AOPA new video it is a must watch for everyone

question, before i watch this... should I watch before i go solo, or is it going to freak me out? I only ask because back in another lifetime i used to absorb as much of this sort of safety stuff as possible relating to motorcycles, and i did find that it got into my head sometimes bad enough to make me a nervous rider (even though I've been riding now 34+ years on and off)... just your thoughts...

• Like 1

wow... thanks for sharing that. Very sobering. So where DO we draw the line? some people would say the death of his mother should have grounded him, and others might say the flying could be therapeutic for him. I think my big takeaway on this one, besides the AMISAFE check is the idea of keeping it quiet in the cockpit on takeoff and landing, no distractions nor chatter with anyone other than the tower.

Sterile cockpit means no distractions that are not related to the flying you are doing. If someone pointed out to you that the gear was down that would be something relating to the flight and worth responding to. Nev

I think that would be a given, and wouldn't be considered "chatter or distractions"...

at any rate, its a great takeaway from this video I think, because I know I can be particularly prone to not remembering whether i have done something or not, and enforcing a sterile cockpit will be one thing I can do to help mitigate this. Checklists being the other, but I already do that pretty well.

what other lessons have we gotten out of this? What do we/you think he should have done regarding his recent loss, should he have gone up in the hopes it would be therapeutic, or should he have called it off till a future time. Keep in mind he didn't realise it was on his mind at the time or had been affecting him.

I am a proponent of human factors. Contrast how this guy was handled with what often happens, A "Pilot error" statement and condemnation, finishing there and no more going into it. Perhaps fines and loss of licence?

Offence of Strict Liability? That means no excusing circumstances, You did it and that is it!!

Putting this up for all to see is one good thing out of a terrible outcome. Punishing pilots where there is no intention to do wrong is not the way. It won't happen to me, may be a common attitude and is out there, but you can make it less likely to be you by realising that it can probably happen to anyone and being more aware of what may affect your performance and decision making effectiveness. Nev

• Agree 1

Actually what I took away from this was to really look at where your head is at every time you fly. As most maybe aware of the bypasses I recently had just over 5 weeks ago and I have been busting to be able to drive and fly again. The surgeon gave me the all clear to drive from next tuesday so in theory I can fly then as well..... Well after watching that I think I wont be flying so soon I think I will be leaving it a few more weeks at least. I feel much better now of course but I still have pain in my chest but maybe the head isn't right yet so after some rethinking of all of this today after watching that video I will not be flying so quick. Not that I would be taking any passengers anyway the first few flights but I think I really need to be more observant of "me" that what I think I am. I do believe in the HF situations but this video actually bought it home more than I thought it had been

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Mark, I wouldn't mind coming along as your pax on the first couple of flights back if you'd like a pilot buddy to monitor and encourage, or make the coffee 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif .

Cheers

JimG

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Actually what I took away from this was to really look at where your head is at every time you fly. As most maybe aware of the bypasses I recently had just over 5 weeks ago and I have been busting to be able to drive and fly again. The surgeon gave me the all clear to drive from next tuesday so in theory I can fly then as well..... Well after watching that I think I wont be flying so soon I think I will be leaving it a few more weeks at least. I feel much better now of course but I still have pain in my chest but maybe the head isn't right yet so after some rethinking of all of this today after watching that video I will not be flying so quick. Not that I would be taking any passengers anyway the first few flights but I think I really need to be more observant of "me" that what I think I am. I do believe in the HF situations but this video actually bought it home more than I thought it had beenMark

Mark: I'm pleased to hear that you're on the improve. You've probably thought of this already, but it might be an idea to go up with an instructor the first time or two. After a long layoff, you'll be rusty and your confidence will be down a bit. Also if (God forbid) anything goes wrong healthwise, you'll have someone who can get you down safely and quickly. Finally, having that backup pilot in the right seat will help take the pressure down on you a bit.

Thanks for posting the video, Mark. The guy is very brave to do a film so others can learn, and really think about whether they should fly. All the lectures in the world do not bring home the point as forcefully as a real incident like this. I hope he can feel less guilty in the future. I shall certainly be questioning myself before I fly rather more than I have done in the past.

Neil

good video & viewpoint Mark

what I remember said in it was .................. 'the burden of responsibility we have for others when we take them flying' (including ourselves - when solo)

............ keep it safe aviators

• Agree 1

Thanks for posting that Mark - a good reminder of topics which should have been (& hopefully were) covered during HF training

Cheers

John