How much fun is this!?

2tonne

Hi all,

I am new to this. I have had two TIFs - 1 in a Cessna 172 at Essendon and the second in a Jabiru 160 out of Lilydale. Both flights were great and I am hooked.

Tough choice but have decided to keep going with the Jabiru at Lilydale. Something about flying out of a grass strip around the Yarra Valley is pretty appealing. Back for my first real lesson soon - can't wait.

2t

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Hi daddy-jake, I will keep you posted on how things go. I hadn't even heard of a recreactional pilot certificate until a couple of months ago - glad I discovered it though.

• 2 weeks later...

My first 'real' lesson today, but think I may have discovered one of the frustrations of learning to fly - clouds below 1000 ft and raining. So, no flying. Did do a full walkaround pre-flight testing fuel etc and some more cockpit familiarisation, so was still very interesting.

• Like 3

Shame about the weather, but great you did the familiarisation and pre-flight checks. Im learning like yourself, but can definitely see why the stuff you do on the ground is so vital to make sure you get off the ground safely. Wish you all the best with it!

*sigh* another tragic. Didn't anyone warn you how addictive flying is? Next you'll be wanting your own airplane. Then it degenerates to wanting an runway on a property or a house at an airpark. STOP, get out while you still can!

take my advice, I'm a stage 2 addict.

BTW, don't tell your friends how much fun it is, they'll think you're mad...and tell you so, repeatedly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Shame about the weather, but great you did the familiarisation and pre-flight checks. Im learning like yourself, but can definitely see why the stuff you do on the ground is so vital to make sure you get off the ground safely. Wish you all the best with it!

Even more important, the stuff you do on the ground will be equally vital to get you back onto the ground safely, even though taking off is exciting, landing is very gratifying too.

Yep, at the moment I pretty much know nothing, so it is all a learning experience despite not getting into the air.

*sigh* another tragic. Didn't anyone warn you how addictive flying is? Next you'll be wanting your own airplane. Then it degenerates to wanting an runway on a property or a house at an airpark. STOP, get out while you still can!take my advice, I'm a stage 2 addict.

BTW, don't tell your friends how much fun it is, they'll think you're mad...and tell you so, repeatedly.

Scott, it's like you're reading my mind...thinking of which plane I would like to own, living closer to an airstrip...I can't stop - I'm already on the slippery slope to addiction

• Like 2

2tonne,

Welcome to our world my friend, you will now be looking up in the sky even when a plane isn't flying over, but when you hear one you will scan the sky wishing it was you.

As for GA/RAA, well the choice there my friend is yours, me I tried GA way back in the late 80's and didn't quite get there due to the recession we had to have.

Took up trike flying in 2004 until just recently and loved the 750+hrs I did in them, converted back to 3 axis a couple of years ago and haven't looked back, went into debt for a bit but hey this life isn't a practice run so gotta do what you want to this time over.

GA has it's pitfalls, cost per hr, medicals ect but has advantages being able to fly into controlled airspace and carry more mates.

RAA has the disadvantage of no controlled airspace & max of 2 POB but hiring is far cheaper and ownership of an aircraft that will burn less tha half the fuel of a standard GA aircraft at the same speed is well within the reaches if you want it enough.

Flying is all about discipline, you are only as good as how you behave, don't succumb to your mates wanting you to beat up over a mates place. sure it looks good when it all goes well but don't look good in the media when their is a accident

Happy for you to have joined the club of forever looking skyward it's hard to throw the hooks out once hooked.

Cheers

Alf

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Same, always wanted to be a pilot but discounted it always thinking it costs way too much. It's actually a rather affordable form of fun.

I will get my licence eventually.. :)

• Like 1

"How much fun is this"...............for the majority of us, it's not fun any more. RAA is costing itself out of existence just as GA has. Unless you're 'cashed up', it's rapidly become a thing of the past.

Good to hear , YLIL is a great field, bit crap when the rain sets in ,but I love flying in there, I'm based at YCEM but did a bit of training with the school there.

Have fun, and there's worse stuff to get addicted to!!

Hi all, am new to this. I have had two TIFs - 1 in a Cessna 172 at Essendon and the second in a Jabiru 160 out of Lilydale. Both flights were great and I am hooked.2t

G`Day 2t and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif. Have fun.

Frank.

Ps, Hey Daddy-jake, where you been hiding lately.

• 1 month later...

And the fun continues...first solo today!

Turned up at the airfield a little early so that I could sit the pre-solo exam. About 3 minutes later the exam was finished and I waited for my instructor. After four circuits with a normal landing, full-flap landing, glide approach and flapless landing we made a full stop. Then, it was a bit of a break before heading up with the CFI for a pre-solo check ride. The CFI was silent for almost the entire flight, which was a little disconcerting, but made good practice for the silence of the solo.

After three landings with the CFI, it was off for the solo circuit. Just as I was taxying for the runway, it started to get a little busy. There was a thumping yellow Antonov doing circuits, a Jabiru in front of me and two pipers behind. After having a good look down finals, I called entering and rolling. A second of two later I heard a call for late final! What the.. looked out to the side and saw a helicopter on final for the grassed helicopter landing area a couple of hundred metres away, so no conflict with my runway.

Got airborne in no time and seemed to be on final just a few moments later. Managed a semi-decent landing and pulled up out the front of the flight school grinning like an idiot. What a buzz! Still haven't come down from it yet.

• Like 2
  • Winner 3