Cheap is not Necessarily Economic

Guys, this thread has not been our finest example of forum participation.

I'm guessing you were joking Dazza, but the comment added even less value than some of the other bickering and defensive retorts, so I've hidden yours and 2 responses quoting it.

Let's respect each other, and other cultures, a bit more huh?

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Berx, take it easy mate.

Actually grinning most of the time 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif

200 people just died a stones throw away, 1000's hurt now and I survived the 2008 quake as well.

Life is good just to wake up without 100 tonnes of concrete on top of you and I remind myself everyday so lets all enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is not necessarily China itself, but the ever increasing demand for "cheaper" goods which is being satisfied across many parts of Asia (and places like South Africa too). Their factory wages and conditions are already rock bottom. The only way the price can be kept down to what the consumers keep demanding is by keeping the manufacturing quality of the goods to the bare bones minimum. A couple of quotes from my sparky, who has to deal with the influx of cheap and sometimes dangerous electrical imports: "they're the masters of minimalism, and they'll imprint any compliance stamp on it you want" and "buy cheap, buy twice".

A tiny bit less thickness on that gal coating. A bit less chromium in that steel. Never mind that aneroid capsule being right on the tolerance limit. Etc. This is how you get cheap goods, so I'd look very carefully at the quality reputation of any company I bought a precision instrument from, especially if the price is too good to be true. I think the OP has a good point.

But the altimeter didn't fail. It appears that the instrument tech wasn't capable of performing a calibration check on an otherwise functional altimeter and tagged it unservicable.

That sounds pretty much like the problem....Instrument fitters once were taught how to fix & calibrate stuff without a manual, but now all certified stuff has to be repaired and calibrated "in accordance with" a manual or standard or it's not legal. The equipment may still be in perfect working order, just doesn't have the right documentation trail.