What's flying low and fast around Deception Bay/Mango Hill?

rdarby

I can hear something fast, quite a deep engine, nothing like a Lycomming or Continental we usually hear and definately not a Rotax! Reving quite fast, faster than a war bird, more like something that races.

Does anyone know if something special is in the area? It's been about for two days now.

I am in Caboolture, I read that because of all he rain they are having to spray for mosquitos a lot more..maybe an aircraft the council have put on to spray for the little annoying buggers...helicopter maybe..

David

I am in Caboolture, I read that because of all he rain they are having to spray for mosquitos a lot more..maybe an aircraft the council have put on to spray for the little annoying buggers...helicopter maybe..David

It's probably a Mosquito Aircraft that is trying to defend its siblings. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

• Haha 1

I heard (and saw) a plane that fits your description, that flew overhead at school today, between 11:20 and 1:30 pm. It looked like a low wing and was pretty fast. I'm in Tassie though so I doubt it's related.Tom

You must have the senses of superman Tom..he heard it up here in QLD.. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif mate I couldn't help myself...

• Like 1

It is Trevor Mills in his Subaru powered RV8 it has a very distinctive sound it does around 180 kts it is a weapon. I have had a fly of it and it is very smooth and very fast YGY is the call sign if you hear him around. He is a nice guy have a chat with him if you catch up with him at Ycab. He built the aircraft and all the mods to the engine and redrive

DSC_3991_1.jpg.cc02cd3de8152513f1e265d7bd9c15e4.jpg

DSC_3972_1.jpg.e448279a802c2ee7775ecbc4cea897e5.jpg

DSC_3944_1.jpg.c69cb4ee12c57a639d3f2167c06f067f.jpg

ah righto.. ea 81's are the baby ones, H6 is the 3.0 six.. probably would be.. sounds like a weapon. After working on Subie motors for a few years as a mechanic, i would have no drama putting myself behind one in the air. Great cars, great motors, and great quality control in my experience.

I can hear something fast, quite a deep engine, nothing like a Lycomming or Continental we usually hear and definately not a Rotax! Reving quite fast, faster than a war bird, more like something that races.Does anyone know if something special is in the area? It's been about for two days now.

Ryan, it's a red/ wite RV8 Trev rips around in it all the time, it's got some sort of subie engine I think, 170 kts plus!

• Informative 1

You may be right Dazza. I know it is a eggenfellner engine as he went to the USA and got it from him. He has since made some of his own mods to it. It is fast and it has a engine note all its own.

Ooh maybe that is why it is written down as a E 6 on the rego search web site. Maybe due to the mods he has done to the engine ?

No problem at all....all the noise is going directly out the bottom of the aircraft. When I had a fly of it the aircraft did 170 knots man it was smokin on the way out to Bribie Island you didnt have to move the controls very much....Trevor has since done work on the exhausts from what I am told hence the new note from the engine and it can do now close to 180 knots.....and it sounds and looks like it too. The thing can climb at about 2000 ft/min I am sure it goes up like a rocket

VH-YGY just went past and landed at YHBA. It SCREAMS! How fast is it???

Nice looking bird too.

According to the radio calls (5 mile and 1 mile final straight in) he covered 4 miles in 1.5mins(actually slightly quicker - and with a head wind). That puts his pass at 160kts! And it looked like to too.