So who is making all the money out there....

Guest Bigfella

Guest Bigfella

in the aviation world, that is?

I just read a recent post about a kid mentioning how expense it is to go to aviation school to become a commercial pilot. So potentially this kid has to pour a whole lot of money into an education that, from my limited knowledge, in the end gets him a job as a commercial pilot that pays two fifths of f#%$ all. So the question is who's getting his money? I'm guessing the instructors not. The school? probably not. Is it the plane manufacturers, mechanics, airports, atc?

Curious from my point of view as well, training in GA (for my own reasons) it definitely is an expensive exercise that I consider myself fortunate enough to be able to afford. The school I train at charges me $100/hr for my instructor to sit next to me, I dont have a problem with this although I bet he doesnt see a very big percentage of that $100.

Hey, if I know where my money's going I can change careers and try and recoup some of my costs 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Cheers,

Bigfella

If I was to guess I'd probably say it's split between banks, lawyers, accountants, etc.

Because if it costs me about $100 per hour to fly my trike (and that's just fuel, hangar and spare parts) with a 2 stroke rotax, I can't imagine an airline making a lot of money if they can get me from Brisbane to Sydney for sometimes less than that.

If the airline can't make much money, they can't pay well either.

And since most things today are bought for bank's money, that's why I say they must be making the money.

Compliance costs - have to subscribe to AIP, CARs, ERSA, WACs, CAAPs etc. Provide adequate learning facilities at airport - rent, lease facilities - some operators - Councils - charge a fortune, landing fees etc. Read the Ops Manual and CASA requirements. All adds up to big dollars.

Sue

• Agree 1

well that and having to pay for all of these periodic inspections, rebuilds, maintenance etc...

In regard to those inspections, a LAME aquaintanance says he pays around $42k a year just for insurance. That a lot of hours worked just to pay bills, let alone earn an income.

Guest Bigfella

I like your literal spin on things Nev, filling my job application form now for the mint.........

M61A1, yes, I forgot about pi insurance for people like the LAME's, I'm in the building industry and people like engineers and building surveyors etc pay huge sums of money for professional indemnity insurance.

Cheers,

Bigfella

No, seriously, evryone knows that a big factor in the coefficient of lift is money. The more lift you need, the more money required..Its directly proportional. If you dont believe me, call qantas and ask how far you can go for $0..:)

• Caution 1

Aircraft LAME costs are similar to that of your local car mechanic - they all range between $90 - $140 hr to the customer. Parts are dearer than poison, and everything (just about) is on calendar time, so a lot of things you replace whether they need it or not. With your car you only replace it if the duck tape and cable ties won't hold it together.

You inspect your plane periodically, so that is another cost - paying $120 an hour to someone to pull off covers and look with a torch - it needs to be done, but it's something you don't get done to your car... Paper work, with you car... you don't have 2 days of paper work to go through after each service...

Avgas is the biggest killer for me - at over $2 a litre it's criminal!

Landing fees are a killer, I spent over $200 in one week on landing fees a while back.

Club fees, Charts, ASIC are all just other costs...

That's why I own a 95:10 ultralight... costs me nothing to keep out the back, I can tinker with it, fly it... look after it, no insurance to worry about... Keep it simple Sam!

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Agree 2

Guest SAJabiruflyer
tell the little begger to go and become a sparky or plumber first then make some bucks there then become a commercial pilot.

I dunno, I had my Bookkeeper find out how much money I make from an hours labour, after expenses such as Wages, Insurance, Power, Internet, Tax, Bookkeeping etc ad nauseum. Out of $99 I make a Nett profit of under $15.00. Talking to a few Sparky's and Plumbers, it's much the same - we have to charge so "much" per hour in order to recoup a "normal" income. No wonder some choose to do so many Cash jobs..

Aviation is a lot like farming...there must be some reason why we do it...but money isn't one of them!

I recall a conversation some years ago, where a gliding instructor said "it's not a living, it's a lifestyle".

Yes m61, they often sell you a sh!t paying job with that line. Then you realise youve been duped when you realise you cant pay your rent with 'lifestyle'

I try to keep my work and fun different, I'd hate to end up resenting the things I like to do because I HAD to do them to live. Having said that, I do get a bit "planed out" lately, working fulltime on helo's, rebuilding one aircraft at home & maintaining and flying another.