RAA 2013 General Elections for Board

Spriteah

Ladies and Gents,

In the next Sport Pilot magazine you will see that some board positions will be advertised. This last 6 months and I'm sure the next 12 are going to be very challenging for the RAA. As an organisation we are growing very quickly and need to be inovative and proactive to keep up with the expansion.

A lot of this work needs to be done in the office and I have a lot of faith the new GM and technical staff will make this happen. There is also a lot of work that needs to be done on the Governance side.

With that in mind I would like to encourage all members out there that have talents to offer RAA to consider running for positions. Some qualities that I think would assist the board are as follows:

• Experience in business with budgets over 3 million dollars

• Financial background such as accounting

• Human Resources skills

• Law background

• Business analysis

• Advanced IT knowledge

• Project Management and Engineering

• Previous board experience

The qualities above are just some examples I'm certain there are many more.

The positions comming up this year are:

Board Members (term expires at the RA-Aus 2013 Annual General Meeting)

South Queensland

South Queensland

New South Wales including the Australian Capital Territory

Victoria

South Australia

Western Australia

So if you can help and spare time consider running. If anyone has any questions do not hesitate to call me!

Regards,

Jim Tatlock

Vic Rep.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

RA-Aus Board Election 2013 - Candidate for NSW

Colin Jones

Aviation Employment Statement. "I hold no positions in any aviation related organisation which pays an income, remuneration or honorarium"

Relevant experience:-

o Ra-Aus Certificate, flying out of The Oaks, near Sydney

o Retired Professional Engineer and IT Manager - Telstra & OTC

o Retired National Treasurer (honorary) of a major member based advocacy not-for-profit (income exceeding $20Mil - over 80 staff)

o NSW Branch President of the above not-for-profit

o Committee member of a number of small local social, sporting and youth organisations

o Ashfield (NSW) Citizen of the Year 2010

o Australian Defence Medal (RAAF Reserve)

o Motorcyclist

As a Professional Engineer and IT Manager I have had significant experience in turning needs into solutions using technology. This required making the business case, determining standards, issuing and selecting tenders, employing staff and ensuring that the solutions were implemented in accordance with needs, met requirements of timeliness, costs and utility.

As the Treasurer, being part of the executive team, I had oversight of the organisation which was operated by a CEO. The function of the executive was to represent the members, setting the targets budgets and fees and monitoring the operations. With changes to the legislative basis of existence there was regular needs to review the rules of the organisation to ensure compliance and, as we changed through a range of mergers, to ensure equity and fairness of outcomes as well as representation and governance.

My involvement with Recreational Aviation is recent, however I have a life long family association with aviation where my father and uncles were commercial pilots and my brother a LAME. An early decision to go to University limited my choices to flying or eating and later having a family had the same effect. Having the kids off my hands meant I could once again indulge, now in RA, and it is bringing much enjoyment.

I am offering myself for election as I believe I have qualifications and a range of experiences that will be useful to the board and of benefit to the members.

I understand that there are issues of transparency and representation which are causing some debate as well as how the organisation is travelling financially and as the representative body of the members and as the delegate of CASA.

As the board of a member based organisation the RA-Aus board must face these challenges which are unlike those of a public company where you can sell your shares and just walk away.

It is my intention to fly around and see a lot more of NSW from upstairs. I hope to meet more rec flyers.

If I am elected I hope to exchange views and gather the opinions of members, particularly those who can’t get to NatFly, the AGM or other RA-Aus sponsored events.

Recreational aviation is fun, deserves to be sponsored to the rest of Australia and needs better access to more airstrips, without that access being undermined or compromised by CASA, government or local councils

Col Jones - RA-Aus Member 026402

[email protected]

0439 979 950

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

If I am elected I hope to exchange views and gather the opinions of members, particularly those who can’t get to NatFly, the AGM or other RA-Aus sponsored events.

To that end if the executive were not so high and mighty I can't see why RAA doesn't have a section on this forum very like the Drifter or Light wing or Whatever have. Communication will overcome the geographic diversity of members and their opinions and issues, if the board and the executive would just pursue that communication. If you are elected you need to do more than just "hope" to achieve this!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If you are elected you need to do more than just "hope" to achieve this!

One of the problems of democracy is that you need to get a majority of Board members on your side. This is where the art of diplomacy and persuasion together with an understanding of what is possible and the wherewithal to pay for it helps to turn "hopes" into realities. If we elect enough "hopers" then reality will set in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs
One of the problems of democracy is that you need to get a majority of Board members on your side. This is where the art of diplomacy and persuasion together with an understanding of what is possible and the wherewithal to pay for it helps to turn "hopes" into realities. If we elect enough "hopers" then reality will set in.

I agree, more hopers , and much less no hopers!!!

Guest Maj Millard

Regardless of what the new board may end up looking like in the next 12 months, we still need as a matter of urgency, rapid reporting, (where possible) of accident investigations, affecting our machines and engines.

THIS IS AN IMMEDIATE MATTER OF SAFETY FOR OUR MEMBERS !!..and needs to be addressed by the Raaus as a matter of urgency in the short, not long term.............................................Maj...054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

Well said Jim. I plan to stand in South Qld. In my view the Board would be more representative of the interests of members if it were composed of more ordinary members (such as myself) and fewer people who derive an income from recreational aviation. A majority of current Board members have some form of income from RAAus related activities (e.g. flying schools), however I derive no income from aviation related activities.

Of much greater importance is the need for RAAus to establish a culture of open, transparent and timely communications and processes - including prompt reporting of established facts in relation to accidents and incidents . My background in IT, business requirements analysis and project management has given me the skills to make a strong contribution to the improvements our organisation needs.

If elected, in addition to working to improve openness, I will seek to increase the engagement of the immense pool of talent within the RAAus membership to augment the talents of the Board and the staff. I will work to ensure the organisation attracts, retains, develops and supports talented individuals in management and administrative roles. There is a need for a strong performance management framework for all staff to ensure training needs are identified, poor performance is addressed and good performance is recognised and encouraged. There also is a pressing need for RAAus's systems to be updated, both in terms of technology and processes. If elected I will work to ensure these vital elements of any successful organisation are all they can and should be for RAAus. I also will work to ensure the Board is focussed on developing sound policies and governance structures, leaving the day to day running of the organisation to those employed for the task.

RAAus is the largest sports aviation body in the country by a big margin. It should be the leading sports aviation body too - the one others look to as an example of a well run and successful organisation. If elected I intend to work to achieve that goal consistent with the interests of the members in South Queensland..

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Guest Andys@coffs

Well Said Tony...shame I live in NSW I'd vote for you, and Col, take nothing negative from that, I'd vote for you too!!

I know both of these guys through extensive email over the last few years and know that they , like me, are not at all satisfied with where RAAus is today, and have good solid ideas as to how that can be changed, I comend both of them, and Michael Monk, when and if he announces his running for NSW as people that we should be voting for in NSW (Col and Michael) and QLD (Tony).

Andy

Guest Escadrille
Well said Jim. I plan to stand in South Qld. In my view the Board would be more representative of the interests of members if it were composed of more ordinary members (such as myself) and fewer people who derive an income from recreational aviation. A majority of current Board members have some form of income from RAAus related activities (e.g. flying schools), however I derive no income from aviation related activities.Of much greater importance is the need for RAAus to establish a culture of open, transparent and timely communications and processes - including prompt reporting of established facts in relation to accidents and incidents . My background in IT, business requirements analysis and project management has given me the skills to make a strong contribution to the improvements our organisation needs.

If elected, in addition to working to improve openness, I will seek to increase the engagement of the immense pool of talent within the RAAus membership to augment the talents of the Board and the staff. I will work to ensure the organisation attracts, retains, develops and supports talented individuals in management and administrative roles. There is a need for a strong performance management framework for all staff to ensure training needs are identified, poor performance is addressed and good performance is recognised and encouraged. There also is a pressing need for RAAus's systems to be updated, both in terms of technology and processes. If elected I will work to ensure these vital elements of any successful organisation are all they can and should be for RAAus. I also will work to ensure the Board is focussed on developing sound policies and governance structures, leaving the day to day running of the organisation to those employed for the task.

RAAus is the largest sports aviation body in the country by a big margin. It should be the leading sports aviation body too - the one others look to as an example of a well run and successful organisation. If elected I intend to work to achieve that goal consistent with the interests of the members in South Queensland..

Hi TK 58,

Sounds wonderful, Whats your name?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest airsick

RA-Aus Board Election 2013 - Candidate for NSW

Michael Monck

I grew up around radio controlled planes so I think that's where I got the bug. From a very young age I was fascinated by anything that could leap into the air and seemingly defy the laws of gravity. I'd play with toy planes, fly models and build hot air balloons just to try and get a bit closer to the sky. In my teens I joined the Australian Air League and got the chance to fly in real planes. As soon as I was old enough and had the money I took myself down to the Royal Newcastle Aero Club at Rutherford and began taking lessons. That was in the early 1990's and since then I have gained my PPL and RA-Aus flying qualifications together with various endorsements.

At this time I am an owner and executive director of a company that provides professional advice to bodies large and small. The organisations I advise include large corporate entities through to small non-profits and pretty much everything in between. I have served on the boards of several clubs and associations as well as providing advice to boards of some very well known Australian companies. In addition to this I have worked internationally and provided advice to many companies and governments throughout the world. My formal qualifications include a First Class Honours Degree in Economics from the University of Adelaide and a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Melbourne. I have also received training from highly ranked institutions throughout the world including the US and Germany.

RA-Aus is now a large National body and needs to move beyond the aero club style of management that may have served us well in the early days. With revenues in excess of $2m per annum, over 9000 members and some 3500 aircraft on the RA-Aus register, the safety, regulatory, financial and legislative risks we face are significant. As many of you are aware, particularly those who are directly impacted by the ongoing aircraft groundings (at the time of writing there are still some 400 aircraft awaiting registration), RA-Aus has suffered from a lack of direction in recent years. CASA has taken the unprecedented step of restricting our association’s ability to operate due to repeated oversights on our part and an absence of effective measures to address deficiencies brought to our attention through a number of audits.

If we are to provide an environment in which our members can engage in flying that is affordable and relatively free of red tape then I believe that we need to have systems and processes in place to satisfy the appropriate authorities that these risks and challenges we face are being adequately managed. The current situation at RA-Aus is one where this is not being done effectively (as has been demonstrated by CASA revoking the authority to register aircraft) and our privileges are under threat.

We need a board with the breadth and depth of experience, knowledge and skills to move our association forward. We need to change the way our association works from an ad hoc reactive organisation to one where member’s rights are protected through proactive efforts. We need to use member’s funds to provide services that offer value, shield pilots and aircraft owners from the bureaucracy that is CASA and provide an environment where we can fly without worry that our registration or pilot certificates are under threat. My formal qualifications, skills and experience will help RA-Aus move towards a future that allows us, as an organisation, to achieve these ultimate goals of fun, safe, affordable flying.

Should anyone wish to discuss my board candidacy I am available via email at [email protected] or mobile phone on 0419 244 794.

My business derives income from consulting on management issues to various companies which includes airlines and airports as well as numerous government departments with respect to aviation related matters. I have no income derived from aviation with respect to the type of aircraft and flying overseen by RA-Aus.

RA-Aus Board Election 2013 - Candidate for NSWMichael Monck

I grew up around radio controlled planes so I think that's where I got the bug. From a very young age I was fascinated by anything that could leap into the air and seemingly defy the laws of gravity. I'd play with toy planes, fly models and build hot air balloons just to try and get a bit closer to the sky. In my teens I joined the Australian Air League and got the chance to fly in real planes. As soon as I was old enough and had the money I took myself down to the Royal Newcastle Aero Club at Rutherford and began taking lessons. That was in the early 1990's and since then I have gained my PPL and RA-Aus flying qualifications together with various endorsements.

At this time I am an owner and executive director of a company that provides professional advice to bodies large and small. The organisations I advise include large corporate entities through to small non-profits and pretty much everything in between. I have served on the boards of several clubs and associations as well as providing advice to boards of some very well known Australian companies. In addition to this I have worked internationally and provided advice to many companies and governments throughout the world. My formal qualifications include a First Class Honours Degree in Economics from the University of Adelaide and a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Melbourne. I have also received training from highly ranked institutions throughout the world including the US and Germany.

RA-Aus is now a large National body and needs to move beyond the aero club style of management that may have served us well in the early days. With revenues in excess of $2m per annum, over 9000 members and some 3500 aircraft on the RA-Aus register, the safety, regulatory, financial and legislative risks we face are significant. As many of you are aware, particularly those who are directly impacted by the ongoing aircraft groundings (at the time of writing there are still some 400 aircraft awaiting registration), RA-Aus has suffered from a lack of direction in recent years. CASA has taken the unprecedented step of restricting our association’s ability to operate due to repeated oversights on our part and an absence of effective measures to address deficiencies brought to our attention through a number of audits.

If we are to provide an environment in which our members can engage in flying that is affordable and relatively free of red tape then I believe that we need to have systems and processes in place to satisfy the appropriate authorities that these risks and challenges we face are being adequately managed. The current situation at RA-Aus is one where this is not being done effectively (as has been demonstrated by CASA revoking the authority to register aircraft) and our privileges are under threat.

We need a board with the breadth and depth of experience, knowledge and skills to move our association forward. We need to change the way our association works from an ad hoc reactive organisation to one where member’s rights are protected through proactive efforts. We need to use member’s funds to provide services that offer value, shield pilots and aircraft owners from the bureaucracy that is CASA and provide an environment where we can fly without worry that our registration or pilot certificates are under threat. My formal qualifications, skills and experience will help RA-Aus move towards a future that allows us, as an organisation, to achieve these ultimate goals of fun, safe, affordable flying.

Should anyone wish to discuss my board candidacy I am available via email at [email protected] or mobile phone on 0419 244 794.

My business derives income from consulting on management issues to various companies which includes airlines and airports as well as numerous government departments with respect to aviation related matters. I have no income derived from aviation with respect to the type of aircraft and flying overseen by RA-Aus.

I can't vote for you Michael, but thank you for your career summary.

You sound like the type of person who would be very beneficial to have on the RAAus Board.

Pud

I have no income derived from aviation with respect to the type of aircraft and flying overseen by RA-Aus.

This part is good IMO. Not being an instructor or owner of a school helps remove the potential temptation to add additional regulation & cost to students and RA-Aus pilots. (No, not implying all are that way inclined).

• 3 months later...
Guest airsick

Hi all, just wanted to give this thread a bit of a bump to remind those who haven't already to voted to have a think about doing it. RA-Aus has gone through some troubling times of late and it really begs the question - are those currently on the board the right people to get us back on track and lead us to a more successful future for years to come?

If you haven't done so already, have a good read through the election statements and think about who is best placed to help ensure we can register aircraft, go flying and generally do what we all want to do. Then vote for that person.

Cheers,

Michael Monck.

Mick, my vote with your name on it has been mailed. We need people on the Board with your capabilities.

Fellow members, don't forget to put your member number on the back or else they won't count your vote.

Voting in NSW/ACT is your responsibility - otherwise we will get the people on the Board we deserve!

I put the number on the back of my vote for him last week, it is awfully easy to move stuff around it on the desk, I posted it because I was worried it would run out of time if I got busy. I hope a heap of them get sent in, instead of lying around expiring!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi all, just wanted to give this thread a bit of a bump to remind those who haven't already to voted to have a think about doing it. RA-Aus has gone through some troubling times of late and it really begs the question - are those currently on the board the right people to get us back on track and lead us to a more successful future for years to come?If you haven't done so already, have a good read through the election statements and think about who is best placed to help ensure we can register aircraft, go flying and generally do what we all want to do. Then vote for that person.

Cheers,

Michael Monck.

Michael

Are you related to or in some way associated with Michael Coates the Pipistrel dealer?

Guest airsick

I know the man if that's what you are asking. I also fly a Pipistrel. Well, that's a stretch, it appears all the documentation on said aircraft is up in the air at the moment (that's the closest it's gotten to flying lately) and I've got a fight on my hands to sort it out.

As for relations? Nope. And if by association you mean in business with him or something along those lines then nope again.

I consult to aviation related businesses but none of these have anything to do with RA-Aus. As I stated in my election statement I derive no income nor do I have any other financial interest in any business related to RA-Aus activities.

Cheers,

Michael.

I know the man if that's what you are asking. I also fly a Pipistrel. Well, that's a stretch, it appears all the documentation on said aircraft is up in the air at the moment (that's the closest it's gotten to flying lately) and I've got a fight on my hands to sort it out.As for relations? Nope. And if by association you mean in business with him or something along those lines then nope again.

I consult to aviation related businesses but none of these have anything to do with RA-Aus. As I stated in my election statement I derive no income nor do I have any other financial interest in any business related to RA-Aus activities.

Cheers,

Michael.

Michael

You have an aircraft that is captured by the curent registration problem - I believe you have owned this aircraft for a number of years. I expect that your relationship with Michael Coates is a bit more than "I know the man if that's what you are asking" and that your ownership of an aircraft affected by the RA-Aus registration problem should have been disclosed to members.

Relations - I was asking if you were in some way related to Michael C.

• Agree 1

your ownership of an aircraft affected by the RA-Aus registration problem should have been disclosed to members

!!!

Surely, it would be of more interest to RA members if your aircraft had somehow sailed through registration smoothly?

Why would you need to disclose that you owned an aircraft which had RA rego problems? Should candidates also disclose they they hold a pilots certificate? Or don't hold one?

As for bloodlines, I too would be interested if airsick was Michael Coates long lost son or lover. But I don't suspect it. What is going on here?

dodo

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

Guest airsick

Hi Peter, I've never shied away from the fact that I am directly affected by this registration debacle and, had I known it would drag on for so long, probably would have mentioned it in my statement. The rego fell due in May, we are now in August. I was of the understanding that it would be well sorted by now.

As for the relationship with Michael Coates I already said I know him. I already said I fly a plane that he sells. I'm not sure what you're implying here but if it is something along the lines of me being involved in some sort of shady business dealings then firstly, I can assure you that it is not the case and secondly, if that is what you're saying then just say it. I'm happy to face an accuser but I'm just not sure what I'm being accused of.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't have any financial benefit, income or any other business dealings related to RA-Aus. My only interest is that related to going flying when I get a chance. Not sure how much clearer I can make that.

Going back to the registration problem though you seem to suggest there is something untoward there. What I can honestly say is this - my motivation for running for the board is pretty much a selfish one. I had fears that I would be affected by the registration mess. I still have fears that there are other problems yet to be discovered. Regardless of what plane I fly, whether it is registered or not and who sells it, I will be affected if one day CASA says enough is enough and pulls the privileges that we currently enjoy. I'm fighting for things to be done right so all members, including me (that's the selfish bit) can go flying when we want to. Yes, that includes being able to register Pipistrel aircraft and yes, from that I stand to benefit. Is that wrong? I don't think so. And for those who do see something wrong with it let me pose this question.

There are currently 8 CFI's (or thereabouts) on the board. Each of these CFI's either derives some sort of income from RA-Aus and at the very least, obtains some other benefit (cheap/free flying for example). When was the last time one of these board members abstained from voting on a decision that directly impacted the business they are in? I've asked and I have only seen evidence of one CFI doing this and he is no longer on the board. With three positions currently vacant that means that 80% of our board decisions are driven by those with a highly vested interest in those decisions.

Rather than making thinly veiled claims about me perhaps you should be looking somewhere else...

As always if you'd like to have a chat give me a call - 0419 244 794.

Cheers,

Michael.

Gees , the guys not on the board yet and already the na Sayers are trying to crucify him , he's not running for president of USA

WHO your related to and what plane you fly ,... I carnt see it ,

Trail by association , get real , this is Raa

Not a high court appointment !

• Agree 1

PeterG,

is there something amiss with the fact that one of the candidates was removed as RAA Treasurer. Much more apposite than a drawing a bow with a nebulous arrow over a relationship.

I have exchanged correspondence with the majority of NSW Board members, the ex WA Board Member, all of the previous Presidents (over the last couple of years)and even with Tizzard and other staff members - would that be of any importance to disclose if I were to be a candidate this year or in the future?

if you have a statement to make, put up, otherwise ......

Airsick, you know that I know you are not disclosing full true and accurate information here, as we discussed this several years ago, and in fact you are dodging the question from another site user...why not disclose the full answer and simply move on...we need every board member to be fully open and honest with the members now for a change

• Caution 1