Watch out for that......prop!

They may well have been grimacing but the video seems to show a distinct lack of urgency on the part of the bystanders while the victim bleeds out!

And as for "giving water": As previously mentioned by damkia, the reason you shouldn't give water after a serious injury is because the if the victim loses consciousness they have a risk of vomiting and aspirating (choking/drowning/etc) on the contents, not to mention that it increases the risk during the imminent surgery they'll require. Screw the water. Just put pressure on the bleeding and call an ambulance. (No, not my professional opinion, but that of my wife, who is a doctor and surgeon!)

In summary: engine running with spectators walking around the aircraft = recipe for disaster!

I don't dare even watch it...Seen another shocking one before - a guy gets out of his new helicopter and is so happy he raises his arms!!!

I think there was one of those in the UK a few years ago near Cambridge, where a guy landed his R22 behind his house, and his little lad ( 4yrs old. . .) ran out and he grabbed the child and picked him up, only to chuck his head up into the rotor disc,. . . . .? I don't think the child died, but it was a bit of an odd thing to do . . . ? I REFUSE to exit a rotorcraft until those blades have stopped turning. . . .until then, it's a potential death trap, especially on sloping ground, as the previous story was apparently. . . . This is civilian flying, It certainly AIN'T Vietnam. . . .

I think there was one of those in the UK a few years ago near Cambridge, where a guy landed his R22 behind his house, and his little lad ( 4yrs old. . .) ran out and he grabbed the child and picked him up, only to chuck his head up into the rotor disc,. . . . .? I don't think the child died, but it was a bit of an odd thing to do . . . ? I REFUSE to exit a rotorcraft until those blades have stopped turning. . . .until then, it's a potential death trap, especially on sloping ground, as the previous story was apparently. . . .

The helicopter awareness training I got was that it was safe to enter/exit with power to the rotors ("touch and go"), but not when the rotor was winding down as the droop on the blades increases quite dramatically. Also keep very good eye contact with the pilot and only approach the chopper from the front right hand side, directly in the pilots line of sight, until he is aware of you and ehat you are doing.

Tail rotors and booms can do a bit of damage too. Probably more dangerous as they make the chopper lose its stabilising torque when you lose a tail rotor blade, putting the pilot and anyone else in the vicinity in danger from an out of control gyrating ground level mess of metallic remains.

In the military you can't enter or leave a helicopter without a thumbs up from the pilot. Probably a good idea in civilian world as well methinks.

• Agree 2

this is why i have a strict rule about by standers and DOGS when the props turning......... but cats?

Cats ? A friend force landed in a field in his trike a few years ago,. . ., and rapidly discovered that he was inside the West Midlands Safari Park, and the "Cats" were rather large, with long manes and tawny coloured,. . . but they didn't seem interested apparently,. . .must have already been fed. . . . ( He never mentioned it. . .but I'll bet that the monkeys ripped off his windscreen wipers,. . . .they certainly did when I went there. . . .)

Phil

• Like 1

this is why i have a strict rule about by standers and DOGS when the props turning......... but cats?

I would be watching out for that overgrown Koala in your avatar. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.

Alan.

• Haha 1

I think there was one of those in the UK a few years ago near Cambridge, where a guy landed his R22 behind his house, and his little lad ( 4yrs old. . .) ran out and he grabbed the child and picked him up, only to chuck his head up into the rotor disc,. . . . .? I don't think the child died, but it was a bit of an odd thing to do . . . ? I REFUSE to exit a rotorcraft until those blades have stopped turning. . . .until then, it's a potential death trap, especially on sloping ground, as the previous story was apparently. . . . This is civilian flying, It certainly AIN'T Vietnam. . . .

This happens a lot in queensland with ceiling fans! 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

This happens a lot in queensland with ceiling fans! 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif Seen the results of standing on a bed with a metal ceiling fan on high - instant skin flap "comb-over" with newly red hair. Bled like a stuck pig too.....

"Dumb and dumberer", in A&E nothing surprises you.....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

In the military you can't enter or leave a helicopter without a thumbs up from the pilot. Probably a good idea in civilian world as well methinks.

I witnessed a passenger "Pick-up" where an Enstrom sat on the apron with rotors turning; the pilot gestured to the pax to enter the aircraft, who then jumped into the seat a little energetically and bumped into the cyclic as he did so. . . The aircraft gyrated around quite a bit, and I thought for one moment that it was going to tip over. . . the pilot shut it down and they went and had a cup of tea and a bit of quiet contemplation I guess !. . . perhaps a case for removal and stashment of the left stick ( if possible ) when non - pilots are being carried . .? ( Or even better still - - -SHUT the damn thing down, - - what's the all fired hurry ? it only takes two or three minutes. )

And as for ceiling fans,. . . . I HATE those analogue types, . . .too risky. I'm waiting for someone to invent a nice safe Digital one . . . ( ? )

Phil

At a local gliding club a dog was killed lunging at a turning prop. Engine had to stripped down costing thousands. Yet I still see dogs running around airfields.

We've got a lot of signs at local airfields saying "Dogs must be on a leash at all times". . . . I guess the problem is that most dogs can't read, and some owners are just plain daft. ( no pun intended )

One site has a new rule whereby any pilot taxying or running up must shut his engine down immediately if a small child appears to have got onto the airside area, even if he's parked a long way from the fence. . . . It could be argued that this rule is moderately sensible perhaps, but we may well end up with" warning sign overload . . . " 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif "All children must be kept on a lead ?

" ?

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there a nurse sometime ago that walked into the prop of a Flying Doctor aircraft whilst she was carrying a tray of medical bits? She lost both of her lower limbs, she was extremely lucky not to lose her life. Also a friend of mine an instructor in the Philippines who had been flying a Drifter on and off all day when was called over to an X-Air by another pilot. My friend lost situational awareness and walked into the prop of the X-Air. Remember that the engine mounting of the motor on the X-Air is high like a pusher mounting except it is a tractor configuration. My friend had his ear hanging by a thread, his shoulder cleaved out and lost his thumb and first finger. Although he won't admit it when one examines the position of his injuries just maybe he was using his mobile at the time. He was very lucky as he nearly bled out before he got medical attention. Where there is smoke there is usually fire and where there is an engine running on an airfield there is a prop somewhere, spinning!

It's an incredible hazard that most don't show enough respect for. Most of the older Lame's point the dangers put but a lot don't listen. The poor old dogs who bark at things that move don't have much of a chance. People and kids shouldn't be allowed to wander around active aircraft areas.. Nev

Hi Nev, a few years ago I owned a Supa Pup, one of the originals, it had a 447 motor. I had basically rebuilt the aeroplane after purchasing it from a cousin for $4,000. I was getting it ready to test run, sitting in the driver's seat, had the pull start handle in my hand, called clear prop after checking all around the area and yanked the thing, the prop went around and let out a loud yelp. Thank god it didn't start as my long time mate, my old dog had some how worked his way down to the airstrip and laid down under the prop. He must have stuck his head up when I called clear prop and got belted in the head with the prop. Luckily he wasn't hurt. I have no idea how he got there, to the planelocked and then under the plane without me seeing him. Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting him because I had left him closed in, in his run back at the house a good mile away. You can never be too observant. It would have been all over red rover for him if the motor had fired up.

I have a rule with aircraft when running, NO ONE COMES NEAR THE AIRCRAFT EVER, watched a fool load a family into a warrior without a shut down recently, it just takes a little slip or unbalance to go from an embarrassing moment to a tragedy.

Had a mate start towards my aircraft the other day to say something, real quick HANDUP to stop him, and shut down the engine, it's just not worth the risk or cost

Absolutely. In any other industrial situation it would have to have a guard over it. Even with the starter actioning it will be able to kill you without actually starting. When working on the engine disconnect the battery first as a spanner touching wire can actuate the starter. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1