Water landing - you're doing it wrong...

Guest pookemon

Guest Maj Millard

This is a water-landing !!.....there are generally at least three checks, checklist, visual on u/c lights, and visual with gear in wing-mounted mirror/s..................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

There are some spectacular videos on U tube of wheels down landings on float planes.

There is a good video showing a seamax landing on water with the gear down.(On purpose) to show that, that particular a/c can land wheels down in the water & she can handle it.Without flipping over or doing any a/c damage.

News reports seem to indicate that the flight was landing to pick up Bam Margera (jackass show member), it doesnt appear as if any of them were already on board. I highly doubt it was done on purpose though.

There are some spectacular videos on U tube of wheels down landings on float planes.

bloody speculation:angry:068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif068_angry.gif.e6e3bad802304927655e1c48b61088cd.gif by some as to wheels down landing on water as david pointed look at some of the vids

it has not been established that the wheels were down

my opion who is the clown that gives an acount of what happened in one of the news interveiws

my opion there several types off mecanisme to lower the wheels on floats witch one was used on this aircraft neil

Guest Maj Millard

Storchy, trust me, the wheels were down. I know the owners son who flys for us here in the Whitsundays.......................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

David has carefully said the wheels were extended, ( which clearly shows in the photo) One might argue that when the plane is inverted the wheels are "up", as in sticking up for all to see. Glad they all got out. Sometimes you have to wait for the cabin to fill to open the doors in a plane like a Cessna, as the pressure of the water will prevent it... Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Storchy, I work on amphib equiped floatplanes such as the Beaver and Cessna caravan, and have done for some years. I must admit to being more familiar with them than I would like to be !!....Except on a rare occasion, if a pilot lands on water with the wheels down (instead of up) it will flip, and end up on it's back. It is just one of lifes' certainties I'm afraid.

One floatplane pilot years ago, upon feeling the mains enter the water (gear down) applied full power and just managed to drag them out again, fortunatly for him the nose legs hadn't entered the water. You'd have to be quick, it is the extended nose gear that drags the nose into the water, and causes the aircraft to flip over onto it's back.

The mechanism for raising or lowering the wheels is usually hydrylic, driven by an aircraft-mounted electro/hydrylic power-pack. There is a positive up-lock, and down-lock latching mechanism on the gear, with a series of indicator lights to indicate if the gear is up (blue lights) or down, (orange lights) or in transit somewhere in between(red lights). There is also a hydrylic pressure guage that shows the system is well, and pressurized (around 800-1000 PSI typically) on the panel for the pilot.

There are usually dual-hydrylic powerpacks for redundancy, should one die. On top of all that, there are wing mounted mirrors so the pilot can visually check if the gear is up, or down.

To land thinking the gear is up, while it is partially down, would be to ignore the above. If that were the case he would have low pressure on the guage, red in-transit lights when he should have blue, and an unsafe gear visual indication in the mirrors. Because of the importance of Amphibious gear, and the potential for disaster if it fails, it is usually kept in pretty good safe working condition, in my experience..

If for instance a hyd line leaked in flight, and lost all the systems fluid, the gear would still stay firmly locked up, as it requires hydrylic pressure to unlock it !..The pilot would then land on water, put up on a lovely tropical beach somewhere, and give the mechanics a nice little picnic away from the hangar !!.................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

put up on a lovely tropical beach somewhere, and give the mechanics a nice little picnic away from the hangar !!.................................................

maj the way my luck is going please dont in vite me as you may end up at the seruage farm eaten a live by mossis:augie: neil

• Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard

Don't worry Neil, we see our share of mossies occasionally, especially this time of the year !.....................Maj...075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif