Would a Recreational Certificate make it easy to get a PPL?

solomon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you find a school that won't accept your RAA time, post them here and shame the rotten sods! Flying is flying. Should an Airline pilot wanna-a-be shun them because they don't train to airline procedures on B737's NO, there are schools that will offer both, for example Adelaide Biplanes here in Adelaide offer both. They don't offer ATPL ( I don't think anyway ), the most important thing I believe with training, talk to them, be open and honest with them and make sure YOU get what you are paying for, and that's a great flying education and experience, don't take crappy attitudes and lazy slap happy flight instructors, you are spending a great deal of (presumably ) your money, so if you find they are not living up to their side of the bargain, go elsewhere, you may have to retrace some of your training so the new school knows where you are, but don't let tem bully you into staying if they are crap.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

yup, my school does somewhat of a parallel track so that everything i do towards my RAAus certificate is according to the Day VFR PPL syllabus. When I get my RAAus ticket plus pax and navs, that is more or less equal to having passed your GFPT and navs, so you should then just be able to slide over and get more hours on PPL instead of RA type and other PPL syllabus stuff and take the PPL test and Bob's your uncle! i'm in Sydney though, so not sure how much that will help. I think RVAC coldstream does the same thing, give them a ring?

Not all ga schools recognize ra time up here in qld in fact I think I have been given a caning because of my ra certificate in the past and walked away from my ppl training but with the ousting of all the old staff and the hiring of a whole new crew I am happy to say I am back at it and alls good

Guest Error404

There is no such thing as the school not accepting your time, it's not up to them, its a CASA thing. The best thing you can do is to arm yourself with the appropriate regulations and take it to the CFI.

Thankstheater roe error 404 I wasn't aware of that and I suppose I should have looked into it more but the whole flying staff seemed very clicky and if you were on the outside it was hard to get a look in but as I said new staff very happy now

There are two aspects:

1. The time per Reg 5.84

5.84 Private pilot (aeroplane) licence: aeronautical experience required(1)For the purposes of paragraph 5.77 (1) (f), a person’s aeronautical experience must consist of at least 40 hours of flight time as a pilot, being flight time that includes:

(a) at least 5 hours of general flight time as pilot in command; and

(b) at least 5 hours of cross‑country flight time as pilot in command; and

© at least 2 hours of instrument flight time.

(2)The 40 hours must be recognised flight time that was flown in a registered aeroplane, recognised aeroplane, helicopter, gyroplane, glider, power‑assisted sailplane or group A ultralight.

(evidence is required)2. Record of achievement of standard per para 16.9 of CASA's Flight Crew Licensing Manual at http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/manuals/regulate/fcl/010r1601.pdf

So, an applicant must rock up for the PPL test with this form all hunky dory http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/manuals/regulate/fcl/form1024.pdf

i.e.

All items must be demonstrated to standard 2 (PPLA standard). Each element must be certified as having been achieved at the specified standard by the instructor responsible for the assessment.

If you intend rocking up at a new flying school with previous experience have a good think how this form will be generated.
  • Agree 1

have you done your navs yet?... Dont forget to log the flight we did down to melbourne in the piper (i think)..

Yep i had that logged down that day we landed in the piper 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I'd finish building your plane before starting on a new project.

No, i'm not starting anything new, just wanted an idea before i finish high school.

A ga instructor who has not flown with you will want to see your ability in a ga aircraft for the ppl rather than just taking up from where your ra training finished. When i done it after i had my ra certificate i went to a ga school and i had to start right back from the beginning. so yes your hours count and when you fill in the form for the ppl test you can include all your ra hours it does not always mean that for every hour you did in an ultralight, thats an hour less you will do in the ga aircraft.

yep. it depends where you go. the best would be to find a school which does both ra and ga. there you would get the most credit for the ra hours you do with them.

i think i could have done the ppl first and then the 5 hr ra conversion in less total time than it took me to go the other way

Just wish our RAAus flying was recognised a little further afield.

I was hoping to go to the US and fly something to Oshkosh.

Oddly, I can buy a FAR 103 ultralight (about as useful as a 95:10) and fly it with no license, (and no luggage).

But as a 2600hr, Senior Ultralight Instructor, it would appear to have no help in getting to pilot an LSA class aircraft without a lot of additional time and cost, even to the 'Sport Pilot License' level...

Unless anyone knows any different?

I recently started my PPL at a new flying club after having approx 50 hours total in RA (three axis + nav). I passed the GFPT after 10 hours dual in a 152 (coming from a Tecnam), no additional solo time was required. I had to demonstrate all the required maneuvers, do 2 hours instrument time (1 hour real, 1 hour simulated) and spent one lesson doing stalls/spins in an Aerobat. I also did all the GA theory tests (pre-solo, pre-area solo, radio and BAK), which was not so difficult the second time around.

I'm hoping to start the navs soon, all going well I'm told it should just require a dual nav, solo nav then pre-test. This is for a PPL without CTA.

Just get all the paperwork started early!

Guest Error404

You don't have to re do all of you navs especially the solo ones as you have already done them! 180 miles with a couple of stops rings a bell, I think djp posted it recently. You could potentially get away with one nav if you are competent, followed by your flight test.

I've seen this question a lot and in my view it all depends on where you're heading with your flying.

If it's all just for recreational purposes and you see yourself flying any and all aircraft available then it doesn't matter at all in the long run which path you take. Just see your training as an integral part of your flying and find a school where you enjoy doing it. Don't get fixated on how much it might cost to get your licence as if you're doing it all for fun who really cares! The journey should be just as enjoyable as the destination.

If you're hoping to get into an airline seat then don't waste your time with RA or even small PPL schools. Go straight to the cadetship programs run by the airlines.

If you're looking at instructing in RA-Aus as a career then get your RA-Aus certificate and instructor rating and you're set.

If you're looking at GA instructing or general charter work, parachuting etc. then don't waste your time with RA hours as they will as a general rule be ignored entirely by future employers in this area.

Basic rule is to spend your time and money flying aircraft that are relevant to your future prospects.

• Agree 2

Volsky, I would disagree with alot of that. Employers dont overlook RAA time (in my experience) at all. Its all flying after all.. Most parachute operators don't require an AOC and therefor dont even require CPL holders to fly the aircraft, a ppl is sufficient for most.

Cadetships are one way in, but most pilots I know who went this way regret it terribly. And even some high ranking instructors in these operations have told me to tell kids to steer clear.

The fact is, RAA is a great way to get into flying. The only time it sint is if your on a 150 gst free CPL course and your RAA time can't be counted. In that respect sometimes its cheaper to ignore your RAA time and just go straight for the 150 hour course. If you are a low time RAA pilot then this would be the best option, IMHO

• Agree 4