Just Aircraft Highlander

Hi Neil

You have flown that highlander what is it like as a taildragger...is it skittish like a scarefox (skyfox) or very controllable? Those smackdown landings are super extreme but for the use and areas that we fly in probably way too extreme but the std highlander and undercarriage mated with that superstol wing looks to me like a ideal combination especially if you can keep the weight of that package to around 300 kg then to have 300 kg free would just be fantastic and would allow for big buggars like me to actually have some endurance when carrying a pax

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only did one landing in it and Peter advised a full flare for a good 3 pointer, I found the whole thing very controlled with no tendency to over sink or loose aileron or rudder authority, it's a very solid plane and the landing was uneventful, I did a small bounce but the whole thing was rock solid and just settled to ground. It would be my build choice hands down and the only question I have on the SuperStol wing is what measures ensure one slat couldn't jam relative to the other creating a potential control problem.

My Highlander ( like the sound of that ) weights in at about 320 Kgs from memory. It has bigger wheels and PPG paint and long range tanks so these add to the weight obviously I have been told you could be one under 300 Kgs.

Kyle, for what its worth, Im very low time and whilst my landing was more of an arrival I found it was very controllable. I would not of bought it if I had felt it was not a safe easy plane to learn with.

Keeping the weight down is the major priority for me so the mrs and plenty of fuel will fit. The highlander with your wheels says 270 to 280 kg on their listings...the extended tanks wouldnt add that much extra weight but then again I know from experience it is easy to add weight with paint thats for sure. It would be great to have a highlander up here one could bum a flight in to see what its like

2 up is fine when you have only 100 litres of fuel and 286kg. My Sav is 317kg but only 560 kg MTOW so can only fit 243 kg yours gives you an extra 43kg. That can make all the difference for duration. I can take 140 litrs of fuel and myself and 20kg of baggage but put the Mrs in and that fuel goes away. Thats the problem with mine. if it was 600 kg I would be laughing as I love the aircraft.

Yes, picking an LSA that had a 600Kg MTOW was important for me as I plan on doing some " confidence building " trips solo with alot of gear like tents etc. The HL has a huge storage area and this doubles as a sleeping area if you like.. personally I cant see my practical use for that unless I was prevented from a home trip by weather and had not planned on staying overnight... I guess I could sleep in it but then I would just head to the nearest pub !

No I would keep it as a tail dragger. I have been looking on the aircraft register and there is a allocated number to one 19-7498.....yours is not that number and it means there is one being built unless this was yours in a previuos life. If it isnt yours I wonder if anyone knows where it is

Alpine Aircraft Sales

Peter Pendergast is the contact.

They are based at Lethbridge north of Geelong and Michael his brother looks after the Pioneer aircraft side of things which they are also importers for.

Peter, as GForce says, is a great guy and very approachable.

Alpine Aircraft Sales Lethbridge Air Park 3429 Midland Hwy

Lethbridge Victoria 3332 Phone: 0418 521 534

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

G'day all! First time poster, long time reader. I've been out of flying for several years, but will become involved again very soon. I'm looking maybe to build from a kit, or possibly plans only at a pinch. (Kit would be best).

I'm keen on several designs and kits, but leaning towards the J6C Karatoo at the moment. Any advice or comments on this design is very welcome. I like that it can now be powered by 100+ horsepower which puts it on par with the Highlander, Rans S7S Courier, CH 705, Savannah and the latest Kitfox. Any advice and comment on the Karatoo design is most welcome.

Does anyone know what the airfoil is used on the Highlander and the Super Stol? The Karatoo and Highlander appear very similar, but I'm sure there are a plethora of differences from a technical POV. Thanks. Phil.

Howdy Phil and welcome, I can't tell you much IRT the Karatoo apart from it was designed by American Jesse Anglin and Australian Max Peters made kits for them here in the late eighties. It has a Clarke Y aerofoil and it is a steel tube fuselage with wooden wings. The Highlander is based (like a lot of aircraft) on the Avid Flyer, but redesigned to the extent that it really doesn't have much in common with the Avid flyer these days.

G`day Phil, The Highlander really is a completely new aircraft with not much in common wit the old Karatoo other than the good old " cub type " configuration.

The Highlander features a Riblett GA 30-613.5. airfoil. Cheers M8

Think I saw this one being built. Peter is a pretty capable and keen pilot and I'm sure that it is built as well as it looks. As far as the STOL goes I have two minds about the concept. They are 'right" for Alaska and I have one myself but you can need a bit of "penetration" on windy days to handle the winds. Stol planes with low wing loadings can be a bit of a handful in changeable weather conditions and require a bit of assistance to taxi etc . They get virtually blown away. Nev