Are there any Electric aircraft flying in Australia ...yet ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Espyder has been on my watch list for several years and the production version sure looks impressive ! As a 95:10 RTF aircraft I think this would sell well here - What do you all think please ?

The Espyder has been on my watch list for several years and the production version sure looks impressive ! As a 95:10 RTF aircraft I think this would sell well here - What do you all think please ?

It's great if you don't suffer from Range Anxiety: it's one hour's flight withjust one "go-around reserve".

I'd love to go paragliding, even more to get my own licence and rig. I'll hopefully be moving to Newcastle after training at the Police College here in Goulburn so would have a grand spot for it.By the by... has anyone got any links to or pictures of electrically powered paragliders? That'd surely be a good starting point for electric aircraft.

Cheers - boingk

Once you get into free flying paragliding you won't be bothered with a motor, electric or otherwise.

Guest Howard Hughes

Anyone know what the aircraft in the picture with the five bladed prop is behind the Yuneec?

I'd love to go paragliding, even more to get my own licence and rig. I'll hopefully be moving to Newcastle after training at the Police College here in Goulburn so would have a grand spot for it.By the by... has anyone got any links to or pictures of electrically powered paragliders? That'd surely be a good starting point for electric aircraft.

Cheers - boingk

Looks like the same mob do an electric paraglider - http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/paramotor.html (no price though!)

I like the look of their LSA plane though - the E430

With flying time around 2 hours at a cruise of 52 kts the range isn't huge, plus you need a power point at the other end... (guess with everything being "plug and play" you can take the battery out of the plane and go charge it... but at 83.5kg you wouldn't want to be carrying it far! stretcher.gif.b5405e56385022b0c281bce09d6ac829.gif )

Once you get into free flying paragliding you won't be bothered with a motor, electric or otherwise.

Ok what is it then with paragliding? Flying like an eagle sounds great but you need a good ridge with a take off point, prevailing breeze in the right direction and hopefully don't just glide down to the bottom of the hill and need to get a ride back up. I would have thought that adding a motor allows take off from level ground and to find thermals? Or even the ability to cruise about a bit.

Upon reading my post it wasn't worded particularly well, having never been paragliding or hang gliding I was assuming what it was like, and trying to figure out the driver for it. Must be the pure joy of the silent flight, albeit very dependant on the conditions and proximity to suitable sites

Ok what is it then with paragliding? Flying like an eagle sounds great but you need a good ridge with a take off point, prevailing breeze in the right direction and hopefully don't just glide down to the bottom of the hill and need to get a ride back up. I would have thought that adding a motor allows take off from level ground and to find thermals? Or even the ability to cruise about a bit.

I agree. Speaking from hang gliding experience, driving for 1.5 hours then lugging your aircraft up a hill, for about 2 minutes of flight time when the wind isn't right - (or even worse, having to lug it back down again) - that's got hairs on it.

I agree. Speaking from hang gliding experience, driving for 1.5 hours then lugging your aircraft up a hill, for about 2 minutes of flight time when the wind isn't right - (or even worse, having to lug it back down again) - that's got hairs on it.

Sounds like you might have needed more practice! My inland flights average well over an hour and up to 6+. The longst XC so far is 145 km and up to 8500' linking many thermals together. Flying XC without power is the challenge. Boating around on the coast in nice smooth air is nice too.

Yes, it's great fun if you live near a suitable site. When I was doing it here in southern Tas we either went to the midlands (at Tunbridge - a hill a few km past the glider airfield), or down to Eaglehawk Neck. Had a few good flights at Eaglehawk Neck, but couldn't count the weekends at Tunbridge where the wind seemed fine all the way there, only to find it was non-existent on the top of the hill... or too strong. Strapping on an electric motor sounds like good sense to me.

This is why I now fly powered parachutes not many free flying sites in wa elect ppc's/ppg would be fun with a bit more air time available.

• Agree 1

Guest ozzie

There are a few electric ppg flying mainly owner modified. There is a yahoo group that gets active occasionally.

I'v enjoyed a few trips to the alps in Italy. 6000ft takeoff right next to road restaurant and bar next to the landing area very civilised sport.

Guest Howard Hughes
Looks like the same mob do an electric paraglider - http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/paramotor.html (no price though!)I like the look of their LSA plane though - the E430

With flying time around 2 hours at a cruise of 52 kts the range isn't huge, plus you need a power point at the other end... (guess with everything being "plug and play" you can take the battery out of the plane and go charge it... but at 83.5kg you wouldn't want to be carrying it far! stretcher.gif.b5405e56385022b0c281bce09d6ac829.gif )

Their elctric motor glider has a higher cruise speed and looks like a better proposition than the electric aircraft, IMHO! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

• 2 years later...