C.A.S.A ramp check

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I carry & havent had a problem when I was checked.

And your MTOW is how much??

These refer specifically to a VH registered aircraft which is where the regulations fall down. How is it that ag pilots can get away with a Gregory's street directory in a professional capacity and we have to carry more crap than can be carried on a shovel?

If you can prove that you plan to fly safely then the problem will not exist. If you want follow the rules then we do not have a licence (Certificate), do not require to carry a medical, do not require a maintenance release or a manifest of passengers so if you can get hold of the copy of the Flight Manual that is being used to prop up the passenger seat then you are legal for RAA

• Like 1

Yep, well I'm not going to carry all that crap with me.big_gun.gif.bf32cf238ff2a3722884beddb76a2705.gif

All I carry is my Licence,medical, flight manual (which should be in aircraft) maintenance relase. thats not a great deal of "crap" at all.

• Agree 1

And your MTOW is how much??These refer specifically to a VH registered aircraft which is where the regulations fall down. How is it that ag pilots can get away with a Gregory's street directory in a professional capacity and we have to carry more crap than can be carried on a shovel?

If you can prove that you plan to fly safely then the problem will not exist. If you want follow the rules then we do not have a licence (Certificate), do not require to carry a medical, do not require a maintenance release or a manifest of passengers so if you can get hold of the copy of the Flight Manual that is being used to prop up the passenger seat then you are legal for RAA[/quote

What are you guys going on about not carring this crap whats my MTOW . All you have to carry & show the inspector's is your licence, medical, flight manual, maintenance release that is all you are required to show them. Yes it is written for VH aircraft but doesnt RAA pilots have their licence & flight manual with them. http://192.69.222.91/attachments/ramp_check-1-pdf.21957/ Photocopy this link it is 1 page thats it, put it in your flight manual. Half way down the page there is a heading titled WHAT YOU NEED TO PRODUCE there are 5 items listed If you are an RAA pilot there are 2 items out of the 5 you will have.

Not rocket science guys.

my certificate is stuck to the dash,a/c log book,flight manual,all maps,ersa,and weather print outs in pilot side pouch,kneeboard containing flight plan,relevant map,(on knee) water bottle(coffee cup) in holders(pax side and between pilot legs).. leaves rear pax seat pouch for plb,laptop,and a dunny roll..

All I carry is my Licence,medical, flight manual (which should be in aircraft) maintenance relase. thats not a great deal of "crap" at all.

Exactly. As I said before, all my gear weighs perhaps 2kg and fits into a very small (shoebox size) backpack. The whole shebang weighs maybe 2kg. I really don't understand the 'all this crap is too heavy/complicated' argument.

- boingk

• Agree 1

Exactly. As I said before, all my gear weighs perhaps 2kg and fits into a very small (shoebox size) backpack. The whole shebang weighs maybe 2kg. I really don't understand the 'all this crap is too heavy/complicated' argument.- boingk

Where exactly are you going to install this small backpack on a Drifter AND be accessible in flight ?

Where exactly are you going to install this small backpack on a Drifter AND be accessible in flight ?

in the side door pocket? oh wait sorry,on the parcel shelf?ah hang on I mean ahh err ..hmmm?????????? maybe chest pack?ah nope ol big feller wont get the stick back..dang ummm????giant knee board maybe???? what do the trike fellers do?? wouldn't want stuff blowin back at that prop?

seriously where do you guys store your nav gear in the open contraptions? I never did x countries in me ol open bunyip.

• Like 1

I have my Ozrunways running magic black box on my right knee, and my maps with track drawn on and diversion lines as well, I have my flightplan printed and printouts of airfields that I'm either flying near or landing at, I have a note book with pen attached with frequencies and other quick access info available. All this paperwork is in a thin bag attached to the inside of te pod easy to get at and velcros closed so I don't loose the stuff through the prop, a bottle of water and a snack and I'm good for a few hours.

• Like 2

I used to use a jeppersen soft folder which was A5 in size, strapped to your knee and had a number of heavy duty plastic sleeves built in. Very comfortable and perfect to hold approach plates and copies of the relevant pages of your ERSA, nothing fell on the floor and if you are flying open cockpit would work treat I think.

That might do it.

Starting to get personal. Mod

Fly safe, have fun and follow the rules.

- boingk

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Hello folks can any one confirm or deny a roumour that we can refuse a ramp check, if approached by the CASA inspector are we at liberty to tell them to go away, is this correct or do they have the legal authority to carry one out against your will.

Millie,

It is my understanding that you must submit to a check otherwise you can have either your certificate suspended or aircraft grounded or both. Plus, there is a point based system that can fine you for non compliance, this also applies to DAMP checking, drug and alcohol, if you decline the exam it is an instant negative result and you will have your certificate suspended. The rules are there for us to follow ( I'm not saying you don't ) but know the rules and keep on the right side of them, when you get checked by CASA, treat it as a learning experience like landing at a new strip and not a person on a power trip trying to make your life hell.

• Informative 1

Hello folks can any one confirm or deny a roumour that we can refuse a ramp check, if approached by the CASA inspector are we at liberty to tell them to go away, is this correct or do they have the legal authority to carry one out against your will.

You can refuse But be prepared to walk home. Not a good idea especially when all it takes is to carry a couple of up to date doccuments. A lot less of a hassel than going down the other path.

flyerme made good point with c a s a ramp check I personally have been ramp checked 3 times and had no problems with the c a s a blokes on the ground at the front

currant e r s a currant maps mintance release flight plan fuel on board pilot cert flight manual for aircraft

if you are not prepared to carry items stay in the shed

no you cant refuse a ramp check as I see it

that is one statement I personally would not make neil

C'mon guys, lighten up a bit!

PN put it very well in advising to treat a ramp check as a learning experience. Flight planning is not about running around to see if the plane has a rego sticker or the flight manual is stowed, that is part of normal, daily operations.

Flight planning is exactly that - planning. If you have an open cockpit aircraft then plan ways to manage the flight and yes, I flew long trips in Drifters. The weather at best is only good for half a day so if you can prove to CASA that you have checked the weather and have made notes pertinent to your operation then all is good. Same for fuel and same for alternate landing sites.

Remember the 6P rule and lets keep the personals out of it hey!!

• Agree 3

Bingo, bilby54, when, as someone else put it, the 'ramp checks are a positive learning experience' line from CASA turns into 'here is a fine' and 'you have 30 days to pay that'.

Apologies for my outburst in a previous post, too, that was out of line.

Cheers - boingk

Edited to remove reference to deleted and moderated material....mod

Hey XAIR, you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say here.

As an RAA pilot, you do not have to carry a medical unless you are an instructor or are required to for medical reasons. RAA aircraft are not issued with Maintenance Releases which is why we need to have those little stickers displayed saying that people fly in these aircraft at their own risk.

If you are checked at a fly in such as Natfly then it would be fairly reasonable of the inspector to assume that you have flown from somewhere else to attend and they are really asking if you have done sufficient flight planning according to the rules to safely conduct the flight. My reference to what the MTOW was tongue in cheek as it has always been a standing joke that the aircraft is not ready to fly unless the paperwork equals the take off weight - a joke so lets keep it that way hey!!!

I applaud your attitude but it is fully within the inspectors right to ask if you have done a weight and balance or other planning which is not in your list

• Like 1

Hey XAIR, you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say here.As an RAA pilot, you do not have to carry a medical unless you are an instructor or are required to for medical reasons. RAA aircraft are not issued with Maintenance Releases which is why we need to have those little stickers displayed saying that people fly in these aircraft at their own risk.

If you are checked at a fly in such as Natfly then it would be fairly reasonable of the inspector to assume that you have flown from somewhere else to attend and they are really asking if you have done sufficient flight planning according to the rules to safely conduct the flight. My reference to what the MTOW was tongue in cheek as it has always been a standing joke that the aircraft is not ready to fly unless the paperwork equals the take off weight - a joke so lets keep it that way hey!!!

I applaud your attitude but it is fully within the inspectors right to ask if you have done a weight and balance or other planning which is not in your list

I knew what you were saying as I also fly RAA as well as GA.