Confused about Licences

Sorry if this has been asked before and such a Newbie Question But

Whats the advantage about training in a certain Aircraft

i.e. if you do you training in say a foxbat you can fly a J160 under the same license??(assuming they are registered RA (or whatever))

What if one was to obtain a certificate in a Microlight can they then fly an ultralight??

Also can one start training with one Flying school and transfer the credited time to another

What License/Certificate do you require for experimental Registered Aircraft??

Where is all this documented ( I remember reading it some time ago and for the life of cannot find it now)

Hi Nev, There is no Licences in RAA. Only CASA can issues licences, RAAO's issue certificates only.

In regards to mircolights, assuming you me trikes. They are a different endorsement known as weight shift, where as ultralights are 3 axis . .A few guys here fly both.

Experimental aircraft that are RAA registered are flown on a RAA pilot certificate.

Sorry if this has been asked before and such a Newbie Question But

That's what we're here for

Whats the advantage about training in a certain Aircraft

i.e. if you do you training in say a foxbat you can fly a J160 under the same license??(assuming they are registered RA (or whatever))

Sort of; There is discussion about some aircraft and if they fit in 'High Performance' or 'Low Performance'.

Some Foxbats are low, while others high.

The Jab160 is 'High'.

All have to be RAAus registered.

What if one was to obtain a certificate in a Microlight can they then fly an ultralight??

If by Microlight, you mean 'Trike', no.

A Trike is weight shift, the others are 3 Axis.

Each needs it's own endorsement.

Also can one start training with one Flying school and transfer the credited time to another

All hours are supposed to be recognised, but not necessarily from your log book.

You should get school 1 to send a copy of your training to school 2.

If you mean RAAus to GA, or reverse, they are supposed to recognise, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

What License/Certificate do you require for experimental Registered Aircraft??

If Experimental GA (VH registered), you need PPL, or maybe the new RPL license.

If ELSA (Experimental Light Sports Aircraft) and registered with RAAus, then just an RAAus license, endorsed to suit, ie tail/nosewheel, two/four stroke, high/low performance, float, etc.

Where is all this documented ( I remember reading it some time ago and for the life of cannot find it now)

Basically in the OP's manual.

OOPS, Dazza beat me.....

• Informative 2

Guest Andys@coffs

With regard the question of Trikes to 3 axis...... or vise versa

Once you have your pilots certificate wether 3 axis or weight shift you can do a conversion course and (subject to displayed skill levels) takes between 5 and 15 hours from memory which is seriously less than starting from fresh. I think I took about 10 and thats about average....

So dont let the No's put you off one or the other. I like to think of 3 axis as like a car, good for long distance in comfort and trikes like a motorcycle, fantastic fun....but not so great in the cold, but just sublime in Summer in the heat when you just want to fly about..... Thats not to say Trikes havent flown long distance they have......but my Jabby is more fun for that than my trike IMHO

Andy

Thanks all

hi what are you currently learning to fly in also fly out of latrobe valley

Haven't started yet Still in the What do I do and how stage

I was going through with the RA certificate with Pioneer Av Some time ago

Had a few financial dramas Back on track now (sort of)

I have these Red Balloon Cards that I could use as first few Hours but they are GA or Weight Shift and in Melbourne (have to book something today or they expire)

Long term Plan is to build a Aircraft and am looking at the Mini Max but sourcing materials seems a task and a half around here and I'm not getting any younger

All in the planning stage yet again

Nev. if you will be building in the future and something lke a mini max, I reckon RAAus is the way to go. You can build GA with SAAA looking over your shoulder and you will need a GA licence. Build with RAAus and there is less hassle and a pilots certificate is possibly easier to get. There is a wealth of help available on the web and this site is possibly one of the quickest ways to find out anything

I have built both types and RAAus is easier. Of course you will not be able to do aerobatics, night VFR or fly in controlled airspace, but a lot of us don't seem to find that a drag. One thing to bear in mind is that whatever you build, the designer knew what he was doing so don't change anything. Little changes can have great repercussions.

Whatever you fly, enjoy it and bear in mind that what is fun is not necessarily a good way to earn a living.

Thanks all

Haven't started yet Still in the What do I do and how stage

I was going through with the RA certificate with Pioneer Av Some time ago

Had a few financial dramas Back on track now (sort of)

I have these Red Balloon Cards that I could use as first few Hours but they are GA or Weight Shift and in Melbourne (have to book something today or they expire)

Long term Plan is to build a Aircraft and am looking at the Mini Max but sourcing materials seems a task and a half around here and I'm not getting any younger

Hi Nev,

Regarding materials, I found Performance Metals in Sydney to be brilliant. Worked out what I would need for my CH-701, put in an order with them and they shipped it to Hobart quickly. They didn't have one piece in stock so they posted it on when their next order came in from the US. If you need 6061-T6 or 4130 chrome moly, I couldn't recommend them highly enough. (I have no affiliation with this company apart from being a satisfied customer!)

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, got my restricted PPL many years ago and now building my own plane - haven't joined up with RA-Aus yet but it seems the way to go.

Cheers, Marty

From that site, exactly what I was after -

"CPL, ATPL) who wish to obtain an RA-Aus Pilot Certificate can undertake conversion training at an RA-Aus flight training facility (FTF) to familiarise them to the particular flight characteristics of very light aircraft. Prior to undertaking the flight test for the issue of a Pilot Certificate and endorsements, an applicant must complete such dual training as deemed necessary by a CFI and, in any case, shall have not less than 5 hours experience, in an aeroplane registerable with RA-Aus, which shall include a minimum of one hour solo.

Full RA-Aus membership, plus a student pilot certificate, must be obtained before a solo flight is undertaken. An intending member can apply for RA-Aus membership and issue of the student pilot certificate — before selecting a particular flight school — by downloading the form Application for membership and student pilot certificate and returning it to the RA-Aus office. Or, the flight school can provide the form and process the paperwork and training can start with temporary RA-Aus membership issued by the FTF.

Holders of a pilot licence which is no longer valid because the period of effectiveness of the last biennial flight review or class 2 medical certificate has lapsed, are also eligible to apply for the Pilot Certificate, however it is likely that lack of recency will affect the conversion flight time necessary. An aviation medical certificate is not required but an RA-Aus pilot must be medically fit to a standard equivalent to that required to hold a private motor vehicle driver’s licence in Australia. It is the responsibility of all Pilot Certificate holders to report to RA-Aus any change in their health status which would cause them to be below that minimum health standard required."

http://www.raa.asn.au/join/

The last paragraph fits me perfectly, as I last flew in 2009 and haven't kept anything up to date after that. I reckon I'd still pass a Class One medical though, they were never a problem.

Might want to check out the Volksplane VP-1 from evansair.com - they are designed to use only very basic materials and to be constructed with a bare minimum of time and skill, yet still be good aircraft. Good, in this case, meaning you can fly them and they are stressed to utility category G-ratings. They are not fast, they are not you-beaut technological wonders... but they do fly and apparently quite nicely at that. They are comparable to a MiniMax 1100.

Cheers - boingk