Go To Top of page

Admin

I have just added another enhancement that is in the upcoming site update and this is the new "Go To Top" of page function.

Previously there was a link in every post that when clicked/tapped, you went to the top of the page. Now, as you scroll down on any page whether it is in the main forums list, the list of threads in a forum or the posts listed in a thread, a dark blue button appears in the bottom right corner of your screen for you to click/tap to return you to the top of the page.

I am 50/50 about it myself when I tested it on an iPad but I will leave it up to you to decide by way of your comments on whether to keep it or revert back to the old link style.

• Like 1

I like the design, font and font colour, but I would like to see the new block on every post as it was previously. The new design is easier to read, but it doesn't help if you want to go to the top of the page and you are near the middle of the posts on a page.

OME

Works OK for me on the IPad IanBob

Thanks Biggles...I found it a little spasmodic...I am using iPad 1 though and not sure whether that may have anything to do with it...probably not as it has the latest software.

So it looks like it is a winner then.

I am releasing these little enhancements into the site now to not only reduce the impact of the coming update but also for anything that I am unsure about to get feedback so thanks everyone

I like the design, font and font colour, but I would like to see the new block on every post as it was previously. The new design is easier to read, but it doesn't help if you want to go to the top of the page and you are near the middle of the posts on a page.OME

OME, it should appear (fade in) as you move away from the top of the page and then disappear once the site header is back in view

• Like 1

What is the button for?On an iPad, you only have to tap the top border to scroll to the top of a page.

On my PC I use a mouse gesture or .

For simplicity to those that are unaware of these things as it "displays" a solution to you

• 3 weeks later...
The button doesn't appear on my Nokia with WP8Rob

It uses jscript code so your phone operating system may not be compatible with it or something may be turned off on the phone...mobile phones can just use your finger swipe up which I think would be just as good

Thanks for that, no big deal, just thought you would like to know. You get used to it on the PC so when you are using the smartphone it's too much like exercise to do all that swiping.

it also doesn't let me add smilies.

Thanks for that, no big deal, just thought you would like to know. You get used to it on the PC so when you are using the smartphone it's too much like exercise to do all that swiping.it also doesn't let me add smilies.

It should let you add smilies...my Samsung Galaxy and my iPad does...unfortunately I can't test every smart phone, would be good fun though.

What operating system and browser is on the phone...is it Android and Chrome and if so do you know what versions?

It should let you add smilies...my Samsung Galaxy and my iPad does...unfortunately I can't test every smart phone, would be good fun though.What operating system and browser is on the phone...is it Android and Chrome and if so do you know what versions?

the phone is a Nokia Lumia 920 with windows phone 8 or WP 8 is. Uses internet explorer .033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

the phone is a Nokia Lumia 920 with windows phone 8 or WP 8 is. Uses internet explorer .033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

aha worked it out 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif needed to tap the smilies button again once I had selected one to go back to the message again.059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif just needed to be the bit more patient with it, I'm new to Windows 8 as well 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif..

You're right...just checked my Samsung Galaxy mobile phone and it isn't being shown when you use the Mobile Style of the site. There is software on the site that determines if you are using a mobile phone or a tablet or a PC and automatically shows a specific style of the site suited to the device type. On my Samsung it doesn't show however if I change over to the PC or Tablet style it is shown...the site is basically 3 sites in one

I will look into it however it would be very small on a phone and I would have thought the finger sweep up would be the natural way you would go to the top on a phone.