Just Aircraft Highlander

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok thanks guys for the comments.

If your in the Melbourne area I'd love to have a look at sometime?

I've got a fuselage at home I'm going to modify to get a kinda eurofox /highlander hybrid

Disagree - The some of all parts adds up to more than them put together.... If its a good build, its a good buy. Aircraft sales are dead at the moment, trust me I know the market as 95% of the aircraft importers are my customers. Don`t try and compare an old Supercub or Citabria. Apples for oranges...

Anyway, the Highlander was designed to carry out a similar role as a Piper Super Cub IE - get into short fields or land off airport. Difference is that the Highlander is restricted to 600KG MTOW and a restricted pay load that comes with that.

So the reason I mentioned that the aircraft will have a better chance of selling RAA registered is because it doesn't have to compete with refurbished super cubs which can bought in the states & imported for a similar price. Which have a better payload than the Highlander & are not built to a limited weight.

BTW- It is been common knowledge that the market has been very slow for a few years. Its not rocket science.

Metalman, thanks I might well do that... Did you buy your kit from the importer Alpine Aircraft ?

Dazza, I agree with you mate, its just like often we can debate all day about what one considers good value vs another. I have no intention of going GA so I'm restricted to RAA aircraft but for the type of low n slow flying I like, I don't consider it a restriction at all.

No mate, I'm starting with a Gazzelle fuselage and will cut it up and make some wings from scratch. I've got some time in a eurofox and I have a Kitfox copy experimental( VH reg), I really love the type!

And always remember " hi performance" doesn't always mean fast

Hi Guys,After whittling down my list of aircraft to buy, the top of my list is now the Just Aircraft Highlander. Apart from the terrible company name ( sounds like a OJ company or something ! ) the aircraft has nothing but great feedback. Is anyone flying one that can purhaps provide me with some advice or help here ? I'm yet to finish my RAA licence ( only a few hours left ) so I'm pretty wet behind the ears so to speak but this looks like a safe, easy to fly and versatile aircraft. I'm comfortable with Taildraggers having learnt to fly in an Auster when i was 16 but I never got my licence back then as my Dad taught me to fly.

Cheers

G

I flew 8188 when it was AHC 2 years ago and came very close to buying it from Peter. It is a phenomenal aircraft with the most balanced controls you will find. A big plane like all classic draggers but with great rudder control and easy flare. I really needed a factory built aircraft for teaching so the Savannah S got the nod- I would have preferred the Highlander but while great for me not all students are happy to learn in a dragger ( harden up!) so this would limit its training potential. As Dazz says the you tube clips are amazing and the new "Superstol" version looks even more impressive.

9/10 from me.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, After spending my last 3 hours on youtube watching some pretty skilled pilots fly what is a very well done aircraft im sold. Its great to get your direct feedback.. What was the build like ? all i plan on doing is adding a transponder and plum in an Ipad and that it... Oh and finish my RAA ticket.. must not forget about THAT :-)

• Helpful 1

Gforce have you got the empty weight of the one you are going to buy?.....I have been looking at the super stol version but it will be a fair bit heavier I think. Alpine aircraft dont have anything on their site about the highlander kits at all

Guest nunans

I saw the aircraft (I think it was this aircraft anyway) at temora a couple of years ago and it had a really impressive covering and paint job.

It had vgs under the horiz stab because the guy said he ran out of elevator before it stalled. he was after 100k for it then but it was only freshly built and the market is now horrible so offer him 50 you're probably the only genuine buyer he has.

HongieI have been over the site 10 times and I can not find any empty weight for the superstol version just the highlander

Hi Mark, the Super STOL version has a empty weight of - 720 pounds, useful load of 600 pounds. I stumbled across the weights in the Just Aircraft news section. It was in a write up of the Super STOL, from a magazine I think.

Metalman, thanks I might well do that... Did you buy your kit from the importer Alpine Aircraft ?Dazza, I agree with you mate, its just like often we can debate all day about what one considers good value vs another. I have no intention of going GA so I'm restricted to RAA aircraft but for the type of low n slow flying I like, I don't consider it a restriction at all.

Gforce,

Good value represents what you the buyer is prepared to pay for an aircraft, it is your choice and that is all that matters.

As long as it has log books up to date and your lame goes over it with a fine tooth comb it will be good value to you.

I just spent 100k on my Tecnam Sierra last November, to me it was good value in the prinstine condition it was with the low hrs all the extras and upgrades that came with it.

I have had people say to me 100k for a plane what a waste of money, mind you some of these people have an 80K boat that they use 4 times a year.

I average over 100hrs a year so i know what the waste of money is.

Enjoy your pride and joy if and when you get it.

BTW congrats on the new arrival when he comes, me i have had 2 additional grandies in the last 2 months so that makes 4.

Kids are all gone and now spending their inheritance.

Cheers

Alf

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Thanks Alf ! Im very excited as this is our first child. I hope he is as plane crazy as I am ! He sure will have alot of toys to play with. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Yes, I think it looks a good buy, but I am yet to see it in the flesh. As I mentioned, I will have a Lame go over it and get his/her opinion before emptying my savings account ! That`s for sure. 100 hours a year is doing very well ! I think I would be flying every other weekend. We are building a Hangar home at the moment so I be able to fly at when ever Im up there. No control tower... no traffic... Just pre flight and go fly ! I also have ordered a second single seat plane called FlyNano for which Im the Australian dealer for... That will be for the lake use only !

Thanks Alf ! Im very excited as this is our first child. I hope he is as plane crazy as I am ! He sure will have alot of toys to play with. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gifYes, I think it looks a good buy, but I am yet to see it in the flesh. As I mentioned, I will have a Lame go over it and get his/her opinion before emptying my savings account ! That`s for sure. 100 hours a year is doing very well ! I think I would be flying every other weekend. We are building a Hangar home at the moment so I be able to fly at when ever Im up there. No control tower... no traffic... Just pre flight and go fly ! I also have ordered a second single seat plane called FlyNano for which Im the Australian dealer

for... That will be for the lake use only !

GForce, the aircraft is a very well built aircraft and very good value, Peter used an expensive paint system and the quality shows.it has a massive cabin area with adjustable seats and will easily fit too large Aussie blokes, also a big parcel area similar to Sav.

As I said , I flew it with a clear view to purchase at Natfly in 2011, went there specifically to do the deal, but the price was firm at 100k, and being experimental VH it was IMHO outside my budget and value proposition without the ability to use it to teach in my school. If your needs don't require this then no concern.The aircraft is a class offering at the current advertised price in Sport Pilot. It is a very slow market at present so buyers can take advantage if you are cashed up.

Word of caution tho- tail draggers are not for every one, if you are still learning then get lots of tail time before you dive into your purchase. I love them and are happy with wheel back or front. You may not yet know about the difference enough to really make a good value judgement for YOU. Many a plane has been bought with the heart not the head.

Good luck with baby and plane.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ballpoint, thanks very much for the feedback here.. Its great to be able to get a review from someone who knows the aircraft. Im really glad you point out that TG`s take special attention and care.. and type training and as i was taught by my Dad when he taught me to fly in his 1942 Auster J1A1... " son.. you are not finished flying till the plane is locked up in the hangar " and... " those feet are great to get you to the airport but they need to really work ....once we go flying" ... got a great dad and teacher...

Thanks for your feedback and help.

• Agree 1

Does anyone know of any super stol highlanders being built here yet? or even if there is one in australia. I would love to see how well those auto deploying slats and now combined with the VG how well they work.....there should be a big difference in performance at the low end with them all out. If they are 720 empty thats close enough to 330 kg so 270 free for the rest