Ballistic Parachute systems

I agree. I have gone off rear engined planes a bit lately. Not completely, but it doesn't feature in my design parameters so much. talking props mostly, which get upset by bits going through them. Nev

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah sapphires are pretty and nothing is 100% safe. I've never been inclined to be an aeroplane leaver. I would stay with one that still flys unless it was alight. I've dropped plenty of umbrella types but between you and me I always thought they were a bit "different" you know, sort of er... Nev

I emailed these guys the largest they do is 500kg they are working on a larger version for LSA but still a ways off

Hi Mark: I am sorry to report that our largest parachute is for a 500 kg payload. Larger systems won't come on line until next year.

Thanks for your interest, and please keep in touch!

John Dunham, Manager

Second Chantz, LLC

775 315 0133

I emailed these guys the largest they do is 500kg they are working on a larger version for LSA but still a ways off

Hi Mark: I am sorry to report that our largest parachute is for a 500 kg payload. Larger systems won't come on line until next year.

John Dunham, Manager

Second Chantz, LLC

775 315 0133

Hey Mark,

Maybe worth looking at next year then, be great for my X-Air weight wise but not having a 600+ type just yet looks like you will have to wait :)

you might have to rig up a Simjet instead of the rocket ones lol

You still flying ya turbine Jets?????

Pete

Hi pete

Actually I havent flown any turbines or any models for about 18 months due to building the Sav but starting to get it all together again. There is a big event up here in about 2 weeks and I am supplying the jetA for the demos Ali machinchy is coming to do some demos and O'reilly is supplying the aircraft so I am supplying the fuel as a favour to Mike. I have quite a bit of jetA here I supply all my mates I collect all the dregs from tanks from heli's that they drain and are not allowed to put back in and they have to pay to dump so they like it when I turn up and bum all the JetA. I usually have 3 or 4 205 litre drums here at any one stage. The fuel isnt the issue it is the oil that is the costly stuff as you know.

I will probably get the magnum chute as I have fitted all the gear from ICP into the Sav and it is setup for the Magnum anyway just got to come up with the 5 grand thats all

Mark

Hi peteThere is a big event up here in about 2 weeks and I am supplying the jetA for the demos Ali machinchy is coming to do some demos and O'reilly is supplying the aircraft so I am supplying the fuel as a favour to Mike.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am competing at that event, I will be flying an 84 inch span P-47 Thunderbolt that weighs 13 kg & is electric powered. Come & say Hi when you are there.

To not be totally off topic my P-47 is not BRS equipped.

Cheers

Mick

John Dunham, Manager

Second Chantz, LLC

775 315 0133

Have you looked to see if you can get a MVEN chute. They offer them already for higher weights and speeds and they are also fired by comressed air.

The french distributor has this table which lists the model K600 is good for a MTOW of 600kg, at speeds up to 360kmh, weighs 15kg and will bring you to the ground at 7.3m/s

http://www.air-occitanie.com/parachutes_143.htm

Hi Mick

I hope to get there for a look thats for sure will get a lift with someone going down. I want to see Ali fly I also heard they wont let the big Catalina fly aparaently CASA want something like 3 grand to allow it to fly. I will come and say hi for sure. Will you be there for the 4 days?

and it doesn't have a BRS to keep on topic

Regarding BRS. Isn"t it just like all the other "safety systems" in vehicles these days, whether they be airborne or not. Between driver and passenger airbags, seatbelts, abs, ebs, stability control, collision avoidance systems. If you have the right training and have your mind on the job, you "should" never need these things. However, if the unforseen, unavoidable, or "some other idiot" causes an incident, you might just be in a situation where it comes in handy!

FL

• Agree 1

Regarding BRS. Isn"t it just like all the other "safety systems" in vehicles these days, whether they be airborne or not. Between driver and passenger airbags, seatbelts, abs, ebs, stability control, collision avoidance systems. If you have the right training and have your mind on the job, you "should" never need these things. However, if the unforseen, unavoidable, or "some other idiot" causes an incident, you might just be in a situation where it comes in handy!FL

I'd say it's more like putting a roll cage and racing bucket seats in your family car.

Most recreational planes are already designed to be operated on the edge of their performance envelope.

For example if I put 2 people with the max allowable weight in my trike (100kg per seat), I can't fill it up with fuel to full, or I'll be over MTOW.

Even if the regulations allow a higher MTOW with a BRS it doesn't mean that the airframe is designed to those higher loads.

Sure if I could I'd load up my trike (or in other people's cases planes) with parachutes for both the airframe and people on board, a life raft, camping and survivalist equipment, ejection seats and maybe even that rocket winch that they've used on Mars to land the latest rover, but that would mean I'd have to buy a Hercules or something like this.

You have to remember we've all made a choice to go into recreational and inexpensive flying and that means some compromises and some risks.

Most impacts with the ground are fatal, where as most car accidents are not.

Well, I'm not saying to not get to one, just that it's a choice of sacrificing some of your aircraft performance and quite a bit of money to get that extra safety.

As I've said, we've all made the choice of going the inexpensive way of flying, which comes with some risks.

If you've got enough money you may start looking at mitigating some of those risks.

That may start at installing a better and more expensive engine than a 582 or a jabiru, adding a BRS, switching to GA twin engine planes all the way to getting a military jet with an airframe that can hold a tank on top of it, like this:

Hi peteActually I havent flown any turbines or any models for about 18 months due to building the Sav but starting to get it all together again. There is a big event up here in about 2 weeks and I am supplying the jetA for the demos Ali machinchy is coming to do some demos and O'reilly is supplying the aircraft so I am supplying the fuel as a favour to Mike. I have quite a bit of jetA here I supply all my mates I collect all the dregs from tanks from heli's that they drain and are not allowed to put back in and they have to pay to dump so they like it when I turn up and bum all the JetA. I usually have 3 or 4 205 litre drums here at any one stage. The fuel isnt the issue it is the oil that is the costly stuff as you know.

I will probably get the magnum chute as I have fitted all the gear from ICP into the Sav and it is setup for the Magnum anyway just got to come up with the 5 grand thats all

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yeah same here, I almost finished a X-Air project which has slowed my Jet flying a but too, still get my P80 powered Kangaroo out when the weather is good and having our own strip its smoother than our local club field..... sounds like a great event going to be there.. Ali should put on a great display with what ever he gets to fly, I think he has flown almost every model made lol

nice for you to have so much JetA locally, yeah I usally get the Oil in boxes which is out of date for full size use but works great in our model Turbines.... ends up about $10 a can last box I got...

Pete