Would a Recreational Certificate make it easy to get a PPL?

solomon

Guest Error404
operators don't require an AOC and therefor dont even require CPL holders to fly the aircraft, a ppl is sufficient for most.

not any more. It's a requirement under APF regs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6.1.1 Jump Pilot Authorisation (JPA)

Before issue of a Jump Pilot Authorisation the pilot must:

• (a) Hold a valid commercial pilot licence; or

• (b) Hold a valid private pilot licence and two hundred (200) hours total aeronautical experience, of which at one hundred (100) hours must be as pilot in command, or

• © Hold an APF Certificate ‘D’ and a valid private pilot licence and one hundred and twenty (120) hours total aeronautical experience of which seventy (70) hours must be as pilot in command; and

True - the bigger jump school pilots get something. Most guys get a little bit for doing it but there is a big "no" next to PPL holders being allowed to fly for reward.

Most of the guys i've met who've done a bit for smaller places are just building hours. Not bad hours generally either as it's not uncommon to be flying turbo or constant speed aircraft which go a long way towards those CPL hours.

There is no such thing as the school not accepting your time, it's not up to them, its a CASA thing. The best thing you can do is to arm yourself with the appropriate regulations and take it to the CFI.

I am of the opinion, that if I have to educate them, I should probably go elsewhere.

• Agree 1

Not all ga schools recognize ra time up here in qld in fact I think I have been given a caning because of my ra certificate in the past and walked away from my ppl training but with the ousting of all the old staff and the hiring of a whole new crew I am happy to say I am back at it and alls good

I stopped at a GA school at Archerfield some years ago, wanting to organise some unusual attitude training. I approached one of the instructors, explaining my history of flight training and currency, he interrupted, right after the word "ultralight", to say "I'm sorry to hear that". I walked away, never been back.

back to Solomon's situation, young guy in school. I don't think starting a PPL is a good financial move, probably need a car and a job before you can consider that.

I think that would depend on the level of support available to him. The younger you start, the better.

I know of 3 few guys who've gone the Rex path at Wagga. They're not necessarily glowing about the whole experience but they seem very happy with their job and the experience they're getting. Mid 20's and up front of some very nice turbo-props. The course isn't for wimps either - the entry tests sound quite hard.

I still reckon if you want a job in the airlines it's about the only way to go nowadays. Not often you see the "Pilots wanted" sign stapled to the side of your 737 any more.

I stopped at a GA school at Archerfield some years ago, wanting to organise some unusual attitude training. I approached one of the instructors, explaining my history of flight training and currency, he interrupted, right after the word "ultralight", to say "I'm sorry to hear that". I walked away, never been back.

Thats a shame, for him I mean as well as yourself. He is missing out on some wonderful aircraft to fly with that attitude. Unfortunately alot of GA pilots have their headstuck in the sand when it comes to AUF/RAA type aircraft . Of course alot of GA pilots love all aviation & dont descriminate & fly both.

[quote="dazza 38, post: 271515, member: 2461 He is missing out on some wonderful aircraft to fly with that attitude. Unfortunately alot of GA pilots have their headstuck in the sand when it comes to AUF/RAA type aircraft .

And some have their head stuck up their bum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That's funny - i've always had the exact opposite impression!

The poor old RA-Aus pilot's missing out on a lot of aircraft too don't forget. Not to mention aerobatics, controlled airspace, taking the family away...073_bye.gif.391d1ddfcbfb3d5f69a5d3854c2b0a02.gif

• Agree 1

New CASA draft regs automatically give a new CASA licence to holder of an RAA certificate. Who knows when/if the new rules will appear.

Thankyou David.I tried to explain that a few months ago but nobody believed me.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

• Like 2

I'm studying through to my ATPL'S At the moment and what I was told with my ra hours was that at least my mum would be proud of them and to leave it their. This is with a cadet course although I'm doing it off my own back. Not through the airlines. Command time will still account eventually down the line even tho It might not be respected.

The VET FEE Course with Flight training Adelaide at parafield. Same course that the DJ/QF cadets are doing just no guarantee of a right hand seat, just an interview. It is a 150 hr course so I did have to forget about the hrs anyway but it's still funny to see how many noses get turned up when you mention RA. Even from guys with a 5th of the hours I've got.

The VET FEE Course with Flight training Adelaide at parafield. Same course that the DJ/QF cadets are doing just no guarantee of a right hand seat, just an interview. It is a 150 hr course so I did have to forget about the hrs anyway but it's still funny to see how many noses get turned up when you mention RA. Even from guys with a 5th of the hours I've got.

So far up themselves they are out of touch with reality, every so often one of these "superior" pilots goes out and buys a 'dead easy to fly ultralight' and smashes it.

it's still funny to see how many noses get turned up when you mention RA. Even from guys with a 5th of the hours I've got.

some people are just unbelievable, through all my years I’ve watched air crash investigation I’ve learnt that good pilots that save passenger are ones who go out flying in recreational aircraft during their weekends to brush up their skills, like the pilot who ditched the plane in the Hudson river, he would of not ditched the aircraft successfully if he hadn't been flying gliders. When they train commercial pilot for emergencies, they don’t usually include a training in ‘how to glide an A320 if all power is loss’, this is where experience in light aircraft comes in, we’ve all at least had training in how to handle a forced landings. Also another well-known pilot in America glided a B737 to safety using a well-known technique the side slip he had picked up during his experience with recreational flying. I say having done recreational hours should be a bonus to a pilots career, i really don’t understand why it gets frowned upon in the GA community.