Truth or fiction - F15 catastrophic airframe failure

I don't know the answer but I came across this a few months ago, about an F15 that lost a wing after colliding with a Skyhawk in a training exercise. The Israeli pilot wasn't aware that he lost the wing and continued to a successful landing ...

Apologies for the thread drift but if you haven't seen it, it's worth a look.

• Agree 1

Those are frames from a USAF reconstruction video of an actual incident according to a bit of googling.

My non pilot next door neighbour sends me every email he gets with wings in it, so I googled it to get a link to post here and about the third link suggested MYTH. I still had Kyle Comm. CGI ringing in my head, so was happy to go with Fiction.

I have to think the nose would have bent back, caught air and been initially overtaken by the airframe had that been real?

Made in China.

You misunderstand, the thread topic is American F15's not where Jabiru engine parts are made.

• Like 1

the thread topic is American F15's not where Jabiru engine parts are made.

Not Helpful, Informative, Optimistic or Creative, just good old fashioned Sarcastic, where is that sarcastic button when you need it?

That video is in the same category as the one with the aerobatic plane landing with only one wing. There's one about an Israeli F15 landing with one wing missing too. All hoaxes.

That link I posted is the Israeli F15 that lost a wing. I doubt it's a hoax since the video is the one from the History Channel, see the logo, bottom right of the screen.

Sorry, from the comments posted I thought it was the one where the cockpit breaks off.

I still believe the one wing video is a hoax. I can't believe any aircraft would be controllable with that much aerodynamic imbalance. The ONLY way it could happen is for (a) the aileron on the wing to have enough effect to be able to completely negate the lift of the wing and (b)the aircraft have enough lift from the remaining fuselage to lift itself. I only know of a limited lifting body aircraft and they were experimental. When I was in the USAF, I worked on F15s and I just don't believe this is possible.

Not Helpful, Informative, Optimistic or Creative, just good old fashioned Sarcastic, where is that sarcastic button when you need it?

Actually it was factual response to the sarcastic off topic quip that had no place in this thread which you must have missed, so here it is again, I'll even highlight it for you so you don't miss it this time ...

Made in China.

.. hope that helps.

Next time I'll simply report it, my mistake.

The F15 has full flying differential Horizontal stabilizers (Like a F111 ) it is plausible that they would over come the roll tendency of a F 15 with one wing missing, if the jet was going fast enough.

Actually it was factual response to the sarcastic off topic quip that had no place in this thread which you must have missed, so here it is again, I'll even highlight it for you so you don't miss it this time ...

Sorry I overlooked that as a general factual comment on the demise of all things manufactured in Australia.