C.A.S.A ramp check

with recent ramp checks and CASA appearences at local fly ins I think it would be a good idea for pilots to

have an idea of what is required.

to my knowledge to pass the ramp check:

up to date maps,charts,and ersa,A/C log ,A/C flight manual,pilot log,

complete flight plan, including fuel burn, heading and track,

current weather printed and carried

current certificate with appropriate endorcements

A/C reg up to date

A/C in airworthy order including all place cards (MTOW)

Anything I have missed ? please post

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all starting to sound a bit like GA don't you think?

If the purpose is to improve safety compliance then it may not be a bad thing.

I suspect it is to keep an eye on RA-Aus compliance and checks too - to see if they are up to scratch in discharging their delegated duties. If too many planes and pilots are not compliant with the rules and regs, then it would be viewed as a more systemic issue better approached higher up than with the pilots concerned. It does sound like another round of more "on the ground" audits may be occurring.

Guest nunans

If it's a "local" fly in and you aren't nav'ing to get there then all the weather, plan, charts etc aren't required.

I think the rest of the stuff (rego, flight manual, placards, licence) can usually be left in the plane and aren't a big deal to maintain.

I'm kinda wondering when it'll change from "smileys and just for education" to " here's a fine for non compliance " and " have a nice day you have thirty days to pay that"

If you were doing the right thing in the first place you wouldn't even be having that conversation.

Maybe this is what they are trying to instill in people - that they ARE around and ARE checking, so it would be advisable to get YOUR airmanship in order. You can't blame them for your lack of preparation.

• Like 2

If you were doing the right thing in the first place you wouldn't even be having that conversation. Maybe this is what they are trying to instill in people - that they ARE around and ARE checking, so it would be advisable to get YOUR airmanship in order. You can't blame them for your lack of preparation.

Well that would be great if it was clear what is required, just look at the thread on ozrunways, so why don't help us dumb asses to be safe ,what regs lay out exactly what we have to carry,,,now ,no opinions just the regs ,

Basic really isn't it?

Up to date maps covering route flown.

ELT if more than 25nm from base.

Demarcated flight plan + instruments.

Pilot logbook and aircraft signout including oil, fuel etc

Water for people on board.

Pilot certificate.

Watch/clock.

Reminder for SARTIME.

Pilot operating handbook.

Procedures sheet.

Think that's got it covered?

Well that would be great if it was clear what is required, just look at the thread on ozrunways, so why don't help us dumb asses to be safe ,what regs lay out exactly what we have to carry,,,now ,no opinions just the regs ,

CAR 233, 234, 235, 239, 244, 252A, 262, would be a good starting point.

Whilst not explicitly stated that you have to carry them, it makes sense that you should be able to show evidence of doing the flight planning and have documentation of such on hand per the regs.

• Agree 1

Basic really isn't it?Up to date maps covering route flown.

Pilot certificate.

Watch/clock.

Reminder for SARTIME.

Procedures sheet.

And the ramp; you forgot the ramp. That is what CASA comes to inspect. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Oh... you mean the thingy under the aileron and on the side of the rudder? I thought they were trim wedges???

Shows what I know!

004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

- boingk

EDIT: Should've put weather and ERSA pages in my last post. Doh.

and a bigger plane to carry it all in.

So ?,when is someone going to invent the trailer plane so we can cart all this stuff?

seriously I am keen to find out more about electronic options? Can I cart my laptop with me for Weather?ERSA? etc.or do I need to have them in printed form? would cut out some paper waistage!!!

With what I hear, all the clamp downs, ramp checks etc could possibly be because we have a divide in at CASA. On one hand we have McCormick who doesn't support self regulating bodies like RAAus, yet on the other hand we have ranks in CASA who do strongly support self regulating bodies. Whether this is just a psychological game by McCormick to make us lift our game or whether the ranks, in their support of self regulating bodies, are trying to prove that it is a worthy thing...if we behave ourselves. If we do behave ourselves, then there is no reason by the likes of McCormick etc to doubt that self regulation can and does work

• Agree 1

With what I hear, all the clamp downs, ramp checks etc could possibly be because we have a divide in at CASA. On one hand we have McCormick who doesn't support self regulating bodies like RAAus, yet on the other hand we have ranks in CASA who do strongly support self regulating bodies. Whether this is just a psychological game by McCormick to make us lift our game or whether the ranks, in their support of self regulating bodies, are trying to prove that it is a worthy thing...if we behave ourselves. If we do behave ourselves, then there is no reason by the likes of McCormick etc to doubt that self regulation can and does work

He is retiring soon.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

and a bigger plane to carry it all in.So ?,when is someone going to invent the trailer plane so we can cart all this stuff?

seriously I am keen to find out more about electronic options? Can I cart my laptop with me for Weather?ERSA? etc.or do I need to have them in printed form? would cut out some paper waistage!!!

According to the CASA reps, you may have the weather on a device saved as a file or some way that it can be read in printed form.

So to answer your question, yes, as long as it is saved somewhere and retrievable.

A snap shot of the page is not legal as there are more than one page in the weather reports. I didn't ask if it was ok to take snapshots of all the pages with iPad 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Phil

• Informative 1

Sure, and its my legal document. They want us to keep up to date with records and so on but don't want us to carry a logbook? Because they need it if we crash?

Little bit focused on failure don't you think?

- boingk

It's all starting to sound a bit like GA don't you think?

Well the aircraft are certainly looking a little bit like GA aircraft... If we go back to rag and tube and max height of 500 feet i'm sure CASA would be happy to start looking the other way.

• Informative 1

Basic really isn't it?Up to date maps covering route flown.

Pilot certificate.

Watch/clock.

Reminder for SARTIME.

Procedures sheet.

By this stage your average 95:10 is now overweight, you'll cop grief for that.

• Agree 1

Well the aircraft are certainly looking a little bit like GA aircraft... If we go back to rag and tube and max height of 500 feet i'm sure CASA would be happy to start looking the other way.

Good point volksy I have to agree

Sure, and its my legal document. They want us to keep up to date with records and so on but don't want us to carry a logbook? Because they need it if we crash?Little bit focused on failure don't you think?

- boingk

If more than one military aircraft go away on a trip, they swap their logs (ee500's) around, so that they're not carrying their own documentation.( yes it's on computer nowadays, but they still revert to hard copy when going bush)