OzRunways now CASA approved!

slartibartfast

Guest airsick

Hi Bruce,

I read your post and I agree with your view and that of the CASA person who told you that the mini was suitable (as well as the CASA people that I talked to at NatFly who also agreed that the mini is alright). That said it seems that CASA can't come to an internally consistent view on the matter as pointed out by shu77 above.

My stance remains unchanged - I'm going to continue using the mini until CASA contests it. And when they do I will be contesting it right back.

Cheers,

Mick.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the mini goes, I can see that it probably will come down to the CASA rep on the day whether it is suitable or not. That is, unless it is written down unambiguously. The unfortunate thing is that I've finally given in to buying something with that little "i", only for the reason that the chance of OzR or AvPlan catering for android is so remotely miniscule. The mini would be my preference over the full size, but its a bit of a gamble at this stage.

Does someone happen to have the CASA statement about the mini in writing? My post above was a direct restate from one of the CASA reps listed on the EFB page on the CASA site. my concern as airsick mentions is that the view from CASA is inconsistent. I would love to buy a mini but don't want to find myself in grief because of what seems to be a CASA reps personal opinion.

shu77

Sorry I do not have it in writing but I think his name was Kevin or Keith he said that they would accept the ipad mini.

Why not email CASA and ask them but we were quite happy to accept his word that the ipad mini was ok.

Then you could have it in writing that they said that it was an "Appropriate Size".

Bruce

Guys,

We cannot rely on some CASA rep's opinion or perception of the rule, on this page alone we have 2 statements from CASA reps condradicting each other!! There should be NO grey area at all. The simple fact that this discussion has gone on for 4 pages on this forum and similar on other forums tells me clearly that there is confusion regarding the mini iPad. The reason for this as I see it there is no rule as such to the size, only a reommendation. If there is a rule please show it to me in black & white.

Lets be honest the bloke that tells me that an iPad mini is not "aproximately" the same as an A5 needs to have his eyes tested.

Also it would seem from what I have read in overseas mags the iPad mini has been accepted with open arms for private/ recreational flying so what is the big song & dance here? As I said before if you can't read an ERSA doc on a mini it is not a bigger iPad you need.

• Agree 2

Guys,We cannot rely on some CASA rep's opinion or perception of the rule....

Correct. The rule says what it says. It's a recommendation for non-AOC holders (ie, private pilots). The CASA guys however are quite right in saying that if the iPad fails you are then in breach of the regs because you have no aeronautical reference documents, but there is no possible way they can justify failing a private pilot on a ramp check solely on the basis they have no backup. How often, after all, does anyone carry a backup to paper charts?

What is the difference with an iPad? To me, almost nothing. iPads can fail, sure, but it's pretty bloody unusual, and it's almost never something which can't be resolved by re-booting. More likely they can run out of power, but this is a contingency which the private pilot must mitigate for or have alternatives, and what fool takes off with his iPad on 20% charge and his only source of aeronautical charts? As I've experienced previously, paper charts can literally fly out the window. Unlikely, yes, but possible, and has happened more than once!

The bottom line is that it's an individual decision and you must make sure, one way or another, that you don't screw up and get left with no charts!

Guest airsick
As I've experienced previously, paper charts can literally fly out the window. Unlikely, yes, but possible, and has happened more than once!

Exactly. I have had several occasions that paper has failed me. Dropped it between the front and rear seats and couldn't retrieve, flown out the window, passenger spilled something on them.

I take a risk management approach to this. Ipad is fully charged before the flight and I have in-flight power, I also have GPS as backup should I need it and I have a radio should all else fail. If my radio fails I also have a transponder. I can land in a paddock (I did that last weekend in fact), road or some other suitable location should the need arise. More important than a backup (in my mind at least) is a plan.

And I also carry an old set of maps - the airspace boundaries might be dated but at least I can navigate and to me navigation is more crucial than bumping into airspace. (This is not to say I do not appreciate the airspace boundaries and so on so no flaming here please...)

I don't carry a backup engine (and that's more important than a damn map if you ask me) but I regularly practice my emergency procedures should it fail. Again, risk management...

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the CASA forum on Easter Saturday cca 1600 in hangar E. The statement was that if you use an ipad with Ozrunways, the ipad mini was acceptable as a second source of maps saving the trees but a bit more out of pocket to be running both.

Couple of queries clarifield at the recent Loxton flyin by CASA reps

What back-up is required? The answer was none, refered to cars 22 I think, where you must have adequate means to complete the trip in safety. ( not his words exactly but refer to cars)

If he was doing a ramp check he would look at the amount of power left in the ipad to complete the trip, make sure that I had a hard copy of the weather (air services approved)

and thats basicly it. No maps NO mini ipad required.

He gave me his card with contact details should I have further queries.

As he said, it is all to do with safety which I totally concur.

Personally I will carry maps for backup.

Phil.

• Agree 4