfly last year we were in friends Sportstar using his IPad on my lap it lost signal a couple of times along the way so I thought it would be an asset when I got mine.!.

Bill ,

If your IPad is only 'WiFi ' it does not have a GPS and will require an external GPS to work with OzRunways .If you get a 'WiFi 3G ' IPad , it will have inbuilt GPS technology , as well a cellular system . If you activate the cellular system by buying a SIM card , eg .Telstra shop , you will be able to access the Internet etc. , and this activated 3G network will give you a faster more accurate fix , it "assists" the GPS . You may also have heard the term " triangulation " , well this is what the 3G network does to get that faster more accurate fix . An IPad 2 has "assisted GPS" and this essentially means that the GPS is "assisted "by the 3G signal. I cannot comment on your friends "lost signal" but there are many on the Forums that have , and are happy with , their " WiFi only" IPads , using an external GPS . Hope this helps .

Bob

• Like 1

Biggles,Flying to Natfly last year we were in friends Sportstar using his IPad on my lap it lost signal a couple of times along the way so I thought it would be an asset when I got mine.

Hongie,

I may be misinformed but my info is WiFi only is just that. If you can install a SIM card you have cellular software which includes a GPS. Tell me if you think I am wrong and then tell me why I cannot get my WiFi only Ipad ( it is supposed to be 3G/4G capable)to work without the external GPS. by the way it has nowhere to install a SIM card.

P.S. all input is welcome!!.

just seen the bit addressed to me sorry lol.

I was only referring to the bit where you said you can have a 3g but still need a external gps reciever.

Bob, to be clear the IPad used on the Natfly trip was 3G with cellular (not mine) and didn't have an external GPS. That's why I bought the Bad Elf for mine.

Bill ,

Just a quick response as I am in the departure lounge in Tulla. Are you saying that the 3G network was "active" ie." in service" . If so then I am surprised as I fly that area often .Maybe some of the "real tech savvy " boys can comment . The only other thing I can think of, is that the signal may have been shielded .I think the Sportstar is a metal a/c

Bob

Geeez mate,. . . . ( do people still SAY that ??? )

It must be GREAT to have technology to fly around OZ nowadays. . . . I remember flying down from Moresby via Darwin to Alice, (incl. a few odd fuel stops enroute. . .) with nothing but wac / vec / vtcs and hoping the forecast winds were not too far out. . . an RNC might have been handy, but if your onboard navaids were either not working, ( regular occurence with old, knackered fifth hand machines. . . ) or not fitted at all. . . than it was a bit academic. . . . . on a few similar occasions I MAY have even prayed to God that I'd give up women AND BEER, for some accurate Dick Tracy pocket navigation gizmo which hadn't been invented yet. . . . Got to be honest Gooney, It leaves me behind as well. . . . . .

(Digitally Illiterate )

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I cannot understand how anyone flying from Darwin to Alice without Navs can get lost.....I mean would anyone follow anything other than the main road? I mean there are a few bends and curves, but for the most parts not enough to introduce enormous extra distances..... its the +/- 230kmph vs the 100kmph taht makes all the difference...

When I purchased my J230 it was in Tully FNQ and home was Adelaide, I pretty much went direct and have to say that was as a result of naeivity at the time.....there really isnt that much down there to navigate to and from once you get away from major roads and railways..there are rivers, but the differences between dry and wet are vast to the point I wouldnt want to rely on them cause the WAC's only show them as they were at the time the mapping was done.....

EPIRB (with GPS), and SPoT and a Good Telstra 3G/4G phone is essential. Out that way other brands of carrier for the phone ensures that what you have is a FUED not an OMG moment phone (F&Kn Useless Electronic Device).

Andy

yeah that's it. Around the julia creek and Richmond areas also there aren't the rivers etc to crosscheck with the wac. But as you say to navigate from town to town generally it comes down to roads and railway lines, of course they are about as direct as can be in the large open flat and arid zones. thank heavens for gps I can't even find my prayer wheel but I still love maps. Telstra is the only carrier out here, people don't get that.

I cannot understand how anyone flying from Darwin to Alice without Navs can get lost.....I mean would anyone follow anything other than the main road? I mean there are a few bends and curves, but for the most parts not enough to introduce enormous extra distances..... its the +/- 230kmph vs the 100kmph taht makes all the difference...When I purchased my J230 it was in Tully FNQ and home was Adelaide, I pretty much went direct and have to say that was as a result of naeivity at the time.....there really isnt that much down there to navigate to and from once you get away from major roads and railways..there are rivers, but the differences between dry and wet are vast to the point I wouldnt want to rely on them cause the WAC's only show them as they were at the time the mapping was done.....

EPIRB (with GPS), and SPoT and a Good Telstra 3G/4G phone is essential. Out that way other brands of carrier for the phone ensures that what you have is a FUED not an OMG moment phone (F&Kn Useless Electronic Device).

Andy

Andy,. . . . . . I can get lost ANYWHERE ! anyway, I found that a trusty HF radio was really useful, It would'nt help to find where you were in the unforecast duststorm, , but you could at least have a good whinge to other pilots and groundies on the wireless and make yourself feel better. ( My longest ferry job was Ipoh to Archerfield with limited naviad assistance but it was fun, and at the age of 24.5 some people can develop the mistaken idea that they are invulnerable. . . ! )

• Like 1

Gooneybird

Re JuliaCk and RMD - What is wrong with Flinders Rv, O'Connell Ck, Alick Ck, Boundary Ck and all the homesteads

No argument a GPS takes the work out of navigating but there is still of plenty of information to navigate by without one.

Frank

Guest Andys@coffs

nope. NMEA is a foreign concept to apple, if it exists it sure wont be exposed at the user layer lest all the illiterates that somehow falsely think apple will cater to them where other os writers accept that some users are capable of understanding......

so you still need a NMEA capable Garmin or aviation specific GPS fitted as well. I do this and consider the iPadthe backup when in the air

andy